UPDATE: Many thanks to the great volunteers and contributors, https://close1d2.org is fully funded & staffed for five more full years until December 31, 2027. This is a marathon NOT a sprint!
NOTE: site content was brought to our attention that could be harmful and or misleading, it has been removed, we apologize for any unintentional problems!
Our single goal is to promote the Health, Safety and Welfare of vulnerable populations including pregnant women, babies, school children and elderly.
Many thanks to A2 Hosting an Ann Arbor, Michigan company with excellent support staff & great performance!
a successful democracy requires
an informed & educated populace
whose voices are all heard!
A true measure of any group is how they respect the Health, Safety, and Welfare of the most vulnerable populations . . .
If pro is the opposite of con.
Is Progress the opposite of Congress?
Organized People Defeat Organized Money!
Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) & Ethylene Dibromide (EDB) is the unrecognized “Secondhand Smoke” of this decade (html) (html), only ten times worse!
1Q / January 2023 Update #1: What are the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Grinning Buffoons, Hostile Threatening Bullies, Town Idiots & Vengeful Flying Rodeo Clowns REALLY Thinking?
Attorney General James and Multistate Coalition Support EPA Finding on Danger of Plane Fuel (html) (pdf) 01-19-2023 (19pg) | New York State Attorney General. Joining Attorney General James in submitting today’s comment letter are the attorneys general of California, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Vermont, and Wisconsin.
Connecticut, The Office of the Attorney General William Tong, Attorney General Tong Supports EPA Finding on Leaded Aviation Gas (html) (pdf) 01-18-2023.
Earthjustice, Attorneys for Petitioners, sent letter (pdf) 01-17-2023 (24pg) to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Michael Regan in support of Proposed Finding that Lead Emissions from Aircraft Engines that Operate on Leaded Fuel Cause or Contribute to Air Pollution that May Reasonably Be Anticipated to Endanger Public Health and Welfare Docket EPA–HQ–OAR–2022–0389, on behalf of:
- Alaska Community Action on Toxics (ACAT)
- Center for Environmental Health (CEH)
- Oregon Aviation Watch (OAW)
- Friends of the Earth (FoE)
Letter January 17, 2023 (pdf) (63pg) to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Michael Regan in support of Proposed Finding that Lead Emissions from Aircraft Engines that Operate on Leaded Fuel Cause or Contribute to Air Pollution that May Reasonably Be Anticipated to Endanger Public Health and Welfare Docket EPA–HQ–OAR–2022–0389, submitted by Environmental Law Clinic, Mills Legal Clinic at Stanford Law School on behalf of:
- County of Santa Clara, California
- Bay Area Air Quality Management District, San Francisco, California
- City of Oakland, California
- City and County of San Francisco, California
- City of Santa Monica, California
- Boulder County, Colorado
- City of South Bend, Indiana
- City of Northampton, Massachusetts
- Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s Office (html) (html) (html), Michigan
- County of Travis, Texas
- Town of Middleton, Wisconsin
Findings of County-Commissioned Airborne Lead Study Published Online in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences –Office of Communications and Public Affairs (html) 01-11-2023 | County of Santa Clara. An abbreviated version of the 113-page (html) (pdf) results of an airborne lead contamination study commissioned by the County of Santa Clara, which found that children living near Reid-Hillview Airport had increased blood lead levels due to airport operations, have been published in the prestigious, peer-reviewed online version of the scientific journal – the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The County-commissioned study, Leaded Aviation Gasoline Exposure Risk at Reid-Hillview Airport in Santa Clara County, California (pdf) 08-03-2021 (131pg), on lead exposure risks for children found that leaded aviation fuel from airport operations contributed to significantly increased blood lead levels for those within a half-mile of Reid-Hillview Airport. For context, the lead levels during peak hours were double the levels seen during the height of the Flint Water Crisis in Michigan.
Letter (pdf) 03-21-2022 (14pg) to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Michael Regan in support of Proposed Finding that Lead Emissions from Aircraft Engines that Operate on Leaded Fuel Cause or Contribute to Air Pollution that May Reasonably Be Anticipated to Endanger Public Health and Welfare Docket EPA–HQ–OAR–2022–0389, urging the EPA to make the long-overdue endangerment finding for leaded aviation gasoline AKA Avgas AKA 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) submitted by Earthjustice on behalf of:
- Bay Area Air Quality Management District, San Francisco, California
- City and County of San Francisco, California
- City of Oakland, California
- City of Santa Monica, California
- County of Santa Clara, California
- Dane County Towns Association, Wisconsin
- Town of Middleton, Wisconsin
Letter (pdf) March 16, 2022 (46pg), in support of Docket ID No. EPA–HQ–OLEM–2021–0762: Multistate Comments Concerning EPA’s Draft Strategy to Reduce Lead Exposures and Disparities in U.S. Communities (November 16, 2021) to Michael Regan, Administrator, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) from Attorneys General of New York, California, District of Columbia (DC), Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Wisconsin.
Scientific Adjudication of Leaded aviation gasoline exposure risk and child blood lead levels Published by National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America
Leaded aviation gasoline exposure risk and child blood lead levels (html) (pdf) 01-10-2023 | The National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (NAS) PNAS Nexus (about) | Oxford Academic. PNAS Nexus, Volume 2, Issue 1, January 2023, pgac285, an Open Access Scientific Journal, a sibling journal to the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), https://doi.org/10.1093/pnasnexus/pgac285, states:
In support of the scientific adjudication of the Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) recently announced endangerment finding, Proposed Rule EPA-HQ-OAR-2022-0389-0001, this in-depth case study indicates that the deposition of Avgas AKA 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) significantly elevates the Blood Lead Levels (BLLs) of at-risk children. Zahran et al (11) find that sampled 1,043,391 children within 1km of 448 airports in Michigan are at greatest risk. The EPA (14) maintains that children within 500m of PEA-servicing airports are at highest risk of exposure to aviation-related atmospheric lead. Our inner distance of <0.5 miles (~800m) sits between the consensus range of exposure risk at 500m to 1km.
NOTE: “Leaded Aviation Gasoline” refers to Avgas AKA 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL). This is only one of MDOT’s many best kept secrets in Michigan!
Leaded aviation gasoline exposure risk and child blood lead levels (html) – PubMed | National Library of Medicine (NLM) | National Institute of Health (NIH) | U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) | USA.gov. Children’s Blood Lead Levels (BLLs) increase with measured concentrations of atmospheric lead at airports. In support of the scientific adjudication of the EPAs recently announced endangerment finding, this in-depth case study indicates that the deposition of avgas AKA 100LL Leaded aviation fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL), significantly elevates the BLLs of at-risk children. Keywords: aviation gasoline; Avgas; 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL); child blood lead level (BLL); piston-engine aircraft (PEA); piston engine helicopter (PEH). DOI: 10.1093/pnasnexus/pgac285.
Leaded aviation gasoline exposure risk and child blood lead levels (html) (pdf) – PMC | National Library of Medicine (NLM) | National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) | National Institute of Health (NIH) | U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) | USA.gov. PNAS Nexus. 2023 Jan; 2(1): pgac285. Published online 2023 Jan 10. doi: 10.1093/pnasnexus/pgac285. In the United States, hundreds of millions of gallons of tetraethyl lead-formulated gasoline [AKA Avgas AKA 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL)] are consumed by piston-engine aircraft (PEA) annually, resulting in an estimated half-million pounds of lead emitted into the environment. About four million persons reside, and about six hundred K-12th grade schools are located, within 500 meters of PEA-servicing airports. In a study involving over 1 million children and 448 airports in Michigan, Zahran et al (11) found that child BLLs: (1) increased dose-responsively in proximity to airports; (2) declined measurably among children sampled in the months after the tragic events of 9-11, resulting from an exogenous reduction in PEA traffic; (3) increased dose-responsively in the flow of [Piston Engine Aircraft including Piston Engine Helicopters (PEH)] PEA traffic across a subset of airports; and (4) increased in the percent of prevailing wind days drifting in the direction of a child’s residence.
Exactly what are these Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Grinning Buffoons, Hostile Threatening Bullies, Town Idiots & Vengeful Flying Rodeo Clowns REALLY thinking? Obviously ONLY about themselves, Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist unneeded non-essential non-strategic non-mission critical personal hobby, sport, recreational social entertainment venues, agendas & maximizing convenient unfettered instant access drive-up, park & fly leisure activities for the Select, the Privileged Few, at the Elite, Sanctioned, Protected Fiefdom Club House & Playground AKA “MDOT 1d2 Frat House” (google maps) Headquarters (HQ)!
Elite Local Executives, so-called prominent Business Owners, other so-called VIPs and MDOT cronies can’t be bothered with any added delays & inconveniences like all us ‘ordinary people’ AKA Taxpayers, many own multiple aircraft, some 2, 3 or more even up to 10, or ~$1 Million USD Cirrus SR22 or SR22Ts or high end Piston Engine Helicopters (PEH) easily priced at half a million USDs and easily higher ALL demand their unique special preferential treatment and “Their Freedom to Fly” that is owed to them.
It’s no longer the issue of wrong-doing, what’s done is done, it’s MDOT’s continued & concerted effort to acquiesce, conceal & cover-up, NO accountability, NO, transparency, NO public mention anywhere, NO public effort to protect ANYONE in Michigan, a clear dereliction of duty to protect ALL residents of Michigan, complete unadulterated incompetence coupled with professional negligence & social indifference while the Transportation & Mobility industry including Aviation, Aerospace, Automobile, Truck related Autonomous Vehicles (AV), Aircraft or Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) or Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) & related technologies move away from Michigan without massive incentives to re-locate or remain. The collective bunch of MDOT, assorted pals cronies families & friends, truly a gang of flying carnival geeks & rodeo clowns that could care less about vulnerable populations including pregnant women, babies, school children & elderly anywhere in Michigan!
NOTE: Michigan is in the Top Five States for diseases linked to air quality, racking up $1.5 billion per year in excess health care costs, with Southeast Michigan having some of the most polluted air. It’s easy to witness the ‘Slow-Motion Battle’ to protect ANY Michigan Residents, especially from the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Clown (dawn) Patrols everywhere you look, or at least at 448 locations plus the surrounding neighborhoods & schools anyway. MDOT is a NOT only a State of Michigan SoM) embarrassment, but a National & International embarrassment and disappointment as well. How will Michigan ever become a center for clean energy and electric vehicles riding in an MDOT Clown Mobile or MDOT Clown Airplane or MDOT Clown Helicopter? Seems like quite a stretch!
However, several things are crystal clear:
- Nothing is going to happen with MDOT on a “Wing and a Prayer”
- MDOT can’t continue to make stuff up as they go AKA “Fly by the Seat of Their Pants”
- MDOT can’t continue to “Wing It” with the world watching
- NO safe Atmospheric EXPOSURE level: Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) or Ethylene Dibromide (EDB)
- TEL a heavy metal, organometallic, organolead compound & EDB a banned pesticide, both identified well known Endocrine Disruptors (EDC) (pdf). The endocrine system is the network of glands and organs that produce, store, and secrete hormones. When functioning normally, the endocrine system works with other systems to regulate your body’s healthy development and function throughout life
- About 5 million people live within 500 meters of an airport runway
- About 163,000 children attend schools within 500 meters of a runway
- The EPA & especially the FAA do NOT really need more money, just need to cut phony costs & spend what they have properly for Taxpayer Protection & Demonstrable ROI including elimination of completely preventable negative health outcomes
The MDOT ‘Avgas AKA 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL)’ Denial Cover-up Debacle continues to be one of Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) mysteries & best kept secrets in the State of Michigan, second only to bogus MDOT “Aviation in Michigan” phony related costs, literally millions of misused taxpayer dollars, the largest single waste of taxpayer money in the entire history of Michigan! BTW: this is only the ‘Tip of the Iceberg’ when it comes to wasted Hard Earned Taxpayer Dollars plus continued duping Michigan Residents with phony bogus imaginary MDOT “Aviation in Michigan” hyperbole & delusions of grandeur BS, many more Taxpayer insulting details to come!
UPDATE: Early 2023 late 2022 someone in Michigan is very busy boring & extracting thousands of soil test samples within a square mile of the exalted “MDOT 1d2 Frat House”. BTW: someone forgot to tell MDOT there’s way more to Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) Poisoning & Exposure than only detecting TEL in dirt. While it is important, “Atmospheric Lead Exposure” is the real Key Performance Indicator (KPI). OMG, hopefully this isn’t another repeat of 2020 / 2021 MDOT efforts desperately trying to salvage, protect & save the fate of the “Club House” at the “MDOT 1d2 Frat House” at any cost but not sharing any details, test results or bogus claims! Another gimmick, decoy, distraction, all while “Atmospheric Lead Exposure” at levels 10 x less than NAAQS standards ALLOW permanently damaging Local PCCS school children! Or perhaps this round of soil sampling is done in an effort to ward off or counter any legal challenges related to claims of MDOT incompetence, professional negligence, etc. Guess nobody will ever really know?
Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Continues to Blatantly Flaunt Wasted Money on Phony “Aviation in Michigan” While Inflation Bites Taxpayers Hard and Michigan Population Declines
UPDATE: NOTHING has changed in February 2023 at the Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip in Canton Township Michigan, AKA the “MDOT Club House” AKA the “MDOT Frat House”, btw: just ONE of MANY Elite MDOT self-perpetuating personal hobby, sport, recreational entertainment social venues, with the same local defiant repeat Gang of “Usual Suspects”, same handful of local Flying Rodeo Clowns.
As in the past, includes many from other remote locations with no vested LOCAL Community interest that “descend like flies on poop” just looking to stir up a fight for any reason, truly Pro-Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) Provocateurs, Progressively Anti-Science, Anti-Pregnant-Mom-Babies-School-Children Pariah, Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist Puppets & Lackeys (SIILPLs), many “Social Flying Club” clowns, several “Commercial Business” interest Buffoons, even an Offshore Piston Engine Aircraft (PEA) Manufacturer joining the fray to further combined efforts of so-called Aerial protest, community punishment, revenge & retaliation via disingenuous low flying take-offs & landings meant to bully, harass and intimidate the general public with impunity practiced and expertly executed producing increased non-essential, non-mission critical, non-strategic aircraft including helicopter take-offs, landings, accidents & crashes, regularly flying aircraft with improperly configured or broken, tampered with or disabled ADS-B exactly for “disturbing the peace” and “public nuisance” revenge fly-bys intended to bully, harass and intimidate over local schools & densely populated neighborhoods.
The 1d2 “MDOT Frat House” continues to flourish complete with MDOT protection & impunity. BTW: many more appropriate underutilized FAA Towered Regional Airports alternatives exist and are conveniently located with minutes flying or driving time! Same Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) deception, bullying & lies, different decade for over 50 years and counting!
- Inflation is making the middle class tap their savings (html) 02-04-2023 | Fortune.
- Millennials are relying on parents to pay the bills (html) 02-04-2023 | Fortune.
- S. Census report for 2022 shows migration from Michigan (html) 01-24-2023 – Michigan Capitol Confidential.
- Michigan faces uphill fight to jumpstart sluggish population gain (html) 01-30-2023 | Ground News. Michigan faces an uphill fight to jumpstart what has been a slow and sporadic gain in residents during the past two decades, demographic experts said.
- How Michigan’s birth decline could impact the future of our economy (html) 01-18-2023 – YouTube. Michigan’s population loss has been costly. The state lost a congressional seat as part of the last census, and new numbers show the state’s birth rate is below its death rate for the second consecutive year.
- New census estimates show a tepid rise in U.S. population growth, buoyed by immigration (html) 01-04-2023 | Brookings. One of the highest level of natural decrease occurs in Michigan, which has relatively older populations.
- Michigan’s Population Continues to Plunge. Has Detroit’s? (html) 01-02-2023 – The Ballenger Report. The number of people living in Michigan slipped for the second consecutive year, according to new census data released a couple of weeks ago. Michigan was one of 18 states that saw population decline (actually we were 17th out of 50 states in population loss). Bottom line: Economist Don Grimes at the University of Michigan says that if this long-term trend of stagnant or declining population continues in Michigan, it will hurt our economy.
- Michigan losing population again, after decade of tepid growth, Census shows (html) 07-01-2022 | Bridge Michigan.
- A Third of States Lost Population in 2021 (html) 04-25-2022 | The Pew Charitable Trusts (PCT). Four states experienced population declines because more people moved out than in, and more people died than were born, this includes Michigan. Apart from states with declines one of the slowest population growth rates was recorded in Michigan.
- Michigan (html) Population 2023 (Demographics, Maps, Graphs).
- State of Michigan Population Structure, 1990-2019 (html) | Michigan Labor Market Information(MLMI) | Michigan Department of Technology, Management & Budget (MDTMB) | MI.gov.
Team 5: Get the Lead Out (html) — CleanEarth4Kids. There is NO SAFE LEVEL OF LEAD exposure according to the World Health Organization (WHO) (html) (html), the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) (html) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) (html).
Since when is any amount of lead allowed in baby food? (html) 01-31-2023 | Detroit News. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (US FDA) (html) 01-24-2023. Levels of lead in the environment can vary depending on the geographical makeup of local areas and proximity to current or past pollution, for example, from the widespread use of lead in a variety of products, such as gasoline [AKA Avgas AKA 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL)], urged food manufacturers last week to significantly reduce the amount of lead in processed baby food. Lead is toxic for anyone, but children are particularly vulnerable to the effects of lead exposure because they are still growing. Why is there any lead at all in my baby’s food? Fruits, vegetables, and grains absorb lead through the soil they’re grown in. Soil naturally contains some lead, though contamination from leaded gasoline, exterior lead-based paint, and industrial development have raised lead levels in soil.
EnviroMail 44 Canada – Tetraethyl Lead: Soil Testing and Sampling Artifacts from Entrained Solids in Groundwater (html) (pdf) 01-31-2023. Tetraethyl lead (TEL) in soils almost always co-occurs with residual hydrocarbons from historical gasoline contaminants, which can present serious challenges for its measurement at trace levels. | ALS | A Global Leader in laboratory testing, inspection, certification and verification solutions. Guided by science and innovation and grounded in a values-driven culture, we are committed to building a sustainable future for everyone. Safer, smarter, healthier, together!
A science-based agenda for health-protective chemical assessments and decisions: overview and consensus statement (html) (pdf) 01-12-2023 | Environmental Health. Low-wealth communities and communities of color often bear disproportionate burdens of exposure and impact; all compounded by regulatory delays to the detriment of public health. This consensus identifies five principles and scientific recommendations for improving how agencies like the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approach and conduct hazard and risk assessment and risk management analyses. These recommendations constitute key steps for improved evidence-based environmental health decision-making and public health protection.
Concentrated poverty, ambient air pollution, and child cognitive development (html) (pdf) 11-30-2022 | Science Advances. Although a large volume of evidence indicates that neighborhood poverty negatively affects child outcomes, little is known about the mechanisms that might explain these effects. In this study, we outline and test a theoretical model of neighborhood effects on cognitive development that highlights the mediating role of early life exposure to neurotoxic air pollution.
Lead exposure from general aviation emissions in the UK: A review and call for action (html) (pdf) 11-14-2022 – Mills – 2022 – Public Health Challenges – Wiley Online Library. Avgas has been shown to increase the blood lead levels (BLLs) of children living nearby to clinically significant levels. Whilst this problem is recognised by the EPA in the United States, it has received little attention in the United Kingdom.
MDPI | Biology | Free Full-Text | From Molecular to Functional Effects of Different Environmental Lead Exposure Paradigms (html) (pdf) 08-03-2022. Simple Summary: Our comparative study brings new insights regarding the effects of environmental lead exposure on the cardiorespiratory and nervous systems. We show how various kinds of exposure can lead to different toxicities, with various degrees of nefarious effects. The developmental period is of utmost importance to the toxicity of environmental lead; however, we found that the duration of exposure is the prime reason for stronger effects, even though the dual effect of intermittent exposure causes greater molecular neuronal alterations. https://doi.org/10.3390/biology11081164.
Lead exposure from general aviation emissions in the UK: a review and call for action (html) (pdf) 07-13-2022 | medRxiv. Leaded fuel emissions exposed a global population of children to lead and its profound health consequences. Recognition of its harms precipitated a global phase out and replacement with unleaded substitutes for road vehicles. Despite this widespread recognition and action, aviation fuel for piston engine aircraft (PEA) AKA Avgas AKA 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) still contains lead.
Considering Toxic Chemicals in the Etiology of Autism (html) (pdf) 12-01-2021 | Pediatrics (html) | American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). A large body of evidence, including decades of research on lead and child IQ, indicate a link between toxic environmental exposures and poorer neurodevelopmental outcomes. The environment may act in concert with genetic risk pathways or affect the intrauterine environment directly. In addition, the environment may induce similar epigenetic signatures in twins during gestation. Thus, the shared environment is itself complex and not easily disentangled from shared genetics. Given the emerging evidence and potential impact of work to investigate chemical exposures and autism, federal agencies and foundations must expand research funding for studies on environmental factors and gene environment interactions.
Pediatric Lead Poisoning and the Built Environment in Kansas City, Missouri 2000-2013 (html) (pdf) 2021. A Dissertation in Economics and Social Sciences | University of Missouri (UoM) Library Systems (UoMLS).
Screening for Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Childhood and Pregnancy: Updated Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force (html) 04-16-2019 | Guidelines | Journal American Medical Association (JAMA) | JAMA Network. Conclusions: Screening questionnaires were not accurate for identifying children with elevated blood lead levels. Chelating agents in children were not associated with sustained effects on blood level levels but were associated with harms. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2019.1004.
Monograph on Health Effects of Low-level Lead (html) June 1, 2012. Topic Overview. CASRN: 7439-92-1. Status: Evaluation completed. NTP Monograph – Final (pdf). National Toxicology Program (NTP) | National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) | National Institutes of Health (NIH) | U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (USDHHS) | USA.gov.
- Appendices A – E: Human Studies Considered in Developing Conclusions (pdf) (includes all appendices)
- Appendix A: Human Studies of Neurological Effects of Lead Considered in Developing Conclusions (pdf).
- Appendix B: Human Studies of Immune Effects of Lead Considered in Developing Conclusions (pdf).
- Appendix C: Human Studies of Cardiovascular Effects of Lead Considered in Developing Conclusions (pdf).
- Appendix D: Human Studies of Renal Effects of Lead Considered in Developing Conclusions (pdf).
- Appendix E: Human Studies of Reproductive and Developmental Effects of Lead Considered in Developing Conclusions (pdf).
Groups Comment on EPA Lead Endangerment Finding 01-18-2023 – Avweb
Groups Comment on EPA Lead Endangerment Finding (html) 01-18-2023 – Avweb. SEE SME comments:
- The answer is clear and logical. Just do it.
- Yeah! I can’t wait to give GAMI unlimited control and profit over our only fuel source once TEL is banned!
- but to suggest that the EPA’s decision to eliminate it is based on “non-scientific testing” is absurd and flat out wrong.
- I don’t dispute the facts; I dispute that banning 100LL (or gas stoves) will have any measurable impact on childrens health in cities. Basically you’re overturning an industry for zero (or unmeasurable gain) on childrens health. Cutting 100LL while letting people poop in the streets is irrational.
- I could care less about the EPA and AOPA, EAA because they DO NO CARE for me as a private pilot. All I need is 91 octane E-zero [MOGAS available since the 80s] and the entire world has refused to deliver it in any form at airports.
- But to say that the level of exposure to Pb from avgas to either pilots or the public is harmful is simply politically motivated nonsense.
- EAGLE is trying desperately [sp] to delay the roll out of any new STC’d fuel. Their candidate fuels are YEARS away from being ready, if they even work at all. They are also working HARD to prevent any of the MILLIONS of government monies from getting to the STC players SWIFT & GAMI to get their fuel out. GAMI’s is resorting to selling their STC now for a slightly higher than expected price so they can afford to get fuel made.
- GAMI’s already jacked up their price? Wow, that was sooner than expected. Giving a 100% monopoly over our sole remaining fuel source (once TEL is banned) to a single company couldn’t possibly have negative consequences for us, could it?
- My modern aircraft engine does not need lead and runs perfectly on 91 octane mogas, clean and efficient. If most FBO’s carried it I would be set.
- This is ridiculous and everyone out there should see this. Mobil, BP, Cenex, Phillips, Marathon gasoline all meet or exceed certain federal transportation fuel standards and I can put each and every one of them in my car without buying a license for 5 suppliers to burn it. Why are we treating aircraft any different like it is completely unique? Let’s cut the hokey here. These engines were, for the most part designed in the 1940s and have not undergone major engineering design enhancements in half a century. Most still use fixed advance magnetos, primitive carburetors or simple fuel injection systems with manual control of mixtures and primitive induction and control instrumentation. Fuel technology has evolved and we are no where near the same quality of any fuel pumped out of a fuel pump in 1940.
- When and where will this end? The FAA needs to set a standard, certify the fuel that meets the standard and that fuel should be usable by any aircraft without “STCs” or purchasing a fuel license/permit to use it.
- This whole issue is noting but a big annoyance shoved down upon us by incompetents in our FAA. The least intelligent people in aviation end up working there. The fellow that mentioned that the FAA needs to set up a minimum standard for Avifuel and then get out of the way is right. Keep those idiots away from anything to do with Aviation and the world and our lives will be better for it.
Sleepwalking To 100UL 01-13-2022 – Avweb
Sleepwalking To 100UL (html) 01-13-2022 – Avweb. In yet another milepost in the galactically slow train wreck that is finding a replacement for lead-spiked avgas, the EPA has finally announced its intent to declare leaded fuel environmentally hazardous. And this time, says EPA, we’re serious so all you FAA footdraggers better pay attention. No, really. We mean it. But wait, hold up. What the press release headline said was this, exactly: “EPA to Evaluate Whether Lead Emissions from Piston-Engine Aircraft Endanger Human Health and Welfare.” The waffle word here is “whether.” If the answer is no, no endangerment, then what? Or was this just sloppy prose? Try not to think about it.
I wouldn’t take a bet on any of this, but my guess is, given the FAA’s recent panicked reorganization of what sort of looks like the moribund Piston Aviation Fuels Initiative (PAFI) [AKA Pathetic Aviation Fuel Initiative], this time we might actually blunder toward a solution of some kind.
I’m not sure where this process is going because Shell, once thought to be a leading contender, exited PAFI [literally Dead on Arrival (DoA) for third time], Phillips 66 never entered it and the only company to produce a certified fuel, General Aviation Modifications Inc. (GAMI), was never in it, either. Swift also bailed.
See SME Comments:
- Lead is bad for people and for engines; the footdragging on unleaded AVGAS is nonsensical.
- And start providing MOGAS everywhere. Many planes can use MOGAS but airports don’t want to deal with it. They will be forced to change.
- One is alcohol free mogas availability. Overnight this will reduce the use of 100LL. My airport refuses to carry it so I tanker it in. It is available at the pump in premium grades 91/93, although my STC says it’ll run fine on 80/87. Some airports I regularly fly to carry it. One switched back from Swift to mogas.
- I suspect most aircraft engines could use high octane alcohol free mogas.
- European light aircraft generally either use Rotaxes running on Mogas, or diesels running on jet fuel.
- There is no earthly reason someone cannot produce a fadec for common aircraft engines that will let them run on premium Mogas; the only problem is certification, and a US legal system which preys on innovation.
- Most privately owned piston aircraft will run happily on 91 octane Mogas already, it is only the few firebreathing engines [e.g. ~$1M USD Cirrus Aircraft SR22 or SR22T] that need 100 Octane, and there are products available for them.
- IF necessary, I could rebuild it and then use MOGAS.
European Union (EU) to Sunset Tetraethyl Lead (TEL), Tetraethyllead, EC No: 201-075-4, CAS No: 78-00-2 on May 1, 2025
European Union (EU) to Sunset Tetraethyl Lead (TEL), Tetraethyllead, EC No: 201-075-4, CAS No: 78-00-2 on May 1, 2025:
- EUR-Lex, European Union (EU) Law: Commission Regulation (EU) 2022/586 of 8 April 2022 amending Annex XIV to Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council concerning the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) (html) (html)
- Tetraethyllead AKA Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) (html) (pdf) 04-08-2022, EC No: 201-075-4, CAS No: 78-00-2
- Sunset Effective date: May 1, 2025
- Intrinsic property(ies) referred to in Article 57: Toxic for reproduction (category 1A)
- Changes of market volumes of chemicals subject to authorisation in 2010-21 (pdf), October 2022 | European Chemicals Agency (ECHA).
Little Things Matter
- Little Things Matter (html). The Little Things Matter goal is to raise awareness of the environmental risks we face as a global community and to provide actionable steps to empower families. This is our pledge for prevention. We aim to shift the narrative from pursuing profits to protecting children and our planet. But this won’t happen until the public demands it. No safe blood lead level in children has been identified. Even low levels of lead in blood have been shown to negatively affect a child’s intelligence, ability to pay attention, and academic achievement. While the effects of lead poisoning may be permanent, if caught early, there are things parents can do to prevent further exposure and reduce damage to their child’s health.
- Crime of the Century: The Failure to Prevent the Lead Pandemic (html) 12-17-2018 8:31m – YouTube. Over the past century, the largest mass poisoning in human history – a corporate collusion to extract immense profit from the sale of the toxic metal lead – cast a shadow over the planet, leaving in its wake, death, disease and crime. The impact of Lead on ADHD. Levels of lead considered safe. The body burden of lead. Death for coronary heart disease.
- Little Things Matter: The Deadly Impact of Airborne Particles (html) 08-04-2017 4:14m- YouTube. The link between air pollution and death was established in a series of disasters around the world. About 15% of all deaths in the world are from ischemic heart disease; that’s when your heart literally suffocates. As the levels of air pollution increase, the percent of deaths from heart disease rises sharply – even at levels below the World Health Organization guidelines.
- Little Things Matter: The Impact of Toxic Chemicals on the Developing Brain (html) 01-06-2023 6:59m- YouTube.
- Autism web ltrbox 4K. Who is at risk? The impact of toxic chemicals on children’s behavior (html) 06-23-2021 1:03m – YouTube.
Major 1Q / 2Q 2023 Web Site Updates Directly Supporting Critical Health, Safety & Welfare Topics, Important Navigation & Content Updates Plus Detailed Exposés
Major Exposés / Updates coming 1Q / 2Q 2023 Directly Supporting Critical Health, Safety & Welfare Topics. Please check back often for updates!
Topic #1: EPA Leaded Aviation Fuel 100LL AKA Avgas with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) Endangerment Finding, Regulation & Outright Ban
Regarding Proposed Rule EPA-HQ-OAR-2022-0389-0001 by the Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) to Regulations.gov.
Federal Register :: Proposed Finding That Lead Emissions From Aircraft [Including Helicopter] Engines That Operate on Leaded Fuel Cause or Contribute to Air Pollution That May Reasonably Be Anticipated To Endanger Public Health and Welfare (html) (pdf) 10-17-2022, Document # 2022-22223.
A Proposed Rule by the Environmental Protection Agency on 10/17/2022.
Rulemaking Docket (EPA-HQ-OAR-2022-0389).
Proposed Rule (PR) EPA-HQ-OAR-2022-0389-0001 (html) (pdf). Proposed Finding that Lead Emissions from Aircraft [Including Helicopter] Engines that Operate on Leaded Fuel Cause or Contribute to Air Pollution that May Reasonably Be Anticipated to Endanger Public Health and Welfare. Posted by the Environmental Protection Agency on Oct 17, 2022.
Regulations for [Tetraethyl Lead (TEL)] Lead Emissions from Aircraft (html) | U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA).
NOTE: SEE EPA Particulate Matter PM2.5 comparison (image) showing combustion particle relative size, e.g. particulate matter less than < 2.5µ (microns) for Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) and other metals, almost thirty times smaller than human hair.
20,000 so-called aviation facilities in the United States provide 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel AKA Avgas, over 16 million people are within 1 kilometer of those facilities, this includes 3 million children. Over 600 schools are located within half a kilometer (500 meters or 1640 feet) of such sites. This includes three Michigan Plymouth Township & Canton Township area Schools, two which are Plymouth Canton Community Schools (PCCS) all within hundreds of feet of both “Run Up” areas at Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) owned non-essential non-strategic Personal Hobby, Sport, Recreational Social Entertainment Venue Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip (pdf) in Canton Township Michigan (MDOT) (MDOT) AKA the ”MDOT 1d2 Frat House”. How is it even possible to ignore an Alarming 47% increase of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in Plymouth Canton Community School System (PCCS) students (html) 07-17-2019 | Hometown Life | USA Today | Gannett.
Avgas AKA 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) poisoning at the ”MDOT 1d2 Frat House” and across the entire State of Michigan including minimally over a million kids near any one of 448 Aviation facilities & airstrips continue to be one of Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) mysteries & best kept secrets in the State of Michigan, second only to bogus MDOT “Aviation in Michigan” phony related costs, literally millions of misused taxpayer dollars, the largest single most hostile clandestine non-transparent insulting waste of taxpayer money in the entire history of Michigan! More details coming soon!
Please SEE Comment submitted by Close1d2.org Team regarding anticipated Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Avgas AKA 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) “Endangerment Finding” and “Complete Ban” on behalf of All Pregnant Moms, Babies, School Children & Elderly Across America:
Comment submitted by Matthew Grisius (html) 12-26-2022, Posted by the Environmental Protection Agency on Dec 28, 2022, Tracking Number: lc5-1q39-yi73, regarding EPA-HQ-OAR-2022-0389-0001 – Proposed Finding that Lead Emissions from Aircraft [Including Helicopter] Engines that Operate on Leaded Fuel Cause or Contribute to Air Pollution that May Reasonably Be Anticipated to Endanger Public Health and Welfare.
Please SEE Comment Attachments:
- Comment submitted by Matthew Grisius (pdf) 12-26-2022
- Reference attachment #2 (pdf) OAW_EPA_MichaelRegan_email_05-23-2022 (email to EPA Michael Regan)
- Reference attachment #3 (pdf) FOE_PM_04-04-2022 (PM2.5 Particulate Matter 2.5)
- Reference attachment #4 (pdf) EarthJustice_03-16-2022_EPA-HQ-OAR-2022-0389-0001
Executive Summary, Conclusion & Taxpayer Demands
Millions of Taxpayers deserve Accountability, Justice and Protection from Avgas AKA 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) “Involuntary Poisoning” violating individual “Bodily Integrity” rights protected by the United State Constitution including vulnerable populations such as pregnant moms, babies, school children & elderly and DEMAND:
- Immediate Full Endangerment Finding for Avgas AKA 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL)
- Immediate Ban on Avgas AKA 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL)
- Immediate Distribution of Multiple Existing Unleaded Aviation Fuel’s including Mogas per National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Regional Air Mobility (RAM) Blueprint with Back to Basics “Targeted Investments” at an enormous number of readily available Local Municipal, County, State or Federally owned Commercial Grade Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Towered facilities Across Entire United States
- Remedy & Right-size ridiculous ancient phony Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) justifications / ROI calculations, Budgeting and Bloated “Government Handouts” AKA “Aviation Welfare” AKA Airports Capital Improvement Plan (ACIP)
- Terminate & Right-size outrageous Subjective Monopolistic Protectionist Arbitrary Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) manufactured Bureaucratic Grant Assurance Obligations, harmful Protections & Red Tape
- Remove & Right-size ANY Federal Support and or subsidies and or “Government Handouts” AKA “Aviation Welfare” for non-essential & un-needed Personal Hobby Sport Recreational Social Entertainment Venues & Privately Owned Commercial Businesses
- Enact Federal MANDATES with stringent requirements eliminating Loopholes and “Multiple Conflict(s) of Interest” on Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to expedite the process of eliminating Avgas AKA 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) “Once and for All”
- Enact Federally MANDATED Airport Cooperative Research Program (ACRP) Key Airport Guide to: Evaluate, Verify and Validate Medical Implications of Long-Term Exposure to Unleaded Aviation Fuels with Proprietary Unleaded Chemical Compositions (PUCCs)
- Enact Federally MANDATED Airport Cooperative Research Program (ACRP) Key Airport Guide to: Implement 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) Contamination Abatement, Remediation, Cleanup, Removal, Disposal Best Practices, Protocols & Knowledge Base
- Extricate and ban RAMPANT Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist Pariah Political Agendas, Multiple Conflicts of Interest, Mis-Information, Dis-Information, Propaganda & Influence Peddling
- Enact Federally MANDATED U.S. Government Accountability (GAO) Avgas AKA 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) Transition Investigation
NOTE: Oakland County International Airport (KPTK) in Waterford Township, Michigan is in the top 95 of ALL Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) emitting airports in the United States and is featured in the Pulitzer.org funded four part series referenced in the EPA comment. SEE: Do You Live Close Enough to a Small U.S. Airport to Have Lead Exposure? Check Our Maps (html) 06-16-2022 | Pulitzer Center.
Please check back often for coming detailed Exposés including:
- Bogus Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) “Aviation in Michigan” phony related costs, literally millions of misused taxpayer dollars, the largest single most hostile clandestine non-transparent insulting waste of taxpayer money in the entire history of Michigan!
- Civil Air Patrol (CAP), a pathetic local ”MDOT 1d2 Frat House” based Civil Air Patrol (CAP) AKA Civil Air Pariah (CAP) AKA Swivel Chair Patrol (SCP).
- Extreme threatening violent rhetoric, coupled with revenge & retaliation via disingenuous low flying take-offs & landings, regularly flying aircraft with improperly configured or broken, tampered with or disabled ADS-B coupled with “disturbing the peace” and “public nuisance” revenge fly-bys meant to bully, harass and intimidate the general public with impunity practiced and expertly executed by individual aircraft including helicopters, and their owners, operators, so-called pilots (AKA flying rodeo clowns), especially the many so-called aviation clubs AKA flying clubs AKA “Social Clubs” based at cozy ”MDOT 1d2 Frat House” and other assorted local & non-local pariah, includes shameful & perhaps embarrassing publicly available information to identify hidden aircraft pariah “beneficial owner(s)”, and expose them for what & who they are and undoubtedly surprise or even shock Taxpayers!
BTW: A beneficial owner is a person who enjoys the benefits of ownership though a property’s title is in another name. Beneficial ownership is distinguished from legal ownership, though in most cases, the legal and beneficial owners are one and the same.
To register civil aircraft, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) generally relies on self-certification of registrants’ eligibility and does not verify key information. There are glaring risks associated with FAA not verifying applicant identity, ownership, and address information. The registry is further vulnerable to fraud and abuse when applicants register aircraft using opaque ownership structures that afford limited transparency into who is the actual beneficial owner (i.e., the person who ultimately owns and controls the aircraft). FAA is limited in its ability to prevent fraud and abuse in aircraft registrations, which enable aircraft-related criminal, national security, AND safety risks.
Most everyone knows some people act very poorly, recklessly or even threatening violently with malice when they believe nobody is looking or they cannot be directly identified to the Community they are bullying, harassing or intimidating.
Hiding behind these opaque ownership structures of varying sophistication, e.g. using corporate structures, LLCs & trusts, coupled with fake or misleading names & addresses which is common, generally obscures beneficial ownership, and in some cases makes it possible to almost completely block identification such that it hinders the ability of law-enforcement & safety officials to detect fraud and abuse while denying the general public the right to publicly identify beneficial owner(s) that might be involved in unsafe or even illicit operations. It appears that “hiding beneficial ownership” enables the belief or feeling of being invincible, that anything can be done anywhere with full impunity & protection.
BTW: using “opaque ownership structures” which also includes government or government related affiliations such as Civil Air Patrol (CAP) AKA Civil Air Pariah (CAP) registration to “hide behind” providing “blanket protection” with full immunity, impunity & invincibility to whomever is operating the CAP aircraft much to the chagrin of communities below wherever & whenever Civil Air Pariah (CAP) go. This is way more common that Taxpayers are aware of and is a well hidden secret!
SEE: Aviation: FAA Needs to Better Prevent, Detect, and Respond to Fraud and Abuse Risks in Aircraft Registration (html) (pdf) 03-25-2020 | U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO). The GAO made 15 recommendations, including that FAA verify key owner information. No improvements have been implemented.
- EPA to Evaluate Whether Lead Emissions from Piston-Engine Aircraft Endanger Human Health and Welfare (html) 01-12-2022 | US EPA plans to issue a proposal for public review and comment in 2022 and take final action in 2023. A Finalized EPA Endangerment Finding for Leaded Aviation Fuel will form the basis for regulatory control & phase-out of Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel AKA Avgas with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL).
- Supporting Petitions and EPA Response Memorandums related to Lead Emissions from Aircraft (html) | US EPA.
Topic #2: US House Committee on Oversight and Reform: Environment – Toxic Air: How 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel AKA Avgas with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) Is Poisoning America’s Children
- Toxic Air: How Leaded Aviation Fuel Is Poisoning America’s Children (html) 07-28-2022 | House Committee on Oversight and Reform. YouTube – Thursday, July 28, 2022, at 2:00 p.m. ET. The hearing is well worth listening to. It runs for 106-minutes, listening time is only 76-minutes, due to a 30-minute recess (starts at minute-24, skip ahead to minute-54) for a House Vote.
- “Toxic Air: How Leaded Aviation Fuel Is Poisoning America’s Children” (html)| Congress.gov | Library of Congress SEE: Video of Proceedings, Witness Testimony, Supporting Documentation, etc.
- “Toxic Air: How Leaded Aviation Fuel Is Poisoning America’s Children” (html) | Committee Repository | U.S. House of Representatives. SEE: memo – reference: Zahran, S., Iverson, T., McElmurry, S. P., and Weiler, S., The Effect of Leaded Aviation Gasoline on Blood Lead in Children, Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, (2017) (online at https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/691686) Links time and spatially referenced blood lead data from over a million children to 448 nearby airports in Michigan.
- The US House Committee expressed bipartisan shock at the scope of the problem and how hidden it has been from the public agenda.
- US Representative Rashida Tlaib, who represents the 13th congressional district in Michigan, voiced concern that the nation is undergoing a lead crisis, with action needed to protect people from lead exposure. “When planes from these airports fly over our communities, they are crop-dusting our neighborhoods with lead-poisoned air,” Tlaib said.
- 70 percent of all lead emissions, or over 450 tons, are emitted by Piston Engine Aircraft
- 20,000 aviation facilities in the US use 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel (Avgas), and within 1 kilometer of those facilities, there are over 16 million people, including 3 million children. Over 600 schools in the US are located within half a kilometer of such a site. This includes three Plymouth Canton Community Schools (PCCS) within hundreds of feet of both “Run Up” areas at Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) owned Canton Plymouth Mettetal (1d2) Airstrip in Canton Township Michigan.
- The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) & Michigan Aeronautics Commission (MAC) Clown Patrol aggressively expanded Canton-Plymouth Mettetal (1d2) airstrip that uses 100L Leaded Aviation Fuel (Avgas) with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) in densely populated neighborhoods surrounded by schools: HomeTownLife.com, part of the USAToday Network, reports an “Alarming increase in autistic students creates ongoing challenges for school districts”, the Plymouth–Canton Community Schools (PCCS) are facing a staggering 47% increase in the number of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) students enrolled in its district since 2010. PCCS employs approximately 150 Special Education staff members and a large group of para-professionals, and the costs to taxpayers are spiraling completely out of control.
Please Check Back Soon for This Major Web Site Update! Thank You for Your Patience!
- Earthjustice praises Congressional oversight of lead in aviation fuel (html) 07-29-2022 | Earthjustice. Despite multiple attempts to compel participation, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) notably declined to participate. We urge FAA and EPA to protect families and children by banning the use of leaded aviation fuel.
- Oregon Aviation Watch – Home. Research, educate and advocate on behalf of the public interest and public welfare about aviation issues to enhance and protect the quality of life for Oregon residents by eliminating the adverse impacts of aviation activity.
- C.A.G.E. – Citizens Against Gillespie’s Expansion. Citizens for a Friendly Airport filed a lawsuit against the County of San Diego due to a lack of transparency and deficient environmental studies to protect the residents of North County!
October 2020 (Week #40) – Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 Airstrip Still Open for “Business as Usual” – Dumping Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) & Ethylene Dibromide (EDB) on PCCS Schools, Surrounding Communities, and Businesses
Breaking News Flash – Canton Township, Michigan September 2020: Courageous, Dedicated & Skilled Michigan aviators but really wannabes (N99MQ) quell senior citizen revolt by severely startling wheelchair bound elderly 80 & 90 year old’s recovering at local retirement and rehabilitation homes, along with local neighborhood pregnant moms, families with school children, pushing strollers, walking their dogs with bizarre repeated aerial displays going round in little circles (html) all day long. Everyone is trembling, with laughter that is, after all this is quite an unseen before spectacle of macho air power & superiority! This strange toxic behavior is so predictable, laughable, basically a pathetic plea for attention, from somebody, anybody.
Surrounding communities are wondering how this weird malignant behavior is going to change community Health, Safety and Welfare concerns going forward. Is this really how Pure Michigan is going to attract necessary talent for Michigan to ever recover allowing Community Pariah & Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel based flying Rodeo Clowns free reign at MDOT owned & operated uncontrolled airstrips such as 1d2 and beyond?
Once informed with the true medical, scientific, and technological facts & information regarding Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) & Ethylene Dibromide (EDB) poisoning from Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel are exposed, NOBODY, including those in any technical community, such as librarians, teachers, engineers, mathematicians, geologists, biologists, police, firefighters, doctors, nurses, technicians, software developers, students, professors, and scientists, want to invest, live, raise a family, work, play, or shop anywhere near out of control MDOT and their Cronies uncontrolled systemic lead & chemical contamination and poisoning scattered across the entire State of Michigan.
NOTE: Astonishingly, both “run-up” areas at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip are as close as 190m to 950m from THREE schools & TWO elderly assisted living & rehabilitation facilities!
Since contacting Local, County, and State officials Monday April 10, 2017 to Thursday October 1, 2020, it has been:
- 3 years, 5 months, 21 days
- 41 months, 21 days
- 181 weeks and 3 days
- 1270 days
- 30,480 hours
- 1,828,800 minutes
Sometimes it’s difficult to really care about so many important individual issues when more than 1,000 Americans are dying every day, secret police are taking out their frustrations on suburban moms with rubber bullets, batons, teargas & pepper spray, U.S. economy plunged a record-shattering 32.9% annual rate, 19th straight week with more than 1 million people applied for jobless aid as layoffs keep rising while benefits expire, Detroit Automakers lose Billions, while Commercial Air travel not expected to recover until 2024. The catastrophic plunge in US GDP underscores unprecedented economic hit experts say will take years to fully recover from, and shows no signs of abating anytime soon while a record US budget deficit approaches 3 trillion dollars
But, it is comforting to local communities to know that the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) owned & operated Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip is still open for “Business as Usual”, a great uninterrupted summer vacation for all the privileged few at the airstrip. It seems that “Fixing the Damn Roads” is not a real taxpayer priority having been continually delayed, now even further extended by MDOT!
Silly hangar parties, clubhouse coffee klatsch gossip gatherings, even barbecuing next to the runway! No Sense of Urgency, or care in the world, certainly not about OTHER people’s neighborhoods, schools or vulnerable populations e.g. babies, children, pregnant moms, etc.
BTW: Critical new Henry Ford Medical Center (html) construction seems to have been halted, nobody wants to invest, live, work, shop, play, or raise a family anywhere near MDOT Cronies armed with Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) dumped on everyone across the state.
Civil Air patrol (CAP) Clowns (Swivel Chair Patrol) Civil Air Patrol Inc, 105 S Hansell ST, Maxwell AFB Alabama 36112 (CAP) [Facebook] [Michigan Wing] (Satellite) [DOD Maxwell-Gunter AFB] [Facebook] have stepped up their hostile activity towards the community and surrounding neighborhoods and seem to endorse, condone, support, sponsor, and or otherwise approve of Lead Poisoning of vulnerable populations at nearby schools and the entire community for that matter. Community members witness repeated banned touch-n-gos and report blue mustang only car parked at CAP hangars, hostile loser, consistently bad management decisions, community cannot wait for Civil Air Clown Patrol (CAP) to leave and take their petty revenge games to an industrial airport where they belong, not in densely populated neighborhoods surrounded by schools!
CFI Flights (94891) and other ‘Revenge Take Off and Landings’ continue from 7:30am until 9:30pm including many sad pathetic very specific local Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist ‘blow hards’ enabled, endorsed and supported by senior MAC & MDOT administration for sure. Never seen such an arrogant hostile bunch of wannabes that give responsible airmen and airwomen everywhere a bad name! Waste of oxygen and taxpayer money that’s for sure, they’re just embarrassing themselves and their respective communities on a continual basis. They wouldn’t do this in their own backyards (NIMBY), but they will do it in others backyards.
The real truth will ‘come out in the wash’ as they say (html) so everyone in the State of Michigan and across the country can see the true measure of MDOT & their Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist Cronies a combined group of sad little pathetic people that the local communities are dealing with, you can’t even make this stuff up.
See new section: “Michigan is Broken” (html) for embarrassing details that all Michiganders should know about to protect their neighborhoods, families, and vulnerable populations such as pregnant women, babies, children, schools and families!
See news section “Hall of Shame” (html) used to illustrate what kind of Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2, MDOT and Special Interest & Industry Lobbyists clowns the local schools neighborhoods and families are dealing with here.
Flint Lead Poisoning Debacle Civil Settlement Creating Huge Budget Holes, As Criminal Charges Now Looming Even Larger for True Justice
Water crisis settlement is a step in the right direction, not the end of the story, says Dr. Mona, August 20, 2020 (html) – mlive.com. FLINT, MI — The massive partial settlement by the state in water crisis lawsuits is a step in the right direction, Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha, the Flint pediatrician whose research helped end the city’s use of corrosive river water in 2015, said in a statement. She said she was grateful to learn that the settlement was driven by community voices and respects the science of child development. Never again should this country have to deal with the generational repercussions of a community “poisoned by policies,” she said.
“As we are all now amidst another preventable public health crisis, with so many parallels to Flint, money and resources only go so far,” she said. “Protecting a community requires leadership and vision, creativity and passion. It demands a respect for science, equity, and the proactive protection of our greatest resource, our children.”
State has to learn lessons from Flint water crisis, August 21, 2020 (html) | Detroit Free Press. $600 milllion later, what has Lansing learned from Flint’s water crisis? Turning point? Or more of the same? Is this justice for Flint? Not by a long shot. But it is a meaningful sum, addressed to those most vulnerable. Michigan’s economy is still on the ropes. The coronavirus pandemic continues, auguring state budget shortfalls for years to come. Meanwhile, Michiganders are continuing to reap the cost of chronic disinvestment. Our schools, underfunded for decades. Our neglected infrastructure, including our water and sewage systems, our bridges and our roads, continues to crumble. Our cities, whose residents have born the brunt of both the pandemic and its attendant economic damage, face fiscal crises that imperil their ability to sustain basic services. But do the state’s elected officials really understand how we got here? Or will they continue to disinvest in Michigan’s most neglected communities and use this crisis as an excuse to seed the next one?
Consultants say they’re scapegoats, won’t settle cases with Flint residents over water crisis, August 23, 2020 (html) – mlive.com. The Flint Lead Poisoning debacle that produced high levels of lead and bacteria in city water in 2014 and 2015 is the fault of government agencies, NOT the advice they provided to the city about various water problems. More than 100 lawsuits filed by city residents in state and federal court have accused defendants including the city, state, and federal governments as well as the consultants, of wrongdoing for their roles in the resulting water crisis.
Erin Brockovich Speaks Out After Michigan Agrees to Pay $600M to Flint Water Victims, August 20, 2020 (html) | PEOPLE.com. “The children of Flint will carry the scars of their poisoning for the rest of their lives,” Erin Brockovich says of the water crisis’ impact. “Power to the people,” the environmental and consumer advocate, 60, tells PEOPLE ahead of the state officially announcing their multi-million dollar settlement on Friday.
Getting cash from $600M Flint deal to take months; claims await OK, August 20, 2020 (html) | Detroit News.
Google News “600 million Flint Michigan settlement” (html) – Overview
Whitmer says Flint water crisis ‘Never should have happened,’ pledges continued support for city, August 20, 2020 (html) – mlive.com.
As Flint was slowly poisoned, Snyder’s inner circle failed to act, May 3, 2016 (html) | mLive.com. It still has never been fully explained how crucial information didn’t reach the governor, or why the Snyder administration allowed the people of Flint to use undrinkable water for so long.It’s all about the money and corporate cost saving ‘culture’ of an ex-accountant.
Michigan elected officials welcome Flint water crisis settlement, say there’s more work to do, August 20, 2020 (html) – mlive.com
‘The money is not justice’: Flint mothers express relief, skepticism about water crisis settlement, August 20, 2020 (html) – mlive.com
Flint settlement includes $9 million for special education students, August 20, 2020 (html) | Detroit News. Lead-poisoned children in Flint must be provided with all of the supports they need to learn and flourish, about 18,000 school-age children were exposed to lead during Flint’s water crisis.
$600M Flint water crisis settlement is more than the state has paid out for the last decades’ worth of lawsuits combined, August 19, 2020 (html) – mlive.com. A $600 million settlement would be a historically large one for the state. According to data from the Senate Fiscal Agency, it’s more than the $546 million the state has paid out in court judgements and settlements for every lawsuit against it, combined, in the last 10 fiscal years for which data is available. It’s not clear, yet, where the $600 million would come from as Michigan has some serious budget challenges ahead.
Michigan settles with Flint water crisis victims for more than $500 million: report August 20, 2020 (html) | Fox News. The state of Michigan has settled with victims of the Flint water crisis for more than $500 million, and details of the settlement are expected Friday. Dozens of lawsuits related to the Flint water crisis have been filed against the state of Michigan in recent years, so a settlement of this magnitude would be a huge development in the legal battle. NOTE: This settlement could mark the end of the civil side, but there still may be new criminal charges. In June 2019, Michigan Solicitor General Fadwa Hammoud dropped criminal charges against eight people tied to the Flint water crisis, and said her office was starting from scratch.
Michigan reaches over $500M settlement in Flint water crisis suits, August 20, 2020 (html) | Detroit News. The deal comes after several years of litigation in which Flint residents pursued damages from the state for the lead-contaminated water piped into many households. The settlement would be one of the largest in the state’s history. “If money is how government expresses sorrow for its crimes — this is a big apology,” Edwards said. The settlement comes as the state faces what experts say could be up to a $3 billion hole in next year’s budget because of decreased tax revenue during the coronavirus pandemic. The state has a fund that it draws settlement money from, but never one of this proportion. The settlement amount calls for the involvement of the Legislature to appropriate more money toward the agreement. The state needs to shift its focus to criminal prosecutions next and revive charges. “The second step (of justice) will be coming, I’m sure,” former special prosecutor Flood said, “with the criminal side of the case. I’m prayerful that that will come.”
Sources: Settlement imminent in Flint water lawsuits, August 19, 2020 (html) | Detroit Free Press. LANSING — The state of Michigan is close to a settlement totaling hundreds of millions of dollars for civil lawsuits arising from the lead contamination of Flint’s drinking water. Many details to be worked out, because of the complexity of the litigation and the large number of cases and defendants.
Michigan to Pay $600 Million to Victims of Flint Water Crisis, August 19, 2020 (html) – The New York Times. The state of Michigan is expected to pay about $600 million to victims of the Flint water crisis after thousands of Flint residents filed lawsuits against the state. Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha, a local pediatrician, and other scientists and researchers raised warnings that were initially disregarded by state and local officials. In fall 2015, in the face of overwhelming evidence, Gov. Rick Snyder of Michigan acknowledged that the water was not fine (html).
Google News – Report: Michigan reaches $600M deal in Flint water crisis (html) – Overview.
Getting cash from $600M Flint deal to take months; claims await OK, 08-20-2020 (html) | Detroit New. The process of distributing $600 million to more than 33,000 Flint water victims will likely take months to complete, and it’s unlikely the money for the settlement will be available until the beginning of 2021.
Flint activists and leaders demand Flint to be ‘made whole’ following $600M water settlement, 08-20-2020 (html) – mlive.com. FLINT, MI — A day after the announcement of the $600 million water crisis settlement, activists, church leaders and members of the city’s former governmental administration held a press conference to demand more for the citizens of Flint.
Neeley warns Flint residents not to be exploited after $600M water crisis settlement, 08-20-2020 (html) – mlive.com.
Michigan is Broken: Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Malfeasance Continues Rampant Non-Essential Hobbyist, Sport, Recreational Airport Funding at Taxpayer Expense!
Currently there are 19 self-sustaining Commercial airports (html) supported by the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) that benefit all Michigan taxpayers. This is great news and taxpayers will take all of the self-sustaining Commercial airports that keep society moving, growing sustainably, generating verifiable tax revenue & jobs. BTW: none of these airports need any help or intervention from MDOT to operate smoothly, just ask any of them! Most would prefer MDOT stay at ‘arms length’ as nobody can figure what they really do anyway besides doing the self-congratulatory ‘Living Legend’ strut very well.
However, Michigan really does not need more than one single, yes you read it correctly, one (1), a single Non-Commercial Non-Essential Hobby Sport, Recreational MDOT supported airport per Michigan county for a total of 83 Non-Essential Non-Commercial airports, bringing the Grand Total of ALL Michigan Airports to 19 Self-Supporting Commercial + 83 Non-Essential Non-Commercial Non-Self-Supporting Hobby, Sport, Recreational airports = 102 airports for the ENTIRE State of Michigan! Think about it, really, it just does NOT make any pragmatic sense and is completely indefensible without any real evidence and hard facts to have any more than 102 airports total.
There is no need for taxpayers to tolerate supporting more than 103 airports in the entire State of Michigan, period!
Even this is being overly generous as several Michigan counties do not have ANY registered aircraft at all! But alas, Michigan could say that the entire state could be connected via aviation, albeit in an out-of-date antiquated way where eVTOL or Future Vertical Lift (FVL) technology will render these antique Tetraethyl Leaded 100LL based junkpiles and relic airstrips obsolete, totally useless for future innovation & technology growth as they are now today. In fact, when people realize the many negative aspects they feel ‘chased’ away from even being close-by due to Health, Safety & Welfare well-being reasons, from totally unsustainable Tetraethyl Lead & PFAS dumps.
MDOT currently contributes, sponsors, supports, funds, requests and/or provides grants or Federal taxpayer dollars on behalf of, manages, owns or continues to dabble & needlessly interfere in the operation of and waste taxpayers hard earned money, State & Federal, for hundreds of airports, the majority of which are Non-Commercial, Non Self-Sustaining, many just airstrips, additionally the vast majority cannot exist on their own without ‘protection & oversight’ from the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Clown Patrol, and are certainly NOT important or even relevant to ANY National or State Transportation Plan, real or imagined, and never have been.
Currently there are 210 Non-Commercial airports (html) supported by the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) and the vast majority provide absolutely NO verifiable benefit for Michigan taxpayers at ALL, ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, NADA! They do not have anything to do with jobs or revenue at all.
Airports like Golf Courses are a wonderful thing for a very select few, and should be paid for by the people that use them, certainly NEVER paid for by Michigan taxpayers. This has NEVER been a taxpayer problem, MDOT has quietly, cleverly, almost secretly saddled Michigan taxpayers with the largest waste of taxpayer dollars in the history of Michigan. MDOT & MAC are after all are in reality ‘retirement homes’ for Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists, complete with multiple conflicts of interest.
Rapidly shrinking personal aviation demographics & severely reduced market demand are well known and common knowledge known by practically everyone in the Aerospace, Aviation & Defense industry for over a decade, yet MDOT has failed to adjust or even try to compensate budgets appropriately, recklessly continuing to waste tax payer dollars at the same woefully out of date levels of over a decade ago just because they can.
The financial aspects & implications of this continuous decades long downward spiral of Non-Commercial Non-Essential Hobby, Sport, Recreational aircraft owner & operator demographics as well as the Health, Safety and Welfare dangers of Tetraethyl Lead & PFAS are both common knowledge and are very well known in the Aviation, Aerospace, and Defense communities for well over a decade!
Supporting Non-Commercial Non-Essential airports or increasing the numbers of aircraft & helicopter owners or operators has NEVER been a taxpayer problem, however MDOT malfeasance, mismanagement, negligence, malpractice and abuse of power cleverly disguised Non-Commercial Non-Essential airports & their other related issues as taxpayer problems!
MDOT has ignored their ‘Duty to Intervene’ in terms of Health, Safety and Welfare as well as their fiduciary responsibility to taxpayers. One of the highest legal duties of one party to another, being a fiduciary, requires trust & being bound ethically to act in the other’s best interests, MDOT has blatantly shunned ethics altogether and continues to acquiesce betraying the public trust.
The whole group of clowns, that is the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT), the Michigan Aeronautical Commission (MAC), and their Special Interest and Industry Lobbyist cronies, pals, and buffoons are truly a State of Michigan embarrassment and a National scandal & disgrace.
Time to remember that over 11,000 families lost their homes in the Edenville Dam area with yet another declared state of emergency, all while schools and roads crumble yet MDOT budgets continue to thrive, even expand and grow consuming scarce 2020 Federal CARES (html) (map) dollars! Canton-Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip received $30,000.00 Federal CARES act money and used it for weekend overtime to cut the lawn and install new landscaping mulch for MDOT advertised Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist parties!
The total number of aircraft in Michigan as shown by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Registry – Aircraft – State / County Inquiry (html), is less than 7,080 and shrinking quickly, which btw includes all hot air balloons (html) (html) (html) (pdf) (pdf) [Wikipedia] [Wikipedia]. Balloons are fully registered aircraft by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and are subject to regular airworthiness checks by authorized personnel. Balloon pilots need to have different levels of experience before they are allowed to progress to be commercial Balloon pilots, this is carefully controlled & monitored by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), as is anything else that appears in the sky, even some ‘aircraft’ that do NOT require any certificate, uh minimum ‘license’ or permit to operate, and these other ‘aircraft’ are barely ‘aircraft’ at all.
NOTE: the total number of FAA registrations in Michigan is way less than the number of families that lost their homes and livelihoods, over 11,000, while the extremely high costs to operate & maintain 210 Non-Commercial Non-Essential Michigan airports for the miniscule total number of Michigan aircraft are certainly not borne evenly, justly or even rationally.
To see just how totally outrageous MDOT is see the comparison that shows MDOT unrealistic budget ambitions are almost equal with the State of California (html), yet Michigan has one quarter, yes 25% of the requirements of California! It’s easy to see how MDOT funding is way out of control (html)! It is just sickening to see Michigan Schools & Infrastructure suffer at the expense of blatant MDOT malfeasance & abuse!
Time to FORCE Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) like the rest of the world with transparency, accountability, consequences for ethics violations, abusing & breaking rules and laws, while cleaning up the MDOT trail of Tetraethyl Lead & PFAS cover-ups, Poisoning & Contamination, and STOPPING the continuous waste & abuse of taxpayer time, effort & resources across the State of Michigan.
It’s way past time to cut taxpayer losses, consolidate & downsize MDOT spending, staffing, useless consulting budgets & fraudulent ambitions and align MDOT with real-world taxpayer realities. The time to #DefundMDOTClownPatrol is NOW!
The State of Michigan is Falling Apart at the Seams, So Michigan Aeronautics Commission (MAC), Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) & Michigan Association of Airport Executives (MAAE) Plan Five Day Party at Exclusive Mackinac Island, Michigan Four Star Luxury Resort!
The entire United States including the State of Michigan is Falling Apart at the Seams, especially our schools & infrastructure. Michigan airport employees are starting to suffer from COVID-19 impact as well.
- Are layoffs coming to DTW? (html) | Fox2 Detroit.
- DTW announces layoffs; number of employees affected not yet determined (html) | WXYZ.
- Detroit airport announces layoffs (html) – mlive.com.
- Layoffs, separations coming to Detroit Metro Airport due to financial hit from COVID-19 pandemic (html) | Click on Detroit.
- Layoffs coming to DTW as airlines struggle to stay afloat travel reductions (html) | Fox2 Detroit.
What does MDOT, do they manipulate a vendor Boondoggle & plan it as an MDOT office party to “Party Like It’s 1999” as is their usual modus operandi.
The Michigan Aeronautics Commission (MAC) Meeting (pdf) Wednesday September 16, 2020 is at Mackinac Island, Michigan. The 2020 meeting will be in conjunction with the Michigan Association of Airport Executives (MAAE) Fall Conference on Mackinac Island, how convenient.The MAAE annual meeting is to help Assisting Airport Executives in Fulfilling Their Responsibilities to the Airports & Communities They Serve.
The MAAE Annual Fall Conference held in September of each year and provides an excellent opportunity for Airport Managers, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and State Office of Aeronautics Representatives (More MDOT Clowns along for yet another free-ride fancy office boondoggle), airport engineers, consultants and airport equipment and service providers to meet, exchange ideas and discuss problems and solutions facing Michigan airports.
The 2020 Annual MAAE Fall Conference, September 14-18, 2020 will be held at Mission Point (html). Truly, a First Class Award Winning hotel on the shores of Mackinac Island. Voted ‘Best Place to Stay in Michigan’ by Condé Nast Traveller (html). Mackinac Island, Michigan (html) (html) (html) (html) (html) (html) (PureMichigan). I guess all State departments of transportation stay at Four Star Luxury Resort Hotels for ‘business meetings’ right?
Gimme a break pullleeeze! Michigan is falling apart at the seams, however MDOT just got a quarter billion dollars, yes $256 million Federal CARES Act dollars, so it’s time to celebrate some more at taxpayers expense.
See Mackinac Island Michigan Mission Point Luxury Resort (Google map). I think we’d all like to have our ‘business meetings’ at this awesome place, right?
This is the typical bootlicker ‘business meeting’ complete with Sponsorships, Door Prizes, Lighthouse Tours and Golf Outings, where all the important MDOT business is conducted! Many say Mission Point is the best ‘alternative’ to the Mackinac Island Grand Hotel (html) [Wikipedia], if you can’t afford, or in this case if you can’t get away with it, e.g. ‘expense it’. Somehow, unbeknownst to anyone else, besides MDOT, Specials Interest & Industry Lobbyists groups or Highly Paid & Trusted Consultants this meeting must be a mandatory requirement for either the State of Michigan or a National transportation Plan or both!
When it comes to Consequences and Public Funding | General Aviation News (html), some in the industry call this the Kabuki dance — posturing between the airport consultants and the government’s gate-keepers, the people in a state’s division of aviation who dole out the funding. That consultants are very good at this dance can be seen at any given annual conference for a state airport association. The largest sponsors and exhibitors are invariably the consultants. It also comes as no surprise that there exists a revolving door between the bureaucrats who control who-gets-what and the management of leading consulting firms.
Wow, you can’t even make this stuff up . . .
Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Dupes Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) & US Department of Transportation (US DOT) for More Than a Quarter Billion Dollars, $256 Million Dollars and Counting!
Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) – funding airports like propping up zombie companies with zero accountability to taxpayers! Once you get the MDOT stink on you it’s almost impossible to get it off.
The United States will slowly recover but is in challenging financial trouble for the next decade or more. The report “An Update to the Economic Outlook: 2020 to 2030” (html) (pdf) by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) states their belief that the unemployment rate won’t recover for the next decade.America’s recovery from the pandemic recession could last well through the better part of the next decade, according to the Congressional Budget Office’s 10-year forecast published Thursday July 2, 2020. The CBO now forecasts the unemployment rate will remain above its pre-pandemic level until after 2030!
Noted US economist says a full US recovery is unlikely before 2022 — and warns of a stock-market correction before year-end (html) | Markets Insider. Most experts agree, it will take a long time for life to return to anything near normal.
Meanwhile real US gross domestic product, the broadest measure of the economy, will be an average 3.4% lower over the next decade than what was originally predicted in January. This means the U.S. economy will grow by over $7.9 trillion less than was originally expected. It will take until 2028 until GDP will grow in line with long-term trend growth again.
But wait, that’s not all: This recession could nearly quadruple the federal budget deficit this year, pushing it to a whopping $3.7 trillion, according to projections from April. MDOT fails to ‘get’ the memo everyone else got.
Lest we forget, 1.3 million more Americans file for unemployment benefits in July as states reverse reopening (html) | MSNBC | Stephanie Ruhle.
USDOT $10 Billion Dollar ‘Relief’ Package
U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao Announces $10 Billion in Relief for America’s Airports (html)| US Department of Transportation. “This $10 billion in emergency resources will help fund the continued operations of our nation’s airports during this crisis and save workers’ jobs,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao. The CARES Act also provides funds to increase the Federal share to 100 percent for grants awarded under the fiscal year 2020 appropriations for Airport Improvement Program (AIP) and Supplemental Discretionary grants.
Under normal circumstances, AIP grant recipients contribute a matching percentage of the project costs. Providing this additional funding and eliminating the local share will allow critical safety and capacity projects to continue as planned regardless of airport sponsors’ current financial circumstances. It appears MDOT believes that a long stay at a Four Star Luxury Resort Hotels for ‘business meetings’ is critical, while employees at DTW lose their jobs.
U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao Announces $477 Million in Infrastructure Grants to 264 Airports in 44 States (html)| US Department of Transportation. This is the third allotment of the total $3.18 billion in Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Airport Improvement Program (AIP) funding for airports across the United States. See the complete listing of grants (html).
This large amount of taxpayer dollars is in addition to the previous announcement that U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao Announces $477 Million in Infrastructure Grants to 264 Airports in 44 States (html) | US Department of Transportation.
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) CARES Act
FAA 2020 CARES Act Grants – Airports (html). The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act (H.R. 748, Public Law 116-136) (pdf), signed into law by President Donald Trump on March 27, 2020, includes $10 billion in funds to be awarded as economic relief to eligible U.S. airports affected by the prevention of, preparation for, and response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- FAA Map of CARES Funding (html).
- CARES Act airport allocations – Central States (html) including Michigan – Google My Maps.
MDOT Bloated Phony Grants & More Wasted Tax Dollars
USDOT Announces Over $1 Billion in Grants to 439 Airports in 50 States (html).
“The 439 grants will ensure that airport sponsors can make the necessary improvements so their airports can operate in a safe and efficient manner for years to come,” said FAA Administrator Stephen M. Dickson.
Michigan airports awarded $256 million in coronavirus crisis aid (html)- mlive.com. The Federal Aviation Administration funding will support airports experiencing severe economic disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
$256-million dollars in grants will be distributed to help airports get through the crisis and prepare for when people resume normal air travel.
“The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted every business sector — big and small — across Michigan and these grants will provide much-needed resources to help airports across the state weather this public health crisis and be prepared when more people resume air travel,” said Governor Gretchen Whitmer in a written statement. “I want to thank our congressional leaders for securing this critical funding.”
You might think that 264 airports / 44 states = 4 airports per state? And you might also think that all of the airports accommodate normal air travel, right?
Or maybe you would think the median or average distribution of funding w/b each of 44 states would receive funding for 4 airports for a total of 264 airports. NO, Michigan had 90 airports or 22.5 times the National average for state that did receive funding! A quarter of a billion dollars, $256 Million dollars in addition to the already bloated many Millions of dollars of wasted budget, we can’t be sure where the money is wasted due to lack of visibility as to the true amount. First, nobody knows how much is being spent, and secondly nobody knows where it is being spent! Thirdly, the grants are based on out-of-date amateur estimates that no longer apply, clearly deceiving taxpayers along the way. Here’s some back of the envelope calculating:
$477m, 44 states, 264 airports
$477m / 264 = 1,806,818.18 US average airport payout
$256m / 90 = 2,844,444.44 MI average airport payout
MI 90 airports = 34% of total airport 264
MI $256m 53% of total grants $477m
44 264 100% $477m 100%
MI 90 34% $256m 53%
Of the 439 AIP Grants MDOT also received more additional funding:
AIP SUPPLEMENTAL TOTAL
Michigan $47,278,711 $9,366,667 $56,645,378
Astonishing amounts of money! Just because MDOT ‘requested’ and ‘received’ money does NOT constitute an ‘endorsement’, ‘approval’ or any indication of ‘validity’ from US DOT or FAA at all, for what was requested! Using the 80/20 rule, generously, for MDOT:
MDOT Commercial Airport requests – 80% might be valid, 20% probably phony?
MDOT Non-Commercial airstrip requests – 80% probably phony, 20% might be valid?
Nobody knows for sure, there is ZERO transparency in the MDOT Fiefdom [define], MDOT is basically an area over which someone exercises control [NOT taxpayers] as or in the manner of a [personally biased non-essential hobby, sport, recreational MDOT aviation] Feudal Lord. MDOT is propping up ‘Zombie Airstrips’ all over the State of Michigan.
Taking advantage of Taxpayer generosity is no longer an option at a time of shrinking budgets, especially at the expense of education, jobs & a sustainable future for all Michigan residents.
MDOT continues blatant malfeasance, abuse, malpractice, negligence with multiple conflicts of interest, using outdated exaggerated National Airspace System (NAS) inventory assets & stats:
- MDOT continues to invest in outdated, unsustainable technology they and their friends, family, contractors, consultants, Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists are personally heavily over invested in equipment & facilities that have no verifiable ROI for generating revenue or jobs growth for Michigan taxpayers.
- Many close-by alternate ‘real’ airports that highlight Canton Plymouth Mettetal (1d2) is unneeded based on Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requirements and guidelines, however MDOT & MAC members DO live close by to ‘protect’ their turf.
- MDOT supports 100’s of Non-Essential Non-Commercial Hobby, Sport, Recreational airstrips that are NOT taxpayer concerns.
- Own, finance & operates airports for the wealthy (html) including Canton Plymouth Mettetal (html) (1d2), Linden’s Price’s Airport (html) (9G2) (html), how many others are? Even Michigan lawmakers can’t figure it out!
- Ignore ‘Duty to Intervene’ in fiduciary responsibility to taxpayers Fraudulent non-verifiable biased amateur estimates, e.g. made by people that own & operate aircraft, based on obsolete decades old market size & demand that is common knowledge and well known in the industry.
- Ignore ‘Duty to Intervene’ in terms of Health, Safety and Welfare of vulnerable populations
- Conspire, acquiesce with other State of Michigan Departments, bureaucrats & politicians to actively coverup Leaded Aviation 100LL Tetraethyl Lead & PFAS contamination & poisoning referencing Blood Lead Level (BLL) data from 1,043,391 Michigan children to 448 nearby airports in Michigan (html), as well as a subset of airports with detailed data on the volume of piston-engine aircraft traffic.
- Aggressive Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip expansion & growth directly correlates to 47% increase (html) in the number of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) students at Plymouth-Canton Community Schools (PCCS).
- MDOT Retirement Home & Concierge service for Special Interests & industry Lobbyists creating one gigantic MDOT ‘conflict of interest’.
- Abuse Federal, State & Local funding including CARES Act money with Four-Star Luxury Resort Hotel parties, weekend overtime for lawn cutting and installing landscaping mulch, paying & supplying equipment including cell phones, etc. to State compensated third party Contractors, Special Interest & Industry Lobbyists to work on their own aircraft and others, hosting, advertising & facilitating semi-private Special Interest & Industry Lobbyists parties on State owned property.
- Ignore ‘Duty to Intervene’ Failed to notify Michigan Medical Systems & General Public of Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning dangers, Duped Henry Ford Medical System with Plymouth & Canton townships, exposing government failures at every level across multiple departments.
- MDOT actively providing false contacts, web sites, addresses, emails & phone numbers owned by Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists NOT owned or operated by the State of Michigan. Actively supporting, facilitating, executing weekend Special Interest & Industry Lobbyists Activities, Events, etc.
MDOT Enabled by Problems at Every Level of State Government
Reports and references are available here:
- US Department of Transportation (DOT)
- Office of Inspector General (OIG)
- DOT Employee Whistleblower Protection (html)
- Report Fraud Hotline – Report Fraud, Waste & Abuse (html)
BTW: the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) appears to have more OIG reports than any other US Agency at (1336). There is also an unusually large number of Michigan aviation related reports (html).
January 28, 2020, Audit Initiated of FAA’s Oversight of the National Airspace System Inventory (html) (pdf). OIG initiating an audit of FAA’s oversight of its National Airspace System (NAS) inventory. The audit objective was to determine if FAA has effective oversight controls for managing the NAS inventory, including controls to appropriately account for excess, obsolete, or unserviceable items.
The results were disturbing. Recent reports from the Office of Inspector General (OIG) and an independent public accountant have found weaknesses in the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) internal controls for tracking inventory. In December 2019, OIG reported that the Agency’s Logistics Center does not have a detailed aging report for tracking its inventory supporting the National Airspace System (NAS), which might include items that are 30 or more years old. As such, OIG could not determine if FAA had overstated the inventory value, reported as $656 million in 2018. In addition, in a review of FAA’s financial statements for fiscal years 2018 and 2017, KPMG LLP found that the Agency’s controls were not designed and implemented to ensure the accuracy of inventory data.
April 20, 2020, Memorandum to the Secretary: Supporting DOT’s Efforts To Meet CARES Act Responsibilities (html) (pdf). Additionally, as the Department is aware, the volume of CARES Act funds and the speed with which they must be disbursed puts them at a higher risk for fraud, waste, and abuse. The volume of CARES Act funds and the speed with which they must be disbursed puts them at a higher risk for fraud, waste, and abuse.
June 17, 2020, Memorandum to the Secretary: Key Potential Risk Areas for the Department of Transportation in Overseeing CARES Act Requirements (html) (pdf). By maintaining focus on these risk areas early on and putting in place key internal controls, DOT can promote efficiencies; help ensure compliance; and better prevent fraud, waste, and abuse.
Congress Created Virus Aid, Then Reaped the Benefits | US News (html) | AP News (html).
Unfortunately, much of the CARES Act funding is bogus and hurts taxpayers with fraud, waste, and abuse. Besides the ridiculous MDOT funding levels based on phony decades old amateur stats, here are more examples:
Similar MDOT ‘Like Examples’ of CARES Act Fraud, Waste, and Abuse
Why Is Humboldt County’s $17M Windfall in CARES Act Funding for COVID Relief Going to the Airport, Of All Places? (html) | Lost Coast Outpost | Humboldt County News. If that sounds like a lot of money for our little regional airport, well, it is. The figure represents four times the airport’s annual operating expenses. All of which raises the question: Is the airport really where federal relief funds are most needed right now? Our local airport isn’t the only one to haul in an unexpectedly large sum. Regional airports across the country have received what Politico dubbed (html) “CARES Act Bonanzas,” with figures that left airport administrators and industry experts scratching their heads (html). ‘Windfall’: Funding formula allows some small airports to cash in big on stimulus money. Some facilities receive enough money to pay for decades of operations – others just a few months, many shouldn’t receive any taxpayer dollars at all.
Feds sending $108 million to Ohio airports as part of CARES Act (html) | Ohio | thecentersquare.com. The Buckeye State received less than half of that of Michigan, where 94 airports received a total of nearly $257 million.
Avoiding Improper Use of CARES Act Airport Grants (html) – Law360.
FAA takes back 80% of CARES Act funding for Merced Regional Airport (html) | YourCentralValley.com.
California City of Santa Monica might forgo airport grant to guarantee 2028 closure (html) | Santa Monica Daily Press.
Why some small airports got Cares Act bonanzas (html) – POLITICO.
Covid-19: GAO Can’t Solve the $2.7 Trillion Federal Aid Mystery (html) – Bloomberg. A lack of transparency and accountability means few know where federal money is landing, what impact it’s having and how the effort to battle the virus is going. Last week, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) issued the first comprehensive analysis (html) (pdf) of how trillions of dollars of taxpayer money is being spent to protect Americans, the economy and public services from the ravages of Covid-19. Its broad conclusions aren’t reassuring.
U.S. GAO – Airport Infrastructure: Information on Funding and Financing for Planned Projects (html) (pdf) (highlights pdf), Feb 13, 2020. “Inadequate funds” translates to “Taxpayer Dollars Wasted” with no ROI especially for Non-Commercial superfluous duplicate airstrips that generate no revenue or jobs, e.g. located within short distances of other airports that do generate revenue and jobs.
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, Transportation Research Board, Financing Airport Improvements (html) (pdf), 2019-3-15.
U.S. Airport Infrastructure Funding and Financing: Issues and Policy Options Pursuant to Section 122 of the 2018 Federal Aviation Administration Reauthorization Act (html) (pdf), appendixes (pdf)| RAND. Smaller airports by definition have a smaller user base that offers fewer opportunities for raising revenue. These airports are therefore more reliant on federal grants than larger airports for paying the high fixed costs related to runways, taxiways, aprons, safety, and security. Taxpayers should NOT be paying for any of these Non-Essential Non-Commercial Hobby, Sport, Recreational airstrips and the associated high fixed cost necessities.
A ‘rare’ good example use of FAA funds: Final Environmental Assessment (pdf): Runway 14-32 Closure and Removal, Willow Run Airport (YIP), June 2014, Ypsilanti, MI. Prepared on behalf of: Wayne County Airport Authority (WCAA) Wayne County (html), Michigan (html).
Congressional Budget Office (CBO) Financing Small Commercial-Service Airports: Federal Policies and Options (pdf), April 1999. Applies to Commercial, NOT Non-Essential Non-Commercial Hobby, Sport, Recreational airstrips that fall thru the cracks and leech taxpayer dollars on useless MDOT “Pork Barrel” projects.
Michigan State Airport System Plan (now called MASP) from 1990 (pdf). Canton-Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 wasn’t even on the radar so to speak. Report shows roughly 1 airport per county for counties with aircraft requirements including existing Very High Frequency (VHF) Omni-Directional Range (VOR) VORs requirements are probably pretty much still the same. MDOT aggressively expanded 1d2 because several MDOT & MAC members live close by, and otherwise is not strategic or required for any transportation plan at the State or National (Federal) level, and never has been.
State Aviation Journal (html) – might help to try to figure out what the MDOT Clown Patrol is thinking, but then again probably not?
It’s not even possible to make this stuff up, zero checks & balances, incredible largest waste of taxpayer money in the history of the State of Michigan that continues!
Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Immune From All COVID-19 Limitations
In a matter of months, the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic has killed more than 112,000 Americans, cost more than 41 million people their jobs, based on initial jobless claim filings, and completely upended the longest economic expansion in U.S. history.
An unprecedented physical and financial toll over the very short term that led Congress to pass and the president to sign the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act into law more in under two months.
Now the State of Michigan, counties, and municipalities are deep in red ink, hemorrhaging money and the State of Michigan Department of Transportation continues to fund & operate Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip, a major source of Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning in densely populated neighborhoods closely surrounded by many schools abusing Local, State and Federal taxpayer money openly laughing.
Plymouth Canton Community Schools (PCCS) facing massive state funding decrease (html) – Plymouth-Canton Community Schools (PCCS) leaders brace for potential devastating cuts to state funding. The severity of funding cuts was uncertain, however, estimates as high as $2,000 per student are possible while MDOT flaunts the abuse of Local, State and Federal dollars for weekend overtime to cut the lawn and add new landscaping mulch to facilitate, plan, execute and support Parties (Fly-Ins) for Wealthy Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists! This most certainly is MDOT malfeasance of the highest degree on display!
The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) continues their decades old journey wading further and further into the private sector, and has not learned a thing continuing to support and subsidize un-needed non-essential Recreational, Sport, Hobby Airstrips across the State of Michigan. When the MDOT folly is revealed it will amount to the largest single waste of taxpayer money in the history of Michigan, millions and millions of taxpayer dollars with no provable benefits or ROI, only biased phony stats and fabricated testimonials made up using amateur estimates with multiple conflicts of interest. MDOT continues to condone, support, acquiesce, and even openly advocate and encourage sickening Michigan residents with Tetraethyl Lead from Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel damaging & destroying the Health, Safety & Welfare of vulnerable populations.
It’s all about Privilege, Wealth, and Connections judging by the number of Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Administration and Michigan Aeronautical Commission (MAC) officials that live close by protecting their ‘sponsored’ non-essential Hobby, Sport Recreational select ‘pet project’ airstrips of their choice across the State of Michigan. In the case of Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip, MDOT/MAC officials live very close minutes away in Dearborn, Canton, Plymouth Townships etc.
Nobody will miss any of these hostile clowns once they can no longer destroy the Health, Safety and Welfare of Canton and Plymouth Township Michigan. Taxpayers will realize they’ve been duped by the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) for the last 20 years. It’s just a matter of time until all these turds (html) get flushed from our neighborhoods and communities, the sooner the better! Nationwide Flint Michigan is synonymous with Lead Poisoning and Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Owned & Operated Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 is synonymous with Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning!
Why is Michigan in The Airport Business? (html) – Michigan Capitol Confidential. Michigan Lawmakers have been asking questions but not finding answers. Nobody can get straight answers (from the Michigan Department of Transportation MDOT) about what the costs are and why taxpayers and the State of Michigan continue to be ripped off by MDOT malfeasance, negligence and malpractice.
With more than 200 airports in Michigan available for public use, which is way too many per capita btw, nobody in the State of Michigan is convinced that State ownership of any of these ridiculous airstrips is critical. Besides Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2, Linden’s Price’s Airport (9G2), largely serves the needs of a private group of people who own homes with attached hangars, adjacent to the state-owned runway. Non-essential Hobby, Sport, Recreational airstrips, a travesty and blatant abuse of taxpayer money the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) thinks they can continue to fund, operate, and hide.
James Hohman (html) [Facebook], director of fiscal policy at the Mackinac Center for Public Policy (html), said operating the airports without annual subsides is laudable, but “these are private purposes that can be provided by the private sector without the state needing to get involved.” Taxpayers demand investments in Schools & Infrastructure for the good of all, not continued special MDOT treatment for wealthy Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists across the State of Michigan. Favoritism, bias and multiple conflicts of interest appear to be the typical MDOT modus operandi and show a continuing pattern of negative MDOT behavior resulting in the largest waste of taxpayer dollars in the history of Michigan.
Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 openly ridicules and mocks the FAA including local Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO), laughs at FAA “Safety Classes” and boasts of FAA, aka “the Feds”, and their inability to enforce any rules as 1d2 locals are protected from Federal abuse or intervention at a State of Michigan Department of Transportation owned and operated airstrip. This includes not only MDOT clowns & bullies and their appointed third-party contractors, but also Special Interests, Industry Lobbyists plus family and friends. Helicopter Maintenance Repair Overhaul (MRO) [Wikipedia] [pdf] should have never be allowed to operate in densely populated neighborhoods surrounded by schools under any circumstances.
MDOT makes archaic public statements regarding misleading test findings, facts, statistics and conceals information related to Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning from Leaded 100LL Aviation fuel. Michigan taxpayers must be given accurate, complete and timely information to understand, respond to and limit the impact of Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning from Leaded 100LL Aviation fuel and its devastating effect on Vulnerable populations across the State of Michigan.
MDOT continues to perpetrate the largest waste of taxpayer money over the last 25 years sickening local communities, defying logic, all common sense, financial, scientific, and medical facts, all with no end game in sight. It’s desperate times like these that make it clear to examine every line-item in any Michigan or MDOT budget for waste, abuse and mis-use of taxpayer funds at every airport & airstrip with any MDOT involvement across the entire State of Michigan.
MDOT has run rampant for too long prioritizing MDOT personal agendas at the expense of Public Education and the Health, Safety and Welfare of children, neighborhoods and families. The special interests and industry lobbyists that benefit from using these facilities must pay for them themselves, NOT Michigan taxpayers.
It’s also clear that air pollution, like that from 100LL Lead Aviation Fuel exacerbates Covid-19 (html)(html) (html)(html) – A recent study found that even small increases in fine particulate matter, known as PM2.5, have had an outsized effect in the US. An increase of just 1 microgram per cubic meter corresponded to a 15% increase in Covid-19 deaths (html) (pdf), according to the researchers at the Harvard University (html) T.H. Chan School of Public Health (html). Areas With More Air Pollution Do Have Had More Covid-19 Fatalities (html). COVID-19 PM2.5 Project (html) – Exposure to air pollution and COVID-19 mortality in the United States (Updated April 5, 2020). The latest on the coronavirus (html) | News | Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Is air pollution making the coronavirus pandemic even more deadly (html)?
Experts are predicting that the crisis (medical & financial) will persist for two more years – Covid-19 Pandemic Likely to Last Two Years, Report Says (html) – A report from University of Minnesota (UMinn) Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) – COVID-19: The CIDRAP Viewpoint (pdf) predicts the coronavirus pandemic is likely to continue in waves that could last beyond 2022. Additionally, the Pandemic’s Long-Term Pain Is Just Becoming Clear to Markets. Investors Beware, Virus’s Long-Term Pain Just Becoming Clear (html). Study sees need for some social distancing into 2022 to curb coronavirus (html). Projecting the transmission dynamics of SARS-CoV-2 through the postpandemic period (html) (pdf) | American Association for the Advancement of Science. Analysis suggests states need to plan for second wave of COVID-19 (html).
It’s certainly way past due to shut down Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip to protect the Health, Safety and Welfare of surrounding communities and protect Michigan taxpayers hard earned money!
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) & Michigan Regional Aviation Cuts
American Airlines suspends service to 15 U.S. cities, August 19, 2020 (html) – CBS News. 15 cities including Kalamazoo, Michigan. Travel industry experts have predicted that the pandemic could cost domestic airlines more than $20 billion in lost revenue this year. The industry globally could lose up to $84 billion this year, according to the International Air Transport Association. More than 80,000 pilots, flight attendants and other airline workers could be furloughed as carriers attempt to navigate catastrophic losses stemming from COVID-19.
Delta will stop flying to 11 US cities indefinitely: list (html) – Business Insider. The US Department of Transportation (html) approved the cuts, scheduled to take effect on July 8, which primarily affect small regional destinations across the US.
Delta Air Lines announced the suspension of service to 11 American cities indefinitely as part of an effort to reduce its route network after a devastating first half of 2020. Effective July 8, the cuts come as part of Delta’s plan to reduce domestic flying by 80% for the second quarter and international flying by 90%.
Flint, Michigan: Flint Bishop International Airport (html) (KFNT) will no longer see Delta service to Atlanta, the airline’s Detroit hub is less than an hour drive away.
Delta to suspend flying in select U.S. cities (html) | Delta News Hub. Flint, MI (KFNT) Bishop International Airport, Flint Michigan.
Airlines seek to cut service at these cities due to the coronavirus (html) | USA Today. Cities push back as airlines seek dozens of new service cuts. Is your airport on the list? Three airports in Michigan landed some congressional support in their bid for clout with the DOT. Michigan’s two senators, Debbie Stabenow and Gary Peters, teamed with Reps. Fred Upton, Daniel Kildee and Elissa Slotkin in a bipartisan protest cuts service in Lansing, Flint and Kalamazoo/Battle Creek. Their letter said the proposed cuts “do not comport with Congress’ intent to preserve aviation service” in having passed the federal stimulus bill that bailed out the airline industry.
Press Releases | Newsroom | U.S. Senator Gary Peters of Michigan. Peters, Stabenow, Upton, Kildee, Slotkin Urge Trump Administration to Reject Requests to Halt Service at Airports in Lansing, Flint & Kalamazoo/Battle Creek (html). Text of the letter is copied below and available (pdf).
Delta Airlines aims to suspend flights in Lansing, officials push back (html) | Lansing State Journal. Sen. Gary Peters, Sen. Debbie Stabenow, Rep. Elissa Slotkin, Rep. Dan Kildee, all Democrats, and Rep Fred Upton, a Republican, Monday sent a letter to federal transportation officials asking them to preserve service to the Capital Region International Airport in Lansing, as well as airports in Flint and Kalamazoo.
$10M to help offset losses at Capital Region International Airport (html) | Lansing State Journal. More than $10 million from the federal government will help sustain Lansing’s Capital Region International Airport (html) (KLAN) during the novel coronavirus outbreak. The Capital Region International Airport will get $10.3 million of the $256 million provided to Michigan through the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act to offset any impact from the COVID-19 outbreak. The Mason Jewett Field Airport (KTEW) will get roughly $30,000 through the grant program.
The Economy Will Not Soon Return to Normal: Here’s Why (html) – Friday May 22, 2020 the FAA granted airlines the right to halt service to regional cities. As many as 60 cities face flight shutdowns, some may be cancelled for good. This includes Flint Michigan (Delta) and Kalamazoo Michigan (United) for now, and probably many more to come. An objection period lasts through next Thursday May 28, 2020 when the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) will make a final ruling. The airlines have targeted 60 cities. Airlines should certainly decide, not the government, and there should be complete transparency so taxpayers know what’s going on with their tax dollars.
Michigan Regional Impact – Taxpayers may be inconvenienced a bit, having to drive an additional hour or less, the FAA should announce more details shortly.
- Airlines to Abandon Dozens of Regional Cities (html).
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information from the FAA (html). For latest FAA updates refer to: Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update (html).
- Essential Air Service (html) | US Department of Transportation. Essential Air Service (EAS) – Abused program shows total waste of taxpayer dollars when people can drive a car a short distance to a major airport.
Congressional Research Service (html) – R44176 – Essential Air Service (EAS), Updated December 19, 2018 (pdf). The 70-Mile Rule and Measures to Shrink the Program. Over the years, Congress has sought to limit the scope of the EAS program, mostly by eliminating subsidy support for communities within a reasonable driving distance of a major hub airport and by imposing a cap on the per-passenger subsidy. Although numerous communities have been removed from the program, these efforts have generally failed to contain overall spending on EAS.
The Department of Transportation and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2000 prohibited DOT from subsidizing carriers that provide EAS service to communities in the 48 states plus Puerto Rico that are located fewer than 70 highway miles from the nearest large or medium hub airport.
These measures are meant to protect Air Carriers AND taxpayers. Taxpayers get stuck footing the bill at the Local, State, and Federal level by design.
This would eliminate large amounts of Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) taxpayer waste for phony, misleading and fraudulent justification & support for airports & airstrips on life support that are absolutely NO LONGER required, and really never have been! Michigan taxpayers have been duped long enough.
It’s time to get the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) involved along with the Federal Inspector General to reveal Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) fraud on the grandest scale. Phony, misleading, fraudulent Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Michigan Aviation System Plan (MASP) (pdf) tries to support & justify Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip generates higher benefits & ROI than Flint Michigan FNT (KFNT). The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) continues the largest waste of Local, State, and Federal tax dollars in the history of Michigan!
- Aviation (html) | Office of Inspector General (html) | U.S. Department of Transportation (html).
- USDOJ Office of the Inspector General (html).
- USDOJ/OIG | Report Waste, Fraud, or Abuse (html).
- USDOJ/OIG | Whistleblower Rights and Protections (html).
- Oversight.gov (html) | All Federal Inspector General Reports in One Place.
- Report Fraud Hotline (html) | Office of Inspector General | U.S. Department of Transportation.
- FAA Hotline Information System (FHIS) | US Department of Transportation.
- POGO.org Project on Government Oversight (POGO).
- Report Waste, Fraud, Abuse, or Retaliation (html) | Oversight.gov.
- U.S. GAO – Commercial Aviation: Effects of Changes to the Essential Air Service Program, and Stakeholders’ Views on Benefits, Challenges, and Potential Reforms (html).
Previous MDOT Updates
Stuck in an infinite loop : Plymouth Canton mettetal 1d2 — Still Open for “Business as Usual.” — Wealthy Cirrus & Helicopter owners, Civil Air Patrol (CAP) and other Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist clubs and groups continue their Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning barrage on the Canton & Plymouth Communities, neighborhoods and PCCS schools thru a very busy Sunday March 1, 2020. Truly arrogant, entitled, vengeful, vindictive evil clowns, and creeps believing they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, to whomever they want.
The 1d2 people that live locally are embarrassed, humiliated and ashamed that friends, neighbors and the surrounding communities know they’re responsible for poisoning everyone with Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead with their hobby, sport, recreational activity. Others that live outside the local communities really do NOT care at all since it’s not in their backyard, on top of their schools, families and children, and their neighborhoods and friends.
It seems this is how these 1d2 people roll [define], embarrassing themselves and other respected & responsible aviation communities across the entire United States.
The State of Michigan continues in providing absolutely NO protection for vulnerable populations from MDOT owned uncontrolled airstrip that cannot be controlled whatsoever.
There is absolutely no sense of urgency, no public comments, and certainly no protection for vulnerable populations whatsoever from any official Michigan source! The MDOT “Tetraethyl Lead is Harmless” campaign & reign of “Tetraethyl Lead is innocent” continues.
Another busy year goes by as the “MDOT Pure Michigan Lead” campaign at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 aisrtrip continues, brought to you by Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) and some of the same cast of evil grinning clowns that helped cover up MDOT Lead Poisoning during the Flint Lead Poisoning Debacle time period!
It’s pretty clear in light of the massive volume of indisputable medical, scientific, and technological evidence that in Michigan “Lead Poisoning is INNOCENT until proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt!” Perhaps we should ask the parents of the PCCS School children with Autism Spectrum Disorder how they feel?
Sadly, the battle over the State of Michigan budget & spending bills do not address Governor Whitmer’s largest single veto and the one directly related to the roads — a proposed $375 million shift in discretionary general funds to the laughable $5 BILLION Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) transportation budget. The proposed MDOT budget contains the single largest waste of taxpayer dollars in the history of Michigan devoted to the hobby, sport, recreational pastime for MDOT employees, friends, family, third party contractors, Special Interests, Industry Lobbyists, Michigan Aeronautics Commission (MAC) and MDOT Administration members (html), many local in Plymouth and Canton!
There is absolutely ZERO visibility to the massive ongoing waste of taxpayer money carefully and skillfully hidden amongst $5 BILLION DOLLARS containing many bureaucratic driven pet projects, including many un-needed State of Michigan MDOT owned hobby, sport, recreational airstrips! A tragic waste of money that could be better invested in education, infrastructure, sustainability and the environment to fix Michigan’s almost irreparably damaged image and reputation on environment and sustainability.
This is a perfect example of the “Tail wagging the dog” [define]. Since the Flint Lead Poisoning Debacle in the not too distant past, NOBODY wants to talk or have ANY open conversation or even acknowledge Lead Poisoning from 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel and continue to Acquiesce to the abundantly obvious and indisputable medical, scientific, and technological evidence while still contributing and blatantly increasing the level of continued Community Health Malpractice and Negligence.
The effects of the phony bloated MDOT budget can be felt stretching from the City of Detroit (Mike Duggan) in Wayne County (Warren Evans), to Dearborn, home of Ford Motor Company (Ford) and lifelong futurist on urban mobility and the environment Executive Chairman Bill Ford (Fontinalis) (Ford), Canton Township (Pat Williams), Plymouth Township (Kurt Heise) (Ford) (Rivian) (Rivian CEO & Founder RJ Scaringe), Ypsilanti (City| Township), and on to Ann Arbor.
Henry Ford Health System Duped by Plymouth Township, Canton Township, & Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT)!
The Henry Ford Health System is a comprehensive, integrated, non-profit health care organization in Metro Detroit. The corporate office is at One Ford Place, Detroit, Michigan 48202, and operates many other locations such as 2799 West Grand Boulevard Detroit, Michigan 48202, Wayne County, Michigan, U.S. and has over 32,000 employees (2019), and includes 6,200 + nurses (2019).
An affiliation with Wayne State University Medical School (html) provides more than 400 medical students that train at the Henry Ford Hospital each academic year. One of the largest Health Systems in Michigan and one of the most highly rated in the county.
Wright L. Lassiter III (html) is the President and CEO of Henry Ford Health System, oversees the $7.5 billion health system comprised of six hospitals, a health plan and a wide range of ambulatory, retail, and related health services consisting of more than 250 locations and 32,000 employees.
Inconceivably Henry Ford Health has plans for a new Health center at former Plymouth Township Kmart at 40855 Ann Arbor Rd, Plymouth, MI 48170, and it’s not clear if senior management including Richard Chip Davis, PhD, EdM, Senior Vice President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Henry Ford Health System South Market and Henry Ford Hospital, and Robert G. Riney, President, Healthcare Operations and Chief Operating Officer (COO) have been presented the real facts and really appreciate the magnitude of what’s going on? Whom would build a Medical facility practically right on top of a significant source of Lead Poisoning to children? What doctors and nurses would want to work there? And would anyone in the surrounding communities actually want to go there to get healthy? It would be great to hear the President and CEO Wright L. Lassiter III’s opinion!
BTW: This is common knowledge and is well known in the aviation industry for almost a decade, and is well known by elected Michigan officials and MDOT bureaucrats, past and present, from the time of the Flint Lead Poisoning Debacle!
The MDOT Health, Safety, and Welfare threats also affect and influence other critical & important local businesses such as Art Van, Bosch, IKEA, Rivian, Webasto, Yazaki, and the list goes on . . .
University of Michigan Health System, Beaumont Health System, Trinity Health and All Other Michigan Health Systems Should be Notified of Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Lead Coverup!
The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) continues to ignore, obscure, hide, and lie about the Effects of Leaded Aviation Fuel on Blood Lead Levels (BLLs) of Over 1 Million Children in Michigan (html), all while Plymouth-Canton Community Schools (PCCS) show a 47% increase in the number of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) students (html). MDOT actively implies, states, and maintains that there are safe levels of Lead!
The State of Michigan Constitution provides obligations to protect & warn taxpayers about the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Lead Coverup and related Health, Safety and Welfare effects including property damage. Shamefully Michigan Lawmakers and Departments, MDOT bureaucrats, County, and especially Local Plymouth Township and Canton Township Officials have done absolutely nothing to warn anyone at all.
Who can citizens and specifically our vulnerable populations count on for protection from Lead? The medical, scientific, and technological evidence is overwhelming and crystal clear. Lead is NOT acceptable for anyone at any level!
Health Systems across the State of Michigan should be alerted regarding any potential Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) related Lead exposure and poisoning to be on the lookout for Lead poisoning symptoms in children that they might not otherwise look for, suspect, recognize, or test for.
Four Prominent Michigan Health Systems:
- University of Michigan Health System – Michigan Medicine – Excellence in Patient Care, Medical Education and Research. Michigan Medicine continues to deliver the Michigan Difference through cutting-edge research and premier patient care. According to U.S. News and World Report, we’re among the best in the nation in a broad range of adult and pediatric specialties. We’ve earned national recognition from other hospital-quality organizations, too.
- University of Michigan | Michigan Medicine 1500 E Medical Center Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 (html)
- Michigan Medicine | University of Michigan 7300 Medical Science Building I — A Wing, 1301 Catherine St. Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5624 (html)
- University of Michigan | CS Mott Children’s Hospital | Michigan Medicine 1540 E Hospital Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 (html)
- Canton Health Center | Michigan Medicine 1051 N. Canton Center Rd. Canton, MI 48187 (html)
- Adult Medicine and Pediatrics Clinic at Canton Health Center | Michigan Medicine 1051 N. Canton Center Rd. Canton, MI 48187 (html)
- General Medicine at Canton Health Center 1051 N. Canton Center Rd. Canton, MI 48187 | Michigan Medicine (html)
- MLabs (Blood Draw Station) at Canton Health Center 1051 N. Canton Center Rd. Canton, MI 48187 | Michigan Medicine (html)
- Beaumont Health System – Beaumont Health is Michigan’s largest health care system (based on inpatient admissions and net patient revenue) and provides patients with compassionate, extraordinary care, no matter where they live. With eight hospitals, 145 outpatient locations, nearly 5,000 physicians and more than 38,000 employees, Beaumont’s commitment to patient and family-centered care contributes to the health and well-being of residents throughout the community and beyond.
- Beaumont Health | Determination Lives Here 44201 Dequindre Rd, Troy, MI 48085 (html)
- Beaumont Professional & Medical Education, Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine 586 Pioneer Dr, Rochester, MI 48309 (html)
- Beaumont Medical Center – Canton | Beaumont Health 7300 N. Canton Center Rd. Canton, MI 48187 (html)
- Beaumont Imaging Center – Canton | Beaumont Health 2050 N. Haggerty Rd., Suite 180, Canton, MI 48187 (html)
- Henry Ford Health System – Henry Ford Health System is committed to improving the health and well-being of our diverse Michigan community and is comprised of hospitals, medical centers and one of the nation’s largest group practices, the Henry Ford Medical Group, which includes more than 1,200 physicians practicing in over 40 specialties. The System’s flagship, Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, is a Level 1 Trauma Center recognized for clinical excellence in cardiology, cardiovascular surgery, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics, sports medicine, multi-organ transplants and cancer treatment. With more than 30,000 employees, Henry Ford Health System is the fifth-largest employer in metro Detroit, and among the most diverse.
- Henry Ford Health System | Henry Ford Health System – Detroit, MI One Ford Place, Detroit, Michigan (html)
- Henry Ford Medical Center – Canton | Henry Ford Health System – Detroit, MI 6100 N Haggerty Rd, Canton,MI 48187 (html)
- Henry Ford Medical Center – Plymouth | Henry Ford Health System – Detroit, MI 14300 N Beck Rd, Plymouth,MI 48170 (html)
- HAP | Affordable Michigan Health Insurance | Michigan Health Insurance | HAP 2850 W. Grand Blvd. Detroit, MI 48202 (html)
- Trinity Health – Livonia, Michigan (MI) – Trinity Health (html) • 20555 Victor Parkway, Livonia, Michigan 48152 – Trinity Health is one of the largest multi-institutional Catholic health care delivery systems in the nation, serving diverse communities that include more than 30 million people across 22 states. Trinity Health includes 92 hospitals, as well as 106 continuing care locations that include PACE programs, senior living facilities, and home care and hospice services. Its continuing care programs provide nearly 2 million visits annually, with annual operating revenues of $19.3 billion and assets of $27 billion, the organization returns $1.2 billion to its communities annually in the form of charity care and other community benefit programs. Trinity Health employs about 129,000 colleagues, including 7,500 employed physicians and clinicians.
- Saint Joseph Mercy Health System (html), A member of Trinity Health – Saint Joseph Mercy Health System is a health care organization serving seven counties in southeast Michigan including Livingston, Washtenaw, Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Jackson, and Lenawee. It includes 537-bed St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor, 443-bed St. Joseph Mercy Oakland in Pontiac, 304-bed St. Mary Mercy Livonia, 136-bed St. Joseph Mercy Livingston in Howell, and 133-bed St. Joseph Mercy Chelsea. Combined, the five hospitals are licensed for 1,553 beds, have five outpatient health centers, six urgent care facilities, more than 25 specialty centers; employ more than 15,300 individuals and have a medical staff of nearly 2,700 physicians. St. Joe’s has annual operating revenues of about $2 billion and returns about $115 million to its communities annually through charity care and community benefit programs.
- St Joseph Mercy Health Center Canton (html), 1600 S Canton Center Rd, Canton, MI 48188
Aggressive MDOT Airstrip Expansion Equals Plymouth Canton Community School System (PCCS) Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Double-Digit Increase
The dramatic double-digit increase of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) enrolled in PCCS Schools (html) Directly Corresponds with aggressive expansion at Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) owned Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip since 2010.
Out of control and costly to taxpayer expansion secretly, stealthily and almost unnoticed by the community doubled hangar foot print, which more than doubled aircraft including several twin engine aircraft that don’t belong there, several owners with multiple aircraft, many additional helicopters, which more than doubled yearly operations (take offs/landings), coupled with MDOT promoted and advertised Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist events including fly-in Boondoggles, Picnics & Pancake Breakfast Carnivals with expanded parking, free aircraft & helicopter rides, Swivel Chair (Swivel Chair Patrol) oops I mean Civil Air Patrol (CAP) meetings, events, outings, airplane and helicopter training classes still conducted in January 2020, etc.
Industrial Helicopter MROs should never be allowed embedded in any densely populated neighborhoods and are not allowed to anywhere else in the United States. It’s all MDOT friends, family, third party contractors, Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists, one big happy incestuous family!
All of this MDOT sponsored activity embedded in densely populated neighborhoods extremely close to 3 local schools with thousands of children, with many more schools in the local vicinity with the singular goal to increase State & FAA funding on behalf of local cronies. Truly sad behavior from a once proud Michigan department and the so-called Michigan Aeronautics Commission (MAC), another complete joke! Is this the price taxpayers pay for phony MDOT progress, expansion & growth with astonishing and seemingly fraudulent budgets & fictional ROI.
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) – Reproducible Biomarker: Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead in Canton Township and Plymouth Township Neighborhoods, Schools and PCCS Students
Who poisoned Flint? No one held accountable after 4 years – mlive.com (html). Many understand what happened is shocking & criminal, but you have to make sure it’s the right people that are punished for this mess. However, equally important is testimony that revealed key facts regarding Lead Poisoning that should be very concerning to every Canton Township, Plymouth Township and Michigan parent.
A spokeswoman for Michigan Solicitor General Hammoud who declined to comment on the status of the solicitor general’s current investigation, mentioned that Hammoud herself said during the Shekter-Smith plea review that what happened in Flint was a crime.
“This court heard the testimony regarding lead and the impacts of lead poisoning, which can devastate health throughout a lifetime and may even alter DNA to affect future generations,” she said. “That’s what this crime is about.”
It seems that “Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead” is a reproducible, repeatable, demonstrable biomarker [define], e.g. a measurable substance in an organism whose presence is indicative of some phenomenon such as disease, infection, or environmental exposure that is present in Canton Township and Plymouth Township Neighborhoods, Schools and PCCS Students. Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead has manifested itself and is repeating as shown in student enrollments in PCCS since 2010 in parallel with Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip expansion doubling since 2010.
Plymouth Canton Community Schools (PCCS) students and families right to “bodily integrity” has been and is still being violated under the U.S. Constitution.
A serious concern echoed by Dr. Doug Ruden, Wayne State University (html) (html) (html) (GoogleScholar) (LinkedIn), who leads a team of scientists who test blood samples to study the way lead impacts people. His team found that babies are impacted by moms who were exposed to lead. “The way you think about it is: if a mother is pregnant with a baby, she’s also carrying the baby’s children too” Ruden says.“It’s like Russian nesting dolls.”
When Dr. Ruden was asked if he could send one message to Detroiters based on what you know about Lead, what would you say? “All kids under the age of 6 should be tested for Lead.” High Lead levels may not show symptoms for awhile, but once you know lead is a problem, you can take steps to address it.
- See Lead Safe Home: Fact Sheet (pdf)
- In partnership with:
- Sponsored by:
- While Many Communities Openly Fight MDOT and Other Michigan Polluters
- Michiganders find solidarity in fighting hazardous waste (html)
- Sterling Heights seeks long-term sustainability (html) | macombdaily.com
- Michigan Legislators unveil legislation to hold polluters accountable (html)
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Guidelines Have Changed
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has new guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of autism for the first time in 12 years. The changes are based on the latest research for early identification. AAP: Autism Treatment Should Be Early, Intense, and Family-Driven.
AAP also recommends ongoing surveillance, performed by pediatricians and primary care providers, through school age.
Dr. Susan Hyman, MD, of the University of Rochester in New York stated “One of the reasons we’re so strongly recommending screening is, it’s a structured way to listen to parents and their concerns.” She went on to say “In the absence of a Reproducible Biomarker that will let us know who is at risk for autism in infancy, the clinical diagnosis requires that human interaction that pediatricians have 13 times in the first three years of life in the context of well-child care.”
However, continuous local Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) increases show that a Reproducible, Repeatable, Demonstrable Biomarker is present: Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead in Canton Township and Plymouth Township Neighborhoods, Schools and PCCS Students. The State of Michigan should focus on eliminating Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning caused by Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip!
Here is American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) 2020 updated recommendations report:
- Full Report: Identification, Evaluation, and Management of Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder (html) (pdf)| American Academy of Pediatrics. Susan L. Hyman, Susan E. Levy, Scott M. Myers and Council on Children With Disabilities, Section on Developmental And Behavioral Pediatrics, Pediatrics January 2020, 145 (1) e20193447; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2019-3447
- Executive Summary: Identification, Evaluation, and Management of Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder (html) (pdf) | American Academy of Pediatrics
Here is the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) previous 2015 recommendations report:
- Early Identification and Interventions for Autism Spectrum Disorder: Executive Summary (html) (pdf), PEDIATRICS Volume 136, Supplement 1, October 2015| American Academy of Pediatrics, PediatricsOctober 2015, 136 (Supplement 1) S1-S9; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2014-3667B
- Early Identification and Interventions for Autism Spectrum Disorder: Executive Summary (html) – PubMed – NCBI
Related Key Reports from the US Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee (IACC), US Department of Health & Human Services (USDHHS), USA.gov
- 2017 IACC Strategic Plan for Autism Spectrum Disorder Research (html) (pdf) | IACC. Answers Essential Eight Questions for Parents.
- International Portfolio Analysis 2016 (html) (pdf) (News Release) | IACC
- Report to Congress – on Activities Related to Autism Spectrum Disorder and Other Developmental Disabilities (html) (pdf) Thursday, April 11, 2019 | IACC
- DRAFT Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee (IACC). IACC Strategic Plan for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) — 2018 Update (pdf). [MONTH] 2019. Retrieved from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee website
Essential Autism Resources
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) – Autism Initiatives (html)
- University of Michigan U-M (UMich) & Michigan Health System (html)
- Finding approved autism evaluation centers and licensed behavior analysts (pdf), Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) and Blue Care Network of Michigan (html), For Blue Cross PPO (commercial) and BCN HMOSM (commercial) members Revised January 2020
- Autism spectrum (html) – Wikipedia
- US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) (html) | Autism | National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities (NCBDDD) | CDC
- Recommendations & Guidelines (html) | Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Community Report on Autism 2018 (html) (pdf)| Autism | National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities (NCBDDD) | CDC
- Autism Spectrum Disorder: What Every Parent Needs to Know (html): 9781610022699: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.com
- National Autism Association (NAA) | Providing real help and hope for the autism community since 2003.
- What is Autism? (html) | American Autism Association (MyAutism)
- State of Michigan (SoM)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (html) – Michigan Alliance for Families (html)
- Autism Alliance of Michigan (html). Navigating Autism Today!
- Autism Society of Michigan (html)
- Michigan Autism Conference (html), 8th Annual Michigan Autism Conference, October 8-9, 2020
Other Important Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Studies
- More Guidelines than states: variations in U.S. lead screening and management guidance and impacts on shareable CDS development (html) (pdf)| BMC Public Health | Full Text | 29 January 2020 – Pediatric lead exposure in the United States (U.S.) remains a preventable public health crisis. Shareable electronic clinical decision support (CDS) could improve lead screening and management. However, discrepancies between federal, state and local recommendations could present significant challenges for implementation. Current variability across guidance poses challenges for clinicians.
- Early Autism Screening: A Comprehensive Review (html) (pdf), 2019 Sep; 16(18): 3502. Published online 2019 Sep 19. doi: 3390/ijerph16183502 (html) (pdf)
- Promoting early autism detection and intervention in underserved communities: study protocol for a pragmatic trial using a stepped-wedge design (html) (pdf), BMC Psychiatry. 2019; 19: 169. Published online 2019 Jun 7. doi: 1186/s12888-019-2150-3
- Life After Lead: Effects of Early Interventions for Children Exposed to Lead
- Life After Lead: Effects of Early Interventions for Children Exposed to Lead (html) (pdf) | IZA – Institute of Labor Economics. July 2017, Stephen B. Billings Kevin T. Schnepel, IZA DP No. 10872
- Life After Lead: Effects of Early Interventions for Children Exposed to Lead (html) | Leeds School of Business (html) | University of Colorado Boulder (html)
- Life after Lead: Effects of Early Interventions for Children Exposed to Lead (html) (pdf) – American Economic Association (AEA)
- Life After Lead: Effects of Early Interventions for Children Exposed to Lead (html) (pdf) | Semantic Scholar
- Optimizing Outcome in Autism Spectrum Disorders – Deborah Fein, Marianne Barton, Thyde Dumont-Mathieu, 2017, (html) (pdf), Policy Insights from the Behavioral and Brain Sciences 2017, Vol. 4(1) 71–78, © The Author(s) 2017, DOI: 10.1177/2372732216685098 https://journals.sagepub.com/home/bbs
- Identification and Evaluation of Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders (html) (pdf) | American Academy of Pediatrics, Chris Plauché Johnson, Scott M. Myers and ; and the Council on Children With Disabilities, Pediatrics, November 2007, 120 (5) 1183-1215; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2007-2361
Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) – Officials Covering Up Lead Poisoning NOT Immune, and Are Accountable!
The Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) – Officials covering up Lead Poisoning are NOT immune and can and should be held accountable!
The SCOTUS Justices turned away two appeals by City, State and Local officials of a lower court ruling that allowed lawsuits to move forward. The lower court rejected a demand for immunity by the officials, finding that they violated the residents’ right to “bodily integrity” [define] under the U.S. Constitution.
The cases center on the Constitution’s 14th Amendment guarantee of due process under the law, which can protect people from government-induced harm to their personal security or health, a legal principle known as “bodily integrity.” However, calling the water crisis a “government-created environmental disaster” in a 2019 ruling, the 6th Circuit green-lighted the constitutional claims and rejected immunity for the officials. SCOTUS confirmed.
The lawsuit claims the officials failed to protect residents from a foreseeable risk of harm from exposure to Lead. Everyone except MDOT seems to know that Lead really is poison, really it is. The lawsuit and others like it claim that the public has a constitutional right to “bodily integrity” that was duly violated.
- Supreme Court won’t take case prompted by Flint water crisis – Detroit News (html), January 21, 2020
- Supreme Court won’t take case stemming from Flint water crisis – Detroit Free Press (html), January 21, 2020
- Supreme Court won’t hear case related to Flint water crisis – mlive.com (html), Jan 21, 2020
- Supreme Court lets Flint, Michigan residents sue over water contamination – Reuters (html), January 21, 2020
- Supreme Court allows lawsuit against Flint city officials to advance | The Hill (html), 01/21/20
- Attorney says Supreme Court decision on Flint water brings federal trial closer to reality – mlive.com (html), Jan 21, 2020
- Supreme Court Allows Flint Water Lawsuits To Move Forward, Officials Not ‘Immune’ : NPR (html), January 21, 2020
Relevant SCOTUS and Sixth Circuit Court Lead Poisoning Legal Documents
- SCOTUS Petition (pdf) Questions Presented:
- Whether the 14th Amendment’s constitutional right to “bodily integrity” extends to encapsulate a right to be protected by state regulators from a foreseeable risk of harm from exposure to contaminants in public drinking water, or to be free from allegedly false statements by an agency spokesperson.
- If so, whether such a bodily-integrity right was clearly established at the time the defendant officials were fulfilling their official duties.
- Whether mere alleged mistakes and regulatory inaction by state regulators, or allegedly false statements by an agency spokesperson, are sufficiently “conscience shocking” to strip a government official of qualified immunity.
- SCOTUS Motion for Stay docket to review Sixth Circuit Court Decision, Dated: June 7, 2019 (pdf)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit (html) Appeal from the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan at Ann Arbor. No. 5:16-cv-12412—Judith E. Levy, District Judge. Argued: June 6, 2018, Decided and Filed: January 4, 2019 (pdf)
- Bodily Integrity 14th Amendment Claim Allowed by 6th Circuit Court (html) Friday, March 8, 2019 | The National Law Review (html)
- Environmental Injustice/Racism in Flint, Michigan: An Analysis of the Bodily Integrity Claim in Mays v. Snyder as Compared to Other Environmental Justice Cases (pdf) Pace Environmental Law Review (html), Volume 35, Issue 1 Fall 2017, September 2017, Article 3
Approximately 25,000 people have sued over the Flint Lead Poisoning Crisis, in which a change in the source of the city’s water resulted in lead contamination. The lawsuit and others ‘like it’ are expected to go forward in lower courts. In principle Lead Poisoning from 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel is basically the same, the contaminants are not in water but in soil & air, and it’s some of the same evil clowns doing the same thing all over again. One major difference is that Officials have known of Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Lead Poisoning for almost a full decade!
MDOT Negligence, Malpractice & Sad Pathetic Recycled Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist Excuses
MDOT Nefarious Actions, Dastardly & Repugnant Deeds:
- MDOT Secretly Doubled 1d2 Airstrip activity
- MDOT hid study of 1,000,000 (1M) Michigan Child BLLs linking Lead to Airports
- Double-Digit ASD/ADHD Increase at PCCS Schools
- MDOT response: “based on soil-lead concentrations observed, there does not appear to be a health risk to site workers or the public under the current site use conditions.”
A patently false bold-faced lie! MDOT is just a mouthpiece for Special Interests and Industry Lobbyists that much is clear. MDOT regurgitates the same old tired worn out, ‘nobody really believes this crap anyway’ Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist boilerplate mumbo-jumbo garbage. These MDOT clowns really think the public is stupid, and that vulnerable populations have no intrinsic value.
BTW: there are so many things wrong here, for starters MDOT Lead testing (if you can even call it that) was done in the completely wrong part of the year with very limited ops. Michigan just had the wettest water year in 119 years of records (html). Anyone could see samples taken in standing water, anyone within .5 km could see that MDOT hired teams armed with highly advanced precision fence post augers mounted on the back of old model rusty pickup trucks that were literally dripping mud & water! Just ask the third-party service that performed the MDOT’s highly technical sounding field work. This was not high-end certified laboratory work with people in white lab coats like in the movies, quite an amateur operation at best.
Additionally, Lead testing is NEVER a single isolated event by any stretch of the imagination as MDOT would have you believe! Besides MDOT has zero Lead testing history at this site, or in the local vicinity ever! In fact, MDOT does not track Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning at ANY airport in Michigan whatsoever! There is no public history or logs to show any MDOT sustainable activity regarding Lead Poisoning inventories performed or Lead evaluations anywhere in the entire State of Michigan period.
However, there is a very long and rich future schedule and documented history of MDOT sponsored & advertised Fly-in activities including picnics, parties, barbecues and other useless boondoggles. This includes more never-ending meaningless and totally bogus MAC meetings to wax philosophic about Non-existent Pilot Shortages and how it affects the overall aviation hobby, sport, recreation outlook with Special Interests, Industry Lobbyists and MDOT’s own MAC ‘Living Legends’ all while arguing about the next gourmet menu for future Fly-in Picnics & MAC coffee klatsch’s to celebrate their own highly touted but imagined and totally fictional contributions to the corpus of Aviation, Aerospace & Defense knowledge & industry market outlook in such places as Traverse City, truly pathetic!
This (typical Lead Poisoning coverup verbiage) is common knowledge and is well known in the aviation industry for almost a decade, literally nobody in the industry believes any of it for a second! What else is perfectly clear:
- MDOT does not have medical, scientific, or technological qualifications to render such a public opinion, misleading, fraudulent, would be met with a cease & desist order in the real world, people would be fired immediately for implying and defending Lead is safe in any form/quantity/concentration.
- MDOT does not provide data, evidence, or proof that Lead is NOT a health risk under ANY conditions or even stated conditions using descriptions specifically by Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists. Of course, these descriptions are worded by very skillful wordsmiths.
- MDOT opinion is diametrically opposed to a voluminous amount of contradictory medical, scientific, and technological data, testing, measurements, substantial evidence and proof from many expert SME sources worldwide that Lead IS a known health risk at any concentration level or amount. Clearly PCCS kids have been sickened and damaged
- MDOT clearly has multiple conflicts of interest
It appears that the Flint Lead Poisoning Debacle is just warming up! These same MDOT clowns and anyone that is complicit, colluded or conspired with MDOT will be held accountable for double digit increase of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) at PCCS Schools! There is absolutely no excuse for a totally preventable disaster like this.
MDOT is Clearly Responsible, but Whom Else is Accountable as ‘Officials’?
The SCOTUS response to an appeal filed on behalf of City, State and Local officials and basically stated that anyone acting in an official capacity, an agency spokesperson [define], an agent [define] or representative cannot claim immunity to violating the PCCS students “bodily integrity”.
The term ‘official capacity’ could be construed to include those that provide MDOT Subject Matter Expert (SME) consulting, testing services, providing data, measurements, public statements or endorsements (implied or otherwise), verification or validation of safety, authenticity, operate or conduct business on behalf of MDOT, e.g. third-party contractor with titles such as Airport Manager (Mgrs), Assistant (Asst) Managers listed on official MDOT document ‘Airport Manager and Fixed Base Operators (FBO)’ list showing contact names and numbers in the Michigan Airport Directory (pdf) or Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 documents current (pdf) previous (pdf).
NOTE: phony non-State of Michigan Mettetal email address used to fool, confound and mislead the public for the last 20 years! The mettetalairport.com domain was originally owned by a Special Interest / Industry Lobbyist, MDOT never clarified when it was official and when it was transferred, the link to MDOT was added later when they were caught in the act, go figure! Additionally http://mettetal.com/ resolves to Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist (html), how convenient, sneaky and deceptive! MDOT has been aware and taken advantage of both of these overlooked little details meant to fool the public all along. MDOT has never clarified these details to this day.
Given that, the list of people and groups responsible for violating PCCS students “bodily integrity” gets really interesting, and could include past & present officials, elected or otherwise:
- State of Michigan Elected Officials: Governor, Lt. Governor, MIAG, Senator (Canton pilot & aerospace engineer), Representative (Canton)
- Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT)
- Michigan Aeronautics Commission (MAC) (Plymouth)
- Michigan Department of Transportation Administration (html) (Canton)
- Agents or spokespersons, e.g. third-party contractors hired by MDOT to operate a State of Michigan owned airstrip on behalf of MDOT, and could include specific members of local flying clubs and/or Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists working as Assistant Managers listed on official MDOT contact information. Cell phone bills & other expenses submitted to MDOT via third-party contractor blanket contract, favors, labor & materials for special events, common keys and access to any equipment & tools including high-end front-end loader, tractors, trucks, etc. not available to the public will show direct MDOT connections and influence
- Michigan Department of Health & Human Services (MDHHS)
- Wayne County Airport Authority (WCAA) including Detroit Metro Airport (DTW) and Willow Run Airport (YIP) officials
- Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes & Energy (EGLE) previously called the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ)
- Michigan State Police (MSP) (html) – after hours and weekend drop offs and pickups at private heliport, appeared to be MDOT or other State of Michigan employees, Michigan Aeronautics Commission (MAC), confidential logs will show details
- Civil Air Patrol (CAP) (Swivel Chair Patrol) – local bullies, community morons & smart alecks [define], and military wannabes [define] special treatment, favors, etc.
- Wayne County employees and Commissioner (Plymouth)
- Canton Township Officials
- Plymouth Township Officials
- Basically, any person, organization, commercial entity, business concern, or operation that traded favors, received preferential treatment, incentives of any kind, etc. to increase growth, utilization, or colluded with MDOT at any airstrip to coverup Lead Poisoning, or violated PCCS students “bodily integrity”. Looks, feels, and sounds like a First Class Class Action suit [define] to many people
Again, must keep in mind, Lead Poisoning from Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel is well known by many people and organizations listed above, and is considered common knowledge and is well known in the aerospace & aviation industry for over a decade!
Almost all of the above have multiple conflicts of interest with literally zero incentive to eliminated Lead Poisoning from Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel whatsoever.
The four key questions going forward will be:
- Who is considered an Official?
- What did Officials know?
- When did Officials know it?
- What did Officials do?
None of them can claim ignorance, kids are damaged and sick and continue to be damaged and sickened due to their actions or inaction of some of the people listed above, and NONE of these people are IMMUNE to criminal prosecution or civil litigation!
How Do We Stop MDOT’s Leaded 100LL Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning Epidemic Against our Neighborhoods, Families, and Children!
When will people stop playing with the Health, Safety, and Welfare of our communities, neighborhoods, families and especially our children?
MDOT: let’s just keep doing what we’re doing, there is no proof that it’s us, so we’re ok!
MDOT: just stands back and keeps repeating “Where’s the proof?”, simply parroting Special Interests and Industry Lobbyists.
A true textbook example of negligence, malpractice, and abuse of power all the way from the ‘Living Legends’ at the top of the Michigan Aeronautics Commission (MAC) food chain, to the many bottom feeders, and petty bureaucratic MDOT administrators (html) protecting their turf and defending existing phony budgets & ROI squawking as quickly as they can spending money on anything before budgets expire and evaporate.
Perhaps the next logical step is to find someone that can stand up to MDOT, Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists to protect children. Vulnerable populations could use the help of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), the ACLU of Michigan (html) (html) is needed now more than ever! Or perhaps a Global Law firm that specializes in fighting Poisoning and Chemical Contamination Bullies like MDOT with backing from employees with Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists connections & multiple conflicts of interest.
That help could come in the form of a Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Class Action Suit on behalf of PCCS Students? Vulnerable populations could really benefit from help with Environmental Counseling & Litigation (html) from a global law firm with the reach, influence and clout needed to take on MDOT and their Special Interests & Industry Lobbyist bully pals.
PFAS Update 2019: Emerging Contaminants – What’s New, and What’s Next? (pdf), April 24, 2019, by Stephanie R. Feingold (html) and Drew Cleary Jordan (html), © 2018 Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP – global law firm (html). This report shows Modern Theories of Liability Being Pursued to include:
- Violation of “bodily integrity”
- Public Nuisance and Private Nuisance
- Negligence & Malpractice
- Abnormally Dangerous/Ultra Hazardous Activities
- Failure to Warn
- Design Defect
- Declaratory Judgment Actions (for, e.g., indemnity, remediation, studies)
- On the horizon? – Fraud
- State Statutory Consumer Protection Statutes & Other State Codified Analogs of Common Law Claims – Conspiracy
- Infliction of Emotional Distress
- Claims for both Property Damage and Personal Injury/Medical Monitoring
- Aiding and abetting [define] – generally allows a court to pronounce someone guilty for aiding and abetting in a crime even if they are not the principal offender, perpetrator, or defendant.
The most likely high-level defendants in a class action lawsuit on behalf of PCCS Students whose “bodily integrity” was violated resulting in Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) would be:
- Elected officials: State, Wayne County, Canton Township, Plymouth Township (the usual suspects so far)
- Michigan Aeronautics Commission (MAC) (Plymouth)
- Top MDOT Administrators (Lansing, Canton Township)
- Third Party Contractor hired by MDOT as 1d2 Manager and their sub-contracted Assistant Managers
- Helicopter owners and many of their ‘way too cozy’ connections in ‘way too many’ State of Michigan Agencies
- Any other commercial or business concern related to 1d2 that benefited or profited at the expense of the Health, Safety and Welfare of PCCS students
Of course, we can’t make any legal determination here. But maybe it’s time for these MDOT clowns and whomever enabled, acquiesced, colluded, conspired, helped or is complicit in any way with MDOT to ‘lawyer-up’ as they say, if they haven’t done so already!
Ok, Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is Reckless & Negligent, Now What?
Most believe that Michigan has the money to fix roads, it’s just being used for personal MDOT purposes, preferences and direction for the benefit of the few, while the many must pay their own way.
Poll show: Michigan voters say the State has enough money to fix roads (html). Compare 2019 millage rates in Michigan (html) and it’s obvious that taxpayers are paying way too much for way too little in return with no visibility or accountability from MDOT whatsoever. This is MDOT’s huge ‘shell game’. Taxpayers are paying their share for the roads in their local communities all across Michigan while MDOT continues to waste massive amounts of money on ridiculous airstrips like Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 that benefit the few while destroying the Health, Safety and Welfare of the communities, neighborhoods, schools and vulnerable populations, e.g. the many.
MDOT is this huge lumbering behemoth who’s used to getting their own way, now with what appears to be openly fraudulent behavior that goes unpunished! The MDOT ‘stink’ seems to stick to everything they touch.
MDOT is so used to getting their own way, even with what appears to openly fraudulent behavior, all without any repercussions whatsoever! Negative headlines regarding Michigan Agency Officials & Spokesperson malpractice & negligence is getting more and more common:
- Senator blasts MDOT’s handling study as ‘outright fraud’! Group wants audit of MDOT’s role in study, Lobbyist steered MDOT report (html) (html) (html)
- A former Supervisor of the Wayne County Airport Authority (WCAA)
- Federal Authorities Lock up Detroit Metro Airport (DTW) boss James Warner for 25 years, feds say (html), January 22, 2020 – Detroit News
- Detroit airport employee gets 10 years in prison for $6M kickback scheme (html) | Detroit Free Press
- Ex-Detroit Metro official sentenced to 10 years for bribery (html) | Detroit News
- ‘Despicable’: Internal Emails Reveal Contractor Knew About Lead Risks in Months Before City’s Public Confirmation (html) | Common Dreams News
MDOT & Lead Coverup Conspirators Conclusion: Prosecute, Litigate, Punish
The glaring fact is NONE, not a single one of these people involved with MDOT have publicly said one SINGLE word to investigate or protect vulnerable populations from Lead Poisoning, and in fact several went way out of their way to NOT mention it at all, completely ignoring any mention of Lead Poisoning hoping the problem would just go away.
Victims: hundreds of PCCS students for sure, perhaps thousands, and many more victims across Michigan that could have been prevented or minimized to some extent! Lead poisoning from Leaded 100LL Aviation fuel at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 is ridiculous, totally unnecessary and preventable.
We all know airstrip users should pay for their own airport & aircraft activities and pay again to clean up the Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead mess already there, and the mess they are knowingly & actively continuing to create. They cannot be allowed to continue shrugging their shoulders and laughing all the way, oh well we get a ‘pass’ this time as it’s not technically illegal!
What’s now called the ‘Flint Effect’, or hiding behind outdated laws, rules, and regulations, is really sick & selfish, MDOT just stands back and keeps repeating “Where’s the proof?” over and over again enabling the Child Lead Poisoning Epidemic to continue. MDOT has perfected what many are now calling the ‘MDOT Mettetal Effect’ or ‘MDOT Clown Effect’ both named in honor of MDOT. E.g. continuing to hide behind outdated laws, rules, and regulations for their own benefit knowing it’s evil.
Every person involved in this senseless violation of PCCS students “bodily integrity” should feel the wrath of communities, neighborhoods, families, and especially the parents of affected PCCS students and be met with:
- Rigorous Robust Criminal Investigation & Prosecution
- Vigorous Civil Litigation
- Generous Punishment, to the maximum extent of the law!
The State of Michigan should be Embarrassed, humiliated, and ashamed of MDOT performance at this point – this is truly ethically devoid and morally bankrupt?
Next Steps: Who Cleans Up Lead After MDOT Negligence and Malpractice?
After taking care of yet another major MDOT Clown Patrol Brain Fart (and there are more to come) now is time to think about cleaning up the Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 Airstrip. It’s pretty clear that NONE of these people will take responsibility for their legacy Lead Poisoning mess left behind for future generations to deal with. The problem is who is going to pay for a new green space for already financially strapped surrounding communities stuck paying for their own roads?
Maybe this is where the shiny brand new & fully empowered Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes & Energy (EGLE), previously called the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) comes in. Help could come from the EGLE Redevelopment Team (html).
The EGLE Brownfield Redevelopment Program – Brownfield properties are those in which the redevelopment or reuse of the property may be complicated by the presence or perception of contamination. Revitalizing and redeveloping these properties protects the environment, reuses existing infrastructure, minimizes urban sprawl and creates economic opportunities.
The Remediation and Redevelopment Division provides financial and technical assistance including grants, loans, tax increment financing and free site assessments to facilitate the redevelopment of brownfield properties.
Contact 1-517-284-5113 or email at EGLE-Brownfields@Michigan.gov for more information and assistance. #mibrownfields (html).
There are many Michigan Resources & Respected Groups fighting toxic pollution and chemical contaminants such as Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Lead Poisoning:
- Michigan Environmental Council (MEC)
- Sierra Club (National) (Michigan) (SE Michigan) (HuronValley)
- US EPA Environmental Info for Michigan (html) | EPA in Michigan (html) | US EPA (html)
- US EPA Contact EPA Region 5 Illinois, Indiana, Michigan (html), Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin | About EPA (html) | US EPA (html), US EPA Region 5, 77 W. Jackson Blvd., Chicago, IL 60604, 800-621-8431 or 312-353-2000
- Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE), (EGLE – Air), EGLE – Environmental Assistance Center (html)
- Watered Down Justice – Socio-demographics and Violations of the Safe Drinking Water Act
- Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units (PEHSU)
- Detroit Sustainability Action Agenda 2019 (pdf)
New EPA Rules Directly Threaten Child Lead Poisoning Prevention Efforts
In the article by Professor Gabriel Filippelli, Ph.D. (html), Department of Earth Sciences (html), Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), Purdue School of Science (html), Director of the Center for Urban Health (html), [National Academy of Sciences] [TheConversation] [Wikipedia]:
- EPA’s proposed ‘secret science’ rule directly threatens children’s health | The Conversation (html)
- Column: EPA’s proposed ‘secret science’ rule directly threatens children’s health ⋆Michigan Advance (html)
- EPA’s proposed “secret science” rule directly threatens children’s health | Salon.com (html)
the author agrees with the rest of the world that childhood Lead exposure is a public health hazard of epidemic proportions. The impacts from any Lead exposure are permanent and lifelong. It is absolutely critical to identify and eliminate sources of Lead exposure before Lead exposure symptoms are recognized, usually by that time children are already poisoned.
Lead poisoning symptoms don’t appear until blood lead levels are high, so reducing exposure is the only effective way to prevent permanent damage.
One challenge is that public health officials & researchers don’t have adequate environmental measurements for Lead sources. Only fine-scaled results revealed by human health data seems the best way to identify sources, and thus inform policies to protect children. Blood samples from pediatric health screenings can provide valuable data for public health research.
If the new Secret Science rule is adopted, EPA officials will have to pretend that this kind of research doesn’t exist, since the patient records that it draws on can’t be made public.
Many believe this will leave hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of children across the U.S. at risk of a lifetime of avoidable harm from lead poisoning and other types of pollution that researchers analyze using private medical data.
This appears to be how the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) operates now as they continue to acquiesce, ignoring public health concerns, issuing no warnings and conducting their business as usual.
Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) encourages, endorses, and supports Special Interests and Industry Lobbyists to bring unwanted unnecessary pollution and disruption into communities, avoiding any disclosure of potentially harmful public Health, Environmental, Safety, and Welfare impacts of Hobby, Sport, Recreational activities using Leaded Aviation fuel 100LL with EDB, PFAS and other pollutants.
Due to new EPA rules and many other complications Legal experts say Flint water crisis trials could be delayed for years ⋆Michigan Advance (html), more to come on this.
Further reading see:
- Seasonality and Children’s Blood Lead Levels: Developing a Predictive Model Using Climatic Variables and Blood Lead Data from Indianapolis, Indiana, Syracuse, New York, and New Orleans, Louisiana (USA) | Environmental Health Perspectives | Vol. 113, No. 6 (html) (pdf)
- 1 million Michigan Child BLLs Show MDOT Lead Poisoning Coverup.
2019 – 2020 Lead Poisoning Updates
It’s time to stop MDOT using Michigan Children’s Blood Lead Levels (BLLs) as sensors to detect their Tetraethyl Lead (TEL), Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS), Ethylene Dibromide (EDB), and other Endocrine Disruptor Chemicals (EDC), toxins, poisons, and pollutants!
The Social Cost of Leaded Gasoline (Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel): Evidence from Regulatory Exemptions
SocArXiv Papers | The social cost of leaded gasoline (Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel): Evidence from regulatory exemptions (html) (pdf) 92 pages, submitted September 22, 2019, last edited: October 23, 2019. DOI 10.31235/osf.io/rdy6g
The social cost of leaded gasoline (Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel): Evidence from regulatory exemptions | Semantic Scholar (html) (pdf)
- Assistant Professor Alex Hollingsworth (Faculty) (Twitter) (github) (github) (GoogleScholar) (TheConversation)
- Assistant Professor Ivan Rudik (Faculty) (Faculty) (html) (github) (Twitter) (RePEc) (TheConversation) (NBER) (GoogleScholar)
Leaded gasoline is still widely used in the United States for aviation (Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel) and automotive racing. Exploiting regulatory exemptions and a novel quasi-experiment, we find that leaded gasoline increases ambient lead concentrations, elevated blood lead rates, and elderly mortality. The estimated effects indicate the social cost of a gram of lead added to gasoline is over $1,100.
Our results are the first causal estimates linking adult mortality to leaded gasoline (Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel), highlight the historic value of banning on-road leaded gasoline, demonstrate the costs of continued regulatory exemptions, and provide policy-relevant cost estimates of lead emissions at the lowest ambient levels to date.
A Toxic Truth: Lead Exposure Problems Linger In Soil, Air
A study, by researchers at Carnegie Mellon University, published in Economics & Human Biology (html) – Journal (html) – Elsevier (html), found adverse effects on the boys from exposure to lead even in counties with levels of lead concentration in topsoil that are considered low according to guidelines from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and state agencies that address these issues.
“These findings strengthen our understanding of the adverse effects of lead exposure on children’s cognitive development,” says Edson Severnini, assistant professor of economics and public policy at Carnegie Mellon University’s Heinz College, who was part of the study. “They are concerning because they suggest that lead may continue to impair cognition.”
“Our study provides new evidence of the damaging effect of lead on cognitive development, even in areas with low lead concentration,” notes Karen Clay, professor of economics and public policy at Carnegie Mellon University’s Heinz College, who coauthored the study. “This indicates the need for further monitoring of soil in urban areas and suggests that the EPA should revise its standards for acceptable levels of lead in soil.”
- A Toxic Truth: Lead Exposure Problems Linger In Soil, Air (html), Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) News, August 23, 2019
- A toxic truth: lead exposure problems linger in soil, air (html) (pdf), phys.org, August 26, 2019
- Higher lead in topsoil boosts probability of cognitive difficulties in five-year-old boys, (html), MedicalExpress, April 10, 2019
- Lead exposure found to affect fertility rates (html) Medical Express, May 22, 2018
- In Cities, Lead Exposure Is Lowering Fertility – CityLab (html), July 5, 2018
- Pollution That Discriminates by Gender – WSJ, May 2, 2019 (html)
- Toxic Truth: Lead and Fertility, National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) Working Paper No. 24607, Issued in May 2018, Revised in June 2019, (acknowledgments) (html) (pdf) (cloud)
Professor Karen Clay (cv) (html) (html) (NBER)
Assistant Professor Edson Severnini (html) (html) (NBER)
Magarita Portnykh (html) (NBER)
Scott Barsotti (html)
Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) (Heinz)
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
The Legacy Lead Deposition in Soils and Its Impact on Cognitive Function in Preschool-Aged Children in the United States
Economics & Human Biology | Vol 33, Pages 1-224 (May 2019) | ScienceDirect.com (Issue html) (article html) PubMed (html)
EconStor: The Legacy Lead Deposition in Soils and Its Impact on Cognitive Function in Preschool-Aged Children in the United States (html) (pdf), February 2019
The Legacy Lead Deposition in Soils and Its Impact on Cognitive Function in Preschool-Aged Children in the United States | IZA – Institute of Labor Economics (html) (pdf), February 2019
The legacy lead deposition in soils and its impact on cognitive function in preschool-aged children in the United States. | Semantic Scholar (html)
The Legacy Lead Deposition in Soils and Its Impact on Cognitive Function in Preschool-Aged Children in the United States by Karen Clay, Margarita Portnykh, Edson Severnini :: SSRN (html) (pdf), Posted: 9 Mar 2019
The Concurrent Decline of Soil Lead and Children’s Blood Lead in New Orleans
The concurrent decline of soil lead and children’s blood lead in New Orleans | Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS) (html) (pdf), October 29, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1906092116. Other researchers, however, have indicated that Pb contamination of soil from TEL (Tetraethyl Lead) is at least as important, if not more so, than lead-based paint as a source of children’s Pb exposure.
Study finds topsoil is key harbinger of lead exposure risks for children (html) – ScienceDaily, October 14, 2019
Study finds topsoil is key harbinger of lead exposure risks for children | Tulane News (html) (pdf), October 14, 2019
Howard W Mielke, PhD, Research Professor (html) | Medicine
Tulane University (TU)
School of Medicine (Medicine)
1430 Tulane Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70112
Lead’s Urban Legacy (html) -“Lead’s Urban Legacy” deals with lead, a pervasive environmental pollutant that alters the biological signals in the human nervous system. The adverse effects of lead on brain health and function have been known since the Roman Empire.
e.hormone (html) at Tulane University is part of the Environmental Signaling Network, a multifaceted program that aims to integrate the vast interdisciplinary signaling field by fostering communication and promoting scientific advancements. Environmental signaling encompasses the many ways plants and animals use chemical signals to communicate life-driving information, to respond to physical or biological stimuli, and to talk to each other.
Lead poisoning in the 21st century, Dr. Jerome Paulson, MD, Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics (FAAP)
Lead poisoning in the 21st century, Dr. Jerome Paulson, MD, Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics (FAAP) (html) (html) (html). Physicians who maintain their FAAP designation make an ongoing commitment to lifelong learning and advocacy for children.
Protecting Children from Environmental Dangers is not easy – when something in your environment makes your child sick, it can be hard to know where to turn.
Physicians, toxicologists, social workers and nurses are part of a national network that focuses on environmental health for children. They help families learn the causes of your child’s illness and achieve the best health outcome.
Lead exposure remains an urgent health problem that requires action, not just calls for more evidence!
Lead poisoning in the 21st century video (html) | Children’s National Health System (html) Dr. Jerome Paulson, MD, FAAP, Medical Director, Child Health Advocacy Institute (CHAI), shares his insights on the dangers of lead poisoning.
Aspects of Children’s Environmental Health (pdf) | National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL), Dr. Jerome A. Paulson, MD, FAAP
- Professor of Pediatrics & Public Health, George Washington University
- Medical Director for National & Global Affairs, Director, Mid-Atlantic Center for Children’s Health & the Environment, Child Health Advocacy Institute, Children’s National Medical Center
- Chairperson, Executive Committee of the Council on Environmental Health (html) (html) (pdf), American Academy of Pediatrics
- Council on Environmental Health. Prevention of Childhood Lead Toxicity (html) (download pdf) (open pdf). Pediatrics. 2016;38(1):e20161493 | American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
Dr. Jerome Paulson (html) | Milken Institute School of Public Health | GW
George Washington University (GW)
2121 Eye Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052
Milken Institute School of Public Health (html)
Environmental and Occupational Health (html)
950 New Hampshire Ave. NW, 4th Floor
Washington, DC 20052
About Us (html) | Mid-Atlantic Center for Children’s Health and the Environment (MACCHE) | School of Nursing and Health Studies (html) | Georgetown University (GU)
- Jerome A Paulson, MD, FAAP, Medical Director, PEHSU East, American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- Laura Anderko, PhD, RN
- Maryann Mazer-Amirshahi, MD, PharmD, MPH, Toxicologist Consultant
- Katie Huffling, RN, CNM, Reproductive Health Consultant
- Lois Wessel, RN, Family Nurse Practioner (FNP), FNP Consultant
- Stephanie M. Chalupka EdD, RN, PHCNS-BC, FAAOHN, Professor and Coordinator of the Master of Science in Nursing Program at Worcester State University, Visiting Scientist
- Kelly Jones, Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- Emma Pennea, Center Manager
Home – Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units – PEHSU– Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units (PEHSU), are a network of experts in reproductive and children’s environmental health. An interconnected system of specialists located throughout North America who respond to questions from public health professionals, clinicians, policy makers, and the public about the impacts of environmental factors on the health of children and reproductive-age adults. There is a total of 10 Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units across the country with each region dedicated to children’s environmental health issues.
The Children’s Environmental Health (html) | Great Lakes Center (html) Region 5 | University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) – Is one of 10 Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units (PEHSUs) across the country dedicated to children’s environmental health issues. Our primary area of focus is Region 5, which includes the states of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin. A PEHSU has experts in pediatrics, toxicology, occupational and environmental medicine, reproductive health, and other specialties. PEHSUs are a source of medical information and advice on environmental exposures influence reproductive and children’s health and work with an array of people, such as parents, schools, and state agencies, to address children’s environmental health issues.
The Region 5 PEHSU published a spectacular guide book, Investigating Environmental Contamination: A Guide for Communities (pdf), June 2019, Great Lakes Center for Children’s Environmental Health University of Illinois at Chicago, School of Public Health. The guide is for community members who are concerned about their environmental exposures in their neighborhood. It covers outdoor pollution in the air, soil, and water and offers resources specific for Region 5 states. It also includes a power mapping example to help community members advocate for change and take their environmental concerns to legislators. A printer-friendly version is also available.
- Susan Kaplan, JD Research Assistant Professor (html)
- Susan Buchanan, MD, MPH, Director, Great Lakes Center for Children’s Environmental Health Region 5 Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Unit (html) (html)
- Emily Szwiec, MPH, Coordinator, Great Lakes Center for Children’s Environmental Health Region 5 Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Unit (html)
University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC)
Great Lakes Center (html)
School of Public Health
1603 W Taylor St, Chicago, Illinois 60612
Dr. Jerome “Jerry” Paulson – Professor Emeritus of Environmental & Occupational Health – The George Washington University- Milken Institute School of Public Health | LinkedIn (html)
Time to Step Up Efforts to Protect Children from Climate Change (html)
HealthyChildren.org (html) – From the American Academy of Pediatrics – The AAP Parenting Website
Home – Jerome A. Paulson MD, EnviroHealthDoctor (html)
1113 N Howard St.
Alexandria, VA 22304
The State of Public Health Lead Policies: Implications for Urban Health Inequities and Recommendations for Health Equity
International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2019; 16(6):1064 – IJERPH | Free Full-Text | The State of Public Health Lead Policies: Implications for Urban Health Inequities and Recommendations for Health Equity (html) (pdf), Received: 21 February 2019 / Revised: 18 March 2019 / Accepted: 20 March 2019 / Published: 24 March 2019
The State of Public Health Lead Policies: Implications for Urban Health Inequities and Recommendations for Health Equity. – PubMed – NCBI (html)
The State of Public Health Lead Policies: Implications for Urban Health Inequities and Recommendations for Health Equity (html) (pdf)
Screening for Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Children and Pregnant Women, Updated Evidence Report and Systematic Review & Recommendation Statement
Lead exposure remains an urgent health problem that requires action, not just calls for more evidence!
There are many proven best practices that involve taking action to prevent exposures, screening of high-risk children, and then referring families who have children with elevated blood lead levels to risk assessors and others who are trained and licensed to identify, quantify, and remediate exposure.
Screening for Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Childhood and Pregnancy: Updated Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force (html), April 16, 2019 | Guidelines | JAMA | JAMA Network, PubMed – NCBI (html) (html)
Screening for Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Children and Pregnant Women: US Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement (html) (pdf), April 16, 2019 | Guidelines | JAMA | JAMA Network, PubMed – NCBI (html)
Final Recommendation Statement: Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Children and Pregnant Women: Screening (html) – US Preventive Services Task Force
Screening for Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Children and Pregnant Women: Recommendation Statement – U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (html) (pdf) – American Family Physician
Screening for Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Childhood and Pregnancy: Updated Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force (html) — Oregon Health & Science University
Lead screening update from the US Preventive Services Task Force (html) (pdf) – The Journal of Pediatrics (html), DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2019.07.011
Screening for Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Childhood and Pregnancy: Updated Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force (html) | Semantic Scholar, Published in JAMA 2019, DOI:10.1001/jama.2019.1004
National Toxicology Program – Health Effects of Low-level Lead, June 13, 2012!
The National Toxicology Program (NTP), part of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, part of the National Institutes of Health – Health Effects of Low-level Lead (html), June 13, 2012!, Although reductions in lead exposure for the U.S. population have resulted in lower blood lead levels over time, epidemiological studies continue to provide evidence of health effects at lower and lower blood lead levels. The NTP Monograph on Health Effects of Low-level Lead (pdf) was developed to summarize the evidence for lead-associated health effects in children and adults at these low exposure levels. The evidence provides support for adverse health effects in both children and adults at blood lead levels below 10 μg/dL, and, for some effects, below 5 μg/dL.
The panel agreed with the draft NTP overall conclusions on cardiovascular, renal, and immune health effects associated with blood Pb levels <10 μg/dL. The panel recommended changing the draft summary conclusion for neurological effects in children and for reproductive effects in adult women from sufficient evidence of an association at blood Pb levels <10 ug/ dL to sufficient evidence of an association at blood Pb levels <5 ug/dL.
January/February 2019 – Volume 25 – Issue : Journal of Public Health Management and Practice – Supplement 1, Lead Poisoning Prevention
January/February 2019 – Volume 25 – Issue : Journal of Public Health Management and Practice (html) – Social issues dedicated to Lead Poisoning. Here are several articles:
Lead Elimination for the 21st Century : Journal of Public Health Management and Practice (html), Journal of Public Health Management and Practice: January/February 2019 – Volume 25 – Issue – p S3-S4, PubMed – NCBI (html) – Now is the time to eliminate lead from children’s environments.
Over time, scientific evidence has accumulated and no safe level of lead for children has been identified. Why then has the elimination of lead hazards in the environment not been more of a priority for society as a whole? Lead poisoning is the longest-lasting childhood epidemic in the United States and has never been treated as one.
Using Medicaid Data to Improve Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program Outcomes and Blood Lead Surveillance (html), Journal of Public Health Management and Practice: January/February 2019 – Volume 25 – Issue – p S51-S57, PubMed – NCBI (html)
Integrating Childhood and Adult Blood Lead Surveillance to Improve Identification and Intervention Efforts (html), Journal of Public Health Management and Practice: January/February 2019 – Volume 25 – Issue – p S98-S104, PubMed – NCBI (html) (pdf)
CDC’s Lead Poisoning Prevention Program: A Long-standing Responsibility and Commitment to Protect Children From Lead Exposure (html), Journal of Public Health Management and Practice: January/February 2019 – Volume 25 – Issue – p S5-S12, PubMed – NCBI (html) (html) (pdf)
Lead Poisoning Prevention: The Unfinished Agenda (html), Journal of Public Health Management and Practice: January/February 2019 – Volume 25 – Issue – p S1-S2, PubMed – NCBI (html) (pdf)
The Flint Water Crisis: A Coordinated Public Health Emergency Response and Recovery Initiative (html), Journal of Public Health Management and Practice: January/February 2019 – Volume 25 – Issue – p S84-S90, Perri Zeitz Ruckart, MPH, Adrienne S. Ettinger, ScD, MPH, MS, Mona Hanna-Attisha, MD, MPH, Nicole Jones, PhD, Stephanie I. Davis, MSPH, and Patrick N. Breysse, PhD, PubMed – NCBI (html) (pdf)
Causes for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Are Complex & Many
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a brain disorder that affects social skills, communication and behavior control. In the United States, it affects one in 59 children, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Studies show that about one in four children with autism goes undiagnosed.
What causes autism? (html) | NICHD – Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
One in four children with autism goes undiagnosed, study finds (html), January 10, 2020 – UPI.com
Autism Spectrum Disorder Fact Sheet (html) | National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)
Noteworthy Lead Poisoning Related Books
Toxic Truth: A Scientist, a Doctor, and the Battle over Lead: Lydia Denworth (html): 9780807000328: Amazon.com: Books (html), Toxic Truth Site (html)
What the Eyes Don’t See: A Story of Crisis, Resistance, and Hope in an American City: Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha (html) [Wikipedia]: 9780399590832: Amazon.com: Books (html)
Miscellaneous Lead Poisoning Updates
- Poisoned by their homes: how the US is failing children exposed to lead | US news | The Guardian (html) Wed 26 Jun 2019 – “We are currently doing things backwards [by] using children’s blood as detectors of environmental contamination,” said Dr Mona Hanna-Attisha, the pediatrician who famously uncovered elevated levels of lead in her pediatric patients and linked it to a new water source in Flint, Michigan. “The screening that needs to happen is in the environment before children are ever exposed.”
- This Lead Is Killing Us: A History of Citizens Fighting Lead Poisoning in Their Communities (html) | U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM)
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, (USDHHS), US Center for Disease Control (CDC) – Lead – CDC’s Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (html), part of National Center for Environmental Health, (NCEH), Division of Environmental Health Science and Practice (EHSP)
- Exploring the long fight against lead poisoning in the United States (html) – The Washington Post, November 9, 2019
- ‘Troubling’ audit reveals state failure to test millions of babies for toxic lead | CalMatters (html), January 7, 2020 – “Because we know that lead has such harmful effects on kids and the impacts last a lifetime, the state [California] has a responsibility to want to eliminate all exposures so kids are not exposed in the first place,” said Dr. Jill Johnston (html), assistant professor of preventive medicine in the Division of Environmental Health at the USC Keck School of Medicine (html)
- Environmental Chemicals Are Stealing IQ Points from American Children and Costing Trillions to the Economy – Citizen Truth (html), January 18, 2020
- The Pediatrician Who Woke America Up to the Lead Crisis | Discover Magazine (html) November 13, 2019. Crisis – Thanks to one man’s perseverance, we know even small doses of lead can permanently harm growing kids
- Recent Increases in Air Pollution: Evidence and Implications for Mortality (html), National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) Working Paper No. 26381, Issued in October 2019
- Get the Lead Out – Center for American Progress (html) January 17, 2019 – Lead poisoning is completely preventable. But, because lead has no smell, taste, or color, communities and public health officials have significant challenges finding and measuring the presence of the toxic metal. Lead Exposure Activity Detection (LEAD) Innovation Fund – to be managed by the National Science Foundation, would accelerate the development of next-generation approaches to lead detection and monitoring. Specifically, it would focus on approaches that are smarter and cheaper and that better meet benchmarks set by federal agencies such as the EPA and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Lead Poisoning Prevention: The Unfinished Agenda (html) (pdf), 2019 January 25, J Public Health Manag Pract.
- United States Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Service, Urban Technical Note No. 4, January 2018 – Urban Soils in Agriculture – (pdf) Studies have found that 57 to 100 percent of the trace metals, e.g. Lead, found in storm-water are from atmospheric deposition
- Lead (Pb) Bioaccessibility and Mobility Assessment of Urban Soils and Composts: Fingerprinting Sources and Refining Risks to Support Urban Agriculture – Sharp – 2017 – GeoHealth – Wiley Online Library (html) (pdf)
- Case studies and evidence-based approaches to addressing urban soil lead contamination – ScienceDirect (html) (pdf), Applied Geochemistry, Volume 83, August 2017, Pages 14-30
- Report Highlights Effective State Strategies to Improve Lead Screening and Treatment in Children – The National Academy for State Health Policy (html), A Publication of the National Academy for State Health Policy, State Strategies to Improve Childhood Lead Screening and Treatment Services under Medicaid and CHIP (pdf), April 2018, National Academy For State Health Policy (NASHP)
- Early lead exposure and outcomes in adulthood, IFAU – Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education(2017) (html) (pdf)
- The Deadly Biology of Lead Exposure – Science in the News, Harvard University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (html), June 27, 2016
- Linking Source and Effect: Resuspended Soil Lead, Air Lead, and Children’s Blood Lead Levels in Detroit, Michigan | Environmental Science & Technology (html) (sample statistics pdf), February 21, 2013, PubMed (html)
- Lead Exposure and Lead Poisoning (html), American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- Learn about Lead | Lead | US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (html)
- American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) – Home4601 North Fairfax Drive, Suite 630 | Arlington, VA 22203. To Contact your local Poison Control Center: 1-800-222-1222, Help – PoisonHelp.org, Call 1-800-222-1222 or Get Help Online – Poison.org
Michigan Map Looks Like a Waterproof, Stain Resistant, Fireproof, Non-stick PFAS Mitten with a Secret Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) Lining That MDOT Just Happened to ‘forget’ to Tell ‘anyone’ About! How Convenient!
Elevated levels of PFAS found in water in Miami, New York, Philadelphia, other major cities (html) – UPI.com– The latest EWG study tested for 30 different PFAS compounds, but there are currently 600 PFAS compounds currently being used by various industries. Most of these aren’t well studied, so their potential toxicities aren’t understood.
Per and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) (html) | US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) – The FDA states there are nearly 5,000 types of PFAS, some of which have been more widely used and studied than others.
Part of the problem is that researchers working to study the safety of these compounds and their prevalence in the environment can’t keep up with their production by industrial sources, who are not required to report the development of new PFAS compounds and are reluctant to share trade secrets.
In Europe, PFAS compounds are banned — not so in the U.S.
Previous testing has found extremely high levels of PFAS in water samples collected near U.S. Navy and Air Force bases.
Hmmmm, sounds familiar, surely MDOT knows something, like Grand Rapids Michigan airport (GRR) (KGRR) (html), MDOT will deny, hide, obfuscate, and won’t tell anyone for sure. Seems like a common repeating pattern of behavior?
“People tend not to care about cleaning up after there is an aviation accident,” Rediske said. “They’re just trying to put out the fire and save people’s lives.”
PFAS Contamination – Michigan’s Biggest Environmental Crisis in Decades (html), May 28th, 2019 – Michigan Green Consortium (MGC)
PFAS in Michigan: What we know and what we need (html) – Michigan Environmental Council (MEC)
Research on Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) (html) | Safer Chemicals Research (html) | US EPA (EPA)
What About Exposure to Multiple Toxins Together: Tetraethyl Lead, PFAS, EDB?
PFAS Contamination of Drinking Water Far More Prevalent Than Previously Reported (html), EWG.org, Wednesday, January 22, 2020 – “The most significant factor, from a toxicology standpoint, is that certain ones stick to proteins in our blood,” Rediske said. “DDT and pesticides go in to our fat. Lead goes into our bones. Mercury goes into muscle. Because PFAS are carried around in our blood and aren’t discarded, they naturally concentrate over time. And they attach to the proteins that carry antibodies, cholesterol and hormones, that’s why you get so many different health effects caused by these compounds.”
The technical (real) answer is – even the SMEs do not know and can’t predict or isolate any particular health outcome(s). The marketing answer – MDOT is looking into it!
MDOT Continued Lead & PFAS Silence Threatens Recovery & Growth of Southeast Michigan
This MDOT silence not only threatens the recovery and growth of Southeast Michigan, it threatens the reputation of the entire State of Michigan on the national and international stage! What a needless pity caused by a handful of Lead loving clowns wagging the dog with no regard for the community or environmental sustainability!
Even while Ann Arbor was rated a top #3 tech hub in the nation, retaining and growing a tech hub in Southeast Michigan with so much competition worldwide should be a significant worry for Michigan business leaders at Michigan Business Aviation Association (MBAA), Ann Arbor SPARK, Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG), Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC| MiPlace| PlanetM), Michigan Venture Capital Association (MVCA), American Center for Mobility (ACM), and Pure Michigan the Official Travel & Tourism Website for Michigan which is a ‘nice marketing’ view but sadly currently does NOT reflect the true environmental and sustainability status and record of the State of Michigan!
The Brookings institute released a report Monday December 9, 2019, The case for growth centers: How to spread tech innovation across America (html) (full report pdf) (Exec Summary pdf) (Press release pdf) (Appendices pdf) that basically states:
What’s happening: “Most notably, just five top innovation metros — Boston, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle and San Diego — accounted for more than 90% of the nation’s innovation-sector growth during the years 2005 and 2017,” per the report. NOTE: these cities have a proven record of sustainability and environmental responsibility.
The report goes to say that “That’s not to say other metro areas didn’t see some growth in this sector. Cities like Denver, Atlanta and Salt Lake City increased their share, but their gains were smaller than those in the top five. Most metros have stayed relatively flat or lost innovation-sector share.”
Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, MI or basically SE Michigan, lost a notable percentage of jobs, but potential for growth is there (USNews) (Reuters) (Wired) if MDOT ignorance and belligerence doesn’t destroy our chances.
Every person in Michigan should remember that Detroit is only 5 years out of bankruptcy. Tuesday December 10th marks the Detroit’s bankruptcy 5 year anniversary. While great strides have been made, can Detroit avoid another one? (FreePress) Can Michigan ever shed the Lead Poisoning and Bankruptcy mantle? Can Michigan survive an economic recession or even a downturn? (MMTC) (SaveMICity) (MetroTimes)
The chance that Michigan will have continued weak economic fundamentals is one of the highest in the nation. In fact, Michigan’s state coincident index’s growth rate was negative in July all but confirming that its economy is on shaky grounds (Lendingtree). As MDOT squanders taxpayer money for pet projects and politicians fight over the bureaucratic ‘pork barrel’ budgets it should come as no surprise Michigan still has a long recovery road ahead:
- After 10 years of steady growth, Michigan’s economy faces headwinds (html) | Bridge Magazine
- Outlooks continue to show slower growth ahead for Michigan, U.S. economies (html) | MiBiz
- The Era of Fed Power Is Over. Prepare for a More Perilous Road Ahead (html) | WSJ
With the looming shortage and challenge of finding and retaining talent required for the next decade of Michigan growth (html), it’s clear that nobody wants to live, work, play, shop, or raise a family anywhere in Southeast Michigan with MDOT obscuring, hiding, accepting, encouraging, endorsing, sponsoring, and even directly misrepresenting and openly lying about known unsafe levels of Lead as safe which amounts to Lead Poisoning! This is common knowledge and is well known in the aviation industry for almost a decade.
MDOT has historically expended zero time, money or effort to truly address or even acknowledge Chemical contamination and Lead Poisoning. This is just the tip of the MDOT iceberg of chemical poisoning and contamination coverups that will affect Michigan’s future for years to come.
Michigan Residents Tired of the MDOT Tail Wagging the Dog and Demand Action
Taxpayers demand Michigan Lawmakers & Elected Officials remove all helicopters and airplanes from our Canton Township and Plymouth Township Michigan Neighborhoods, near our Schools, School Children & our Homes.
MDOT – the Michigan Department of Transportation has betrayed the public trust by promoting and protecting Special Interests & Industry Lobbyist agendas, wasting tax payer dollars, and withholding vital information regarding Health, Safety, and Welfare of vulnerable populations include pregnant women, babies, and school children.
MDOT, Special Interests, & Industry Lobbyists have misled, misrepresented, obscured, hidden, and outright lied to taxpayers about Public Health, Safety, & Welfare dangers from these helicopters and airplanes.
The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) budget contains the largest single waste of taxpayer money in the history of Michigan all while Michigan students and schools are completely ignored and neglected.
- Study: Michigan ranks last in school funding growth over 20 years (Crains)
- Michigan ranked 44th nationally in higher education spending in 2019 (TheMichiganDaily)
- Fewer students, tepid state funding roil Michigan public universities (BridgeMagazine)
- States with the best (and worst) schools. Few state school systems report worse achievement metrics than Michigan. (USAToday)
- National Education Association (NEA) Rankings of the States 2018 and Estimates of School Statistics 2019, NEA Research April 2019 (PDF)
It is absolutely unconscionable, and embarrassing as residents that the State of Michigan has not made any public statement regarding Public Health, Safety, and Welfare regarding Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) Poisoning, Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) at Plymouth Canton School System (PCCS), nor has any other responsible authority for that matter!
Some Recent Lame MDOT Activity History
2019 Week 43 Monday October 21, 2019 thru Sunday October 27, 2019. Busy MDOT weekend with Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist event complete with helicopter & airplane rides in a carnival like event giving community pregnant women, babies, school children & neighborhoods the middle finger!
The PCCS School Season began long ago and planes and helicopters are still buzzing in and out indiscriminately. The third-party contractor hired by the State of Michigan allows the right people to enjoy their Labor Day vacations and summer & fall time off flying over PCCS Schools and Plymouth and Canton Township neighborhoods. Hangar A2 is one such privileged hangar renter that gets the nod-nod wink-wink and enjoys toxic time over our schools and community. That is after this very well to do person’s additional extra or spare green car stored in the hangar is moved out the way, what a scam and insult to parents and taxpayers!
It’s all about the money, connections, Special Interests and Industry Lobbyist friends, family, contractors and MDOT employees. What a complete joke! The State of Michigan can’t seem to control this toxic Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 mess either, and continues to cater to these vindictive & vengeful clowns while the Health, Safety, and Welfare of our most vulnerable populations continues to be ignored, go figure.
The State Owned Hobby, Sport, Recreational Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 sneaky airplane and helicopter airstrip traffic continued for their summer and now fall vacations. Since there is NO “Closed” sign anywhere to be seen, for all intents and purposes 1d2 appears to be still “Open for Business” as usual, smugly and defiantly offering flying classes & training, helicopter & airplane rides, aviation rental storage units, and even boasting tours and class trip type visits for school age children. Wow, go figure!
Yes, the airstrip is still “Open for business as usual”, flying classes still advertised, take-off & landing from 6:30am to 10:00pm, many less than 200 feet over dangerously close neighborhoods, homes, schools, and retirement, nursing & rehabilitation centers. Now a commercial entity that owns ~7 helicopters from Oakland/Troy Airport (VLL) is offering Helicopter rides & classes like a side show carnival, nobody seems to take this seriously at all.
This is easily shown in 3D radar data sets used in typical NTSB & FAA aircraft & helicopter accident & crash investigation & reconstruction, e.g. using data from FAA & USAF Joint Surveillance System (JSS) RADAR station at Geddes & Michigan avenue (4.76 mi, 7.65 km, 4.13 nmi from 1d2) used for DTW, YIP, and others. See J-62, Z-397, Canton, MI, ARSR-4, 42°16′36″N 083°28′27″W, EADS, AGL Great Lakes. Or FAA Terminal Radar Approach Control Facilities (TRACON) Detroit LocID D21. The only people these morons at 1d2 are fooling is themselves!
The whole month of July – September was “open for business as usual” with the regular cast or morons including N1522V, N17177, N94891, N99MQ, and N6902T. However, more troubling is N992CP Civil Air Patrol [CAP] and N513RS Yankee Air Museum [YAM] [YAM], both performing prohibited dangerous touch-n-go’s on a tiny airstrip directly over schools, homes, and the many local assisted care living & rehabilitation facilities! What a sad state of affairs, it’s people at companies and organizations like these that are the perfect example why “we can’t have nice things!”
The Civil Air Patrol Inc, 105 S Hansell ST, Maxwell AFB Alabama 36112 (CAP) [Facebook] [Michigan Wing] (Satellite) [DOD Maxwell-Gunter AFB] [Facebook] seems to endorse, condone, support, sponsor, and or otherwise approve of Lead Poisoning of vulnerable populations like nearby school kids and the entire community with clowns like N992CP (Monday July 8, 2019 10:65am) at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip. CAP is a non-governmental non-profit organization that many believe has lost their respect along the way, e.g. many make comments like “Looking back, it didn’t really benefit in any way, and the grown up side is just a [pathetic] flight club for [arrogant] people that want to pretend they are/were military.” It’s no surprise Why CAP Members Are Leaving either, while there are some good people left, the local groups seem to be stuck with some of the “bottom of the barrel” seen in their frequent lapses in management decisions and judgment. Quite disturbing, sad and very disappointing . . .
The Yankee Air Museum (YAM) obviously has some problems of their own, don’t think they need increased bad press with jerks like Red WACO Biplane N513RS on July 6, 2019 between 12:00 Noon and 12:30pm treating Canton Township neighborhoods to an Oshkosh like thrill show, demonstrating reckless, careless, erratic, aerobatic flight maneuvers [AOPA] [FAA] [US GPO] [eCFR], swooping unnecessarily low over neighborhoods, extreme changes of altitude, speed, with obviously observable unsafe and dangerous flight characteristics, that easily appear on local FAA Air Traffic Control radar [ATC], over many homes, close PCCS schools, and assisted care living & rehabilitation facilities. The FAA [FAA] cannot seem to manage or control ANY of these out of control clowns, and neither can MDOT or even the State of Michigan!
These clowns really believe they are “above the law” and can do whatever they want whenever they want and continue to give the surrounding communities the big middle finger!
MDOT does not seem to care or can’t control anything at this airstrip. What a complete waste of taxpayer dollars. There is zero sense of urgency, Michigan residents deserve better!
NOTE: The single mission of close1d2.org is to eliminate Lead Poisoning of children in PCCS Schools and Plymouth & Canton neighborhoods from 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel used at State of Michigan MDOT owned Hobby, Sport, Recreational – Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airport!
As part of our mission one goal is to Inform, Expose and Eliminate Michigan Department of Transportation’s (MDOT) Best Kept Secret: Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Lead Poisoning of Michigan children!
Kids are sick and damaged, and continue to be sickened and damaged! MDOT and their Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist cronies continue to profit & benefit from unfettered, unfair, and unjust access to State of Michigan resources, funding, visibility, advertising & endorsement express or implied on State of Michigan web sites, undue political leverage, preferences & favoritism, protection & pandering [define] to Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist agendas and goals, and other benefits & perks as well.
Lead poisoning of Children from Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel remains an urgent health problem that requires action, not just calls for more evidence from MDOT, Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists!
This site is NOT against Aerospace & Defense, love of country, or patriotism by any means. Lead Poisoning of children has nothing to do with any of these topics! On the contrary, we salute the many fine Airmen & Airwomen protecting our country every single day! Some of the close1d2.org volunteers & contributors thrive in the excitement of the Aerospace & Defense Industry! Please see About page for further information.
National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week
- US Center for Disease Control (CDC) – National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week (html)
- EPA Kicks Off National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week | U.S. EPA News Releases | US EPA (html)
- National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week | Lead | US EPA (html)
- National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week | National Center for Healthy Housing (NCHH) (html)
- National Safety Council (NSC) Lead Poisoning Prevention – Lead Poisoning Is a Real and Present Danger (html)
- World Health Organization (WHO) | International lead poisoning prevention week of action (html)
- HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) – National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week (html)
- U.S. National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week (NLPPW) (pdf) was October 21, 2018 thru October 27, 2018.
- CDC | National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week, October 25-31, 2020 (html).
Please, don’t forget to Tell MDOT to Stop Poisoning Children 100LL leaded aviation fuel!
- Tell MDOT to STOP poisoning our children with 100LL leaded aviation fuel NOW!
- Tell the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) Childhood Lead Exposure Elimination Commission (CLEEC) to STOP the MDOT Lead Poisoning of children NOW!
- Tell Governor Whitmer to STOP MDOT from lead poisoning our children NOW!
MDOT Says Tetraethyl Lead is Harmless, No Threat to Public, Yeah Right!
April / May 2019 Update: Survey & Soil Boring Activities at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip and May 9, 2019 MDOT Response says Tetraethyl Lead is Harmless, No Threat to Public.
Throughout April / May 2019 what appears to be a full topographical survey and many precisely located soil borings were conducted at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip. Many in the community were hoping this was the start of environmental brownfield planning and development for a sustainable green space for the entire surrounding community. But tragically, that is NOT the case. Here is the reply from MDOT standing firmly and sadly behind antiquated FAA leaded aviation fuel rules: MDOT May 9, 2019 Response regarding decades old common knowledge and well known facts in the aviation and aerospace industry, and was totally expected from a subjective biased source. MDOT might be legally protected (CYA), but ethically and morally MDOT sure is lacking and in complete denial.
MDOT seems more concerned and focused on:
- Making fraudulent and misleading statements defending Lead as Harmless, No Threat to Public
- Defending phony budgets and astronomical economic impact & community ROI at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 as $16 Million Dollars yearly, divided by 12 months or $1.3 Million dollars per month! That’s $1,333,333.00 of THE most outrageous bunch of fictional garbage MDOT economic impacts ever inflicted on taxpayers thus far.
- Defending cronies at specific local Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists. This site has never mentioned any Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists by name anywhere. As everyone knows many groups do some important work like the rest of community, but anybody’s ‘good work’ has nothing to do with Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning of children whatsoever.
The comments in MDOT response are all personal opinion & personal agenda and has nothing to do with Taxpayers whatsoever.
MDOT should act on the Community Health, Safety and Welfare issues instead of defending ridiculous opinions that have nothing to do with protecting most importantly children from MDOT inflicted Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning and MDOT ‘collateral damage’ to surrounding schools, communities, neighborhoods, families.
Elimination of Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning is important for local Canton & Plymouth, Southeast Michigan, and State of Michigan families, neighborhoods, and schools, but also has positive Health, Safety, & Welfare impacts for vulnerable populations across the entire United States.
Many in the aviation, airspace & defense industries strongly disagree with decades old FAA & EPA rules (and MDOT hiding behind them) and related Federal gridlock to change specifications that everyone in aviation and aerospace industries knows are inaccurate and woefully out of date with respect to Health, Safety, and Welfare of nearby vulnerable populations. Many medical, governmental, professional, and technical facts and opinions to the contrary are presented here regarding 100LL leaded aviation fuel which is a serious problem for anyone near it, period. MDOT please do your best to join the 21stcentury with respect to 100LL lead exposure, especially with regards to the three very close schools!
“All of the EPA [FAA] lead standards are grossly inadequate and need to be updated to respect the science of ‘no safe level’ of lead exposure [CDC]. Only then will we as a nation [State] be able to fully protect the potential of our children from this preventable neurotoxin.”
Every effort will made to get the MDOT Lead Testing results and the defined tolerances for human exposure, including those used for vulnerable populations such as children, that were used for measurement and comparison. See MDOT Toxic Emissions Inventory at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 for details.
However, the independent testing was done by what appears to be the closest approved / contracted, and a respected engineering company just doing their job for MDOT:
The C&S Companies [LinkedIn][Facebook] [Twitter] – Quality Engineering, Architectural, and Construction Services with offices located at: 38777 Six Mile Rd. Suite 202, Livonia, MI 48152, +1-734-953-2571.
The C&S Companies recently handled the Detroit Metro Runway 4L-22R Rehabilitation. C&S also handles many Environmental projects that help transform blighted properties into integral, vibrant parts of a community, catalyzing revitalization of entire neighborhoods. With specialization in brownfield planning and development, helping individuals, municipalities, and corporations tackle even the most vexing brownfield and contaminant issues. The C&S team’s brownfield expertise includes:
- Area-wide and site-specific brownfield planning
- Phase I/II Environmental Site Assessments
- Site and remedial investigation
- Remedial evaluations and cost estimating
- Remediation oversight
- Public outreach
C&S has conducted a number of successful brownfield projects, ranging from small gas stations to large abandoned industrial sites. Their team of engineers, geologists, biologists, and planners have significant technical expertise that allows them to understand the issues inherent in brownfield redevelopment projects and give insight into the regulatory and administrative framework of the various state and federal brownfields programs. They also provide site layout, planning, and conceptual future development for brownfield redevelopment projects. The C&S Companies avidly support Sustainability (pdf), and are members of The American Council of Engineers, New York Section (ACEC NY).
Governor Whitmer will be attending the 2018 Michigan Infrastructure Conference (MIC)(details), jointly hosted by the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) [Wikipedia] of Michigan (ACEC MI) and the Michigan (ASCE MI) Section of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) [Wikipedia].
There are #6 key takeaways regarding Lead Poisoning of the Canton Plymouth Community and PCCS Schools in this Executive Summary below. See Lead Poisoning page for more detailed supporting information.
# – 1 – PEW– The Health Impact Project, a collaboration of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and The Pew Charitable Trusts, produced a set of recommendations entitled 10 Policies to Prevent and Respond to Childhood Lead Exposure: An assessment of the risks communities face and key federal, state, and local solutions, August 30, 2017. The 144 page (pdf) report goes on to say that by “Eliminating lead from airplane fuel would protect more than 226,000 children born in 2018 who live near airports, generate $262 million in future benefits, and remove roughly 450 tons of lead from the environment every year.”
The report also goes on to say: “In 2012, the FAA estimated that phasing out leaded fuel would take 11 years. According to a recent federal task force report, the FAA is working to identify unleaded alternative fuels for most piston engine aircraft by 2018 [FAA delayed until mid-2020 described below], and under section 231 of the Clean Air Act, the EPA is evaluating whether lead emissions from aviation fuel “cause or contribute to air pollution that may reasonably be anticipated to endanger public health or welfare.” Based on the results of its investigation, the EPA could help to expedite the elimination of lead in aviation fuel by using its authority under the act to issue an “endangerment finding,” indicating that leaded aircraft fuel emissions are polluting and harmful to public health. Such a ruling would trigger the FAA to issue standards.
However, given the extremely protracted timelines for ANY federal action, the report suggests that states should take steps to address the problem directly, by, for example, requiring all general aviation airports to provide unleaded gas or establishing fees or taxes on airports serving piston engine aircraft to support the cleanup of the soil in parks, near homes, schools, and child care facilities.” The https://close1d2.org/lead-poisoning team suggests a far more expedient solution which is to promptly close an unneeded, unwanted, non-commercially viable State owned hobby/sport/recreational airstrip located in densely populated neighborhoods very close to many schools thereby eliminating the continuous stream of lead poisoning immediately and completely, saving money for the taxpayer at the same time.
# – 2 – Myths & Realities of Leaded Aviation Fuel, prepared by Center for Environmental Health for Friends of the Earth, funding provided by The New York Community Trust, reinforces the relationship between children’s blood lead levels and the proximity of their schools and homes to airports such as 1d2 that exclusively use 100LL leaded aviation fuel for all of the piston engine aircraft and helicopters based there. Lead is highly toxic and causes a variety of adverse health effects; at low exposure levels, it can cause learning disabilities, lower IQ levels, increased blood pressure and nerve damage; at high levels of exposure, it can lead to brain damage and death. Lead puts children at especially high risk because they absorb larger amounts and are more sensitive to lead-induced toxicity. Lead exposure presents a particular danger to the development of children’s nervous systems.
Additionally, many national and international groups, including the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology (ISEE), International Network for Epidemiology (IJPC-SE), plus many others, join the Call for Action for Global Control of Lead Exposure to Eliminate Lead Poisoning (html) (pdf) (Epidemiology).
# – 3 – Lancet Medical Journal – While many might view the Flint Water Crisis as a tragic but isolated incident, a recent study in the medical journal The Lancet, Low-level lead exposure and mortality in US adults (pdf) March 12, 2018, found that exposure to low levels of lead contributes to as many as 412,000 premature deaths of residents across the United States each year.
This figure is approximately 10 times higher than what previous studies suggested, and places premature death from lead exposure almost on a par with deaths caused by smoking, which takes 483,000 American lives each year. Heart disease and Cancer are the leading cause of deaths in Michigan. Around the world everyone is realizing Lead is even deadlier than we feared as the full extent of its toxic effects are revealed. However, people must realize that Fixing America’s costly lead problem could yield billions more in benefits.
Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) & Ethylene Dibromide (EDB) is the unrecognized “Secondhand Smoke” of this decade (html) (html), and ten times worse!
Over 400,000 U.S. deaths per year caused by lead exposure. Past exposure to lead may be to blame for over 400,000 deaths in the United States every year, according to a new study published in The Lancet Public Health.
Health Effects of Secondhand Smoke (html) | American Lung Association. Secondhand smoke is a serious health hazard causing more than 41,000 deaths per year. It can cause or make worse a wide range of damaging health effects in children and adults, including lung cancer, respiratory infections and asthma (html) (html).
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), notes children are most susceptible to the harms of lead exposure; their developing bodies absorb the toxic chemical in higher amounts and their brains and nervous systems are more sensitive to lead. Lead exposure in children may cause developmental, behavioral, and learning problems, as well as anemia, hearing problems, and irreversible damage to almost all parts of their growing bodies.
The Lancet is a weekly peer-reviewed general medical journal. It is one of the world’s oldest and also one of the best known general medical journals. In the 2014 Journal Citation Reports, The Lancet was ranked second among general medical journals, (with an impact factor of 45), after The New England Journal of Medicine (impact factor of 56).
# – 4 – The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Health hazard evaluation report #20042888 Exposures to LEAD and other metals at an aircraft repair and flight school facility (pdf) found that:
- Tetraethyl Lead [toxnet manual search] dust was found on toys and a baby walker in the work area.
- Lead was detected in blood samples collected from all facility personnel. The hangar area had the highest surface concentrations of lead; lead was also found on the steering wheel of an employee’s car.
- Employees should use disposable shoe covers and on-site laundering for work clothes to reduce the potential for take-home lead contamination. Investigators also advised that children not be allowed in work areas. Employees were encouraged to wash their hands thoroughly before eating and drinking, before and after putting on gloves, and before leaving the facility.
- Do not eat or drink in the hangar area.
- In homes with a family member exposed to lead, care must be taken to prevent “take home” of lead, that is, lead carried into the home on clothing, skin, hair, and in vehicles. Lead-contaminated surface dust represents a potential source of lead exposure, particularly for young children.
- NOTE: keep in mind the CDC has since eliminated the term “blood lead level of concern” used in this report and declared there is NO safe level of lead in children’s blood.
A related May 2003 (!) Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University [wikipedia] thesis Controlling Lead Exposure During the Process of Cleaning Aviation Spark Plugs (html) (pdf) explores controlling the lead bromide particulate matter after it is removed from the spark plug electrode. Various control methods and/or procedural changes are discussed that may be employed to control the spread of lead bromide dust throughout the shop environment and the prevention of employee exposure to lead.
# – 5 – OSHA Safety Data Sheets (SDS) & American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Specs show LEADED 100LL aviation fuel is NOT like automobile gas at all, it’s Tetraethyl Lead [toxnet manual search] mixed with many other toxic chemicals!
100LL leaded aviation fuel, or avgas, is also known as 100 octane aviation fuel, is a petroleum based fuel designed for reciprocating aircraft and helicopter engines. 100LL leaded aviation fuel adheres to ASTM Specification D 910, and contains 2.12 grams of Tetraethyl Lead [toxnet manual search] per gallon. Again, 100LL leaded aviation fuel contains many toxic chemical additives and is NOT like automobile gasoline at all. It’s a synthetic blend of chemicals, including xylene, toluene, benzene, & tetraethyl lead. The toxicity hazards of these additive chemicals are well documented.
- Safety Data Sheet (SDS) from BP for leaded aviation fuel 100LL
- SDS from Gelest for Tetraethyl Lead used in leaded aviation fuel (Gelest deleted url)
- SDS from Shell for leaded aviation fuel 100LL
- Ethylene dibromide (MDEQ EDB) (EDB) (EDB) used in 1:1 ratio with Tetraethyl Lead in 100LL.
# – 6 – FAA and EPA Delay Process of Identifying and Mandating Unleaded Fuel Alternative for Piston Engine Aircraft & Helicopters, June 21, 2018.
An update on the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) website indicates that the 2018 date for identifying an unleaded fuel alternative for piston engine aircraft has now been delayed. Per the FAA, “Based on current projected activities and timelines, the testing completion date for the PAFI program will be mid-2020.” See Aviation Gasoline: Unleaded Avgas Progress Update for details regarding toxic tetraethyl lead used in 100LL aviation fuel.
NOTE: FAA delays were originally: announced June 4, 2018 – push December 2018 to December 2019, now announced September 7, 2018 – push December 2019 to mid-2020!
Additionally, Regulations for Lead Emissions from Aircraft from the EPA based on Endangerment Findings on Lead Emissions from Aircraft fuel has been postponed by the current administration in Washington.
The EPA originally scheduled to issue a proposed finding on the question of endangerment in 2017. This proposed finding would then undergo public notice and comment. After evaluating comments on the proposal, the EPA had plans to issue a final determination in 2018. It remains uncertain as to if and when this action will be pursued.
The use of unleaded aviation fuel cannot be mandated until an endangerment finding by the EPA is issued. NOTE: this means that for the foreseeable future, certainly years, the Plymouth-Canton Mettetal 1d2 airstrip, aircraft, and helicopters have free reign to continue subjecting vulnerable populations to the toxic effects of lead pollution from 100LL aviation fuel.
See Lead Poisoning page for more detailed supporting information.
See UPDATE: May 2019 – PCCS Schools Still Being Covered with 1d2 Lead Dust for additional supporting information.
It’s interesting to note, that there does not seem to be ANY objective taxpayer voice at 1d2 Canton Plymouth Mettetal at all, everyone is a third party contractor, friends or family of a third party contractor or MDOT employee, and/or a member of one or more Special Interest or Industry Lobbyist groups that do not seem to prioritize the Health, Safety, and Welfare of the schools and community at all, go figure.
Protect the PCCS Schools & Canton Plymouth Community from Lead Poisoning
The State of Michigan has a responsibility to the taxpayers to shut down 1d2 to Protect the Health, Safety, & Welfare of the community, densely populated neighborhoods, and schools from lead poisoning, especially the schools that are close and have many students, including Hulsing Elementary, Plymouth Christian Academy, East Middle School, Smith Elementary, and Plymouth Canton Educational Park (PCEP) described below.
- Hulsing Elementary School 8055 Fleet St., Canton, MI 48187 (Directly across the street, ~200 meters, ~270 steps from 1d2 Mettetal lead poisoning!)
- Plymouth Christian Academy, 43065 Joy Rd, Canton, MI 48187 (Directly across the street, ~190 meters, ~248 steps from 1d2 Mettetal lead poisoning!)
- East Middle School 1042 South Mill St., Plymouth, MI 48170 (Just down the street, ~950 meters, ~1230 steps from 1d2 Mettetal lead poisoning!). Google satellite shows East Middle School [Facebook] with over 75 – 100 PCCS school busses parked next to playground area, which is only 450m from Fairground Park [Facebook], and 850m from Kellogg Park Music in the Park [Arts] [City] [Concerts] [DDA] [Facebook], Downtown Plymouth [Facebook] [Twitter] [PureMI], and other Plymouth Michigan Parks & Events [Events] [Parks] [PureMI] [Weddings].
- Smith Elementary School 1298 McKinley St., Plymouth, MI 48170 (Just down the street, ~1500m, ~2040 steps from 1d2 Mettetal lead poisoning!)
- Plymouth Canton Educational Park (PCEP), and the three High schools located there which is just down the street, ~2300m, ~3100 steps from 1d2 Mettetal lead poisoning.
- Canton High School 8415 Canton Center Rd., Canton, MI 48187
Plymouth High School 8400 Beck Rd., Canton, MI 48187
Salem High School 46181 Joy Rd., Canton, MI 48187
- Canton High School 8415 Canton Center Rd., Canton, MI 48187
Hulsing Elementary School Google Maps (street|satellite) views show the hobby, sport, recreational Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip in the lower right and also shows Plymouth Christian Academy, East Middle Schools, Smith Elementary, and PCEP, all in very close proximity, obviously these schools are too dangerously close to toxic lead poisoning from 1d2 Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip.
It’s 2020, Didn’t the State of Michgan Learn Anything from Flint Lead Poisoning Debacle?
According to the EPA Lapses at all levels of government made the Flint Lead Poisoning crisis worse. The EPA needed to act more quickly. Even though the medical, scientific, and technological problems of lead poisoning are clear, government, at all levels, are still slow, don’t act at all, and get caught in the ‘analysis-paralysis’ of ‘whom is responsible’ loop hoping the problem will go away. Recognizing Lead Poisoning for what it is, constitutes a failure at all levels of government, including Local, County, and State showing severe management gaps and weaknesses. Canton Plymouth Mettetal 2018 1d2 Lead Poisoning appears to be just like the Flint Lead Poisoning Debacle all over again.
After the Flint Lead Poisoning debacle the EPA must strengthen lead poisoning oversight.“EPA needs to learn from Flint and this report,” said Mona Hanna-Attisha, the Flint pediatrician whose research in late 2015 first documented dangerously high lead levels in children’s blood. “All of the EPA lead standards are grossly inadequate and need to be updated to respect the science of ‘no safe level’ of lead exposure. Only then will we as a nation be able to fully protect the potential of our children from this preventable neurotoxin.”
Mona Hanna-Attisha (Hurley) (MSU) (MSU) (html) (html) (html) (html), who is director of pediatric residency at Hurley Children’s Hospital, is leading a group of experts including pediatricians, epidemiologists, developmental specialists, toxicologists, educators, geographers and county and state health officials. She went further to state “We cannot sit back and wait 20 years to see the consequences of lead poisoning in our schools and in our criminal justice system.”
Virginia Tech engineering professor Marc Edwards, a national authority whose Lead tests exposed the extent of Flint’s lead poisoning, told The Washington Post (2016, 2018): “People have realized they’ve been lied to, and EPA knew about this, and the state knew about this. What you really have as it spun out of control is a total loss of trust in government, which failed [residents] miserably. They don’t believe a word that anyone tells them.” Wow, this is starting to sound really familiar . . .
Marc Edwards surely knows and understands the importance of truth-seeking for scientists and engineers first hand. Professor Marc Edwards has received the Scientific Freedom and Responsibility Award, and been honored as Virginia Tech’s University Distinguished Professor, additionally the EPA has provided a $1.9 million grant to research lead poisoning where residents are struggling to get help from their governments.
Sadly, new accounting figures from July 2018 show the State of Michigan has spent nearly $25 million on attorneys handling cases involving the Flint lead crisis. Some of this money could have been better spent to protect the Health, Safety, and Welfare of babies, young children, students, families, nursing & pregnant mothers, retired & elderly at the many local assisted care living & rehabilitation facilities from Lead Poisoning by aircraft & helicopters using 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip.
Official EPA Reports Regarding Flint Lead Poisoning Debacle
The official EPA reports are available here:
EPA OIG finds management weaknesses delayed response to Flint water crisis
Recommends strengthening Safe Drinking Water Act oversight, revising Lead and Copper rule, July 19, 2018
Report: Management Weaknesses Delayed Response to Flint Water Crisis | EPA’s Office of Inspector General | US EPA
Management Weaknesses Delayed Response to Flint Water Crisis, Report at a Glance (pdf) (1 pg, 50 K)
Management Weaknesses Delayed Response to Flint Water Crisis, Report at a Glance, Full Report (pdf) (74 pp, 1 MB)
Environmental Health Perspectives A Decade Old
Environmental Health Perspectives (ISSN 1552-9924 and ISSN-L 0091-6765) is a monthly open access journal published with support from the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
As previously mentioned, Lead Poisoning from leaded 100LL aviation fuel is common knowledge and is well known in the aviation industry for over a decade! Here are two from many examples worth noting, one from 2011 and another 2008, a full decade ago!
-1- Research | Environmental Health Perspectives | Vol. 119, No. 10, A Geospatial Analysis of the Effects of Aviation Gasoline on Childhood Blood Lead Levels (pdf), First Published:13 July 2011, that notes:
- Blood lead screening data were available for 125,197 children in the study counties, including 13,478 children living within 2,000 m of an airport.
- The analysis indicates that living within 1,000 m of an airport where leaded aviation fuel 100LL is used has a significant effect on blood lead levels in children.
- The results further suggest that the impacts of avgas are highest among those children living closest to the airport.
- NOTE: keep in mind the CDC has since eliminated the term “blood lead level of concern” used in this report and declared there is NO safe level of lead in children’s blood, as would be found within 2,000 m of an airport like Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip.
-2- Review | Environmental Health Perspectives | Vol. 116, No. 10, Lead Exposures in U.S. Children, 2008: Implications for Prevention (pdf), First Published:19 May 2008, that notes:
- Not all sources of lead are listed in the U.S. EPA TRI. Some sources of lead poisoning such as Propeller aircraft using aviation gasoline (avgas) are [conveniently] exempt from reporting, fell below reporting quantities, or choose not to report; nonetheless, they can contaminate surrounding communities. For example, at one airport where many airplanes used avgas, average and maximum air lead levels were 0.030 and 0.302 μg/m3, respectively, versus background levels of 0.007 and 0.018 μg/m3 (Environment Canada 2000). Another study showed that even at an airport with few planes using avgas, air lead levels were higher downwind than upwind (Illinois Environmental Protection Agency 2002).
- Lead binds tightly to soils, and eight decades of leaded gasoline combustion and past industrial emissions have left a legacy entrained in soil.
- NOTE: keep in mind the CDC has since eliminated the term “blood lead level of concern” used in this report and declared there is NO safe level of lead in children’s blood.
Current Updates On Childhood Lead Poisoning
The Effect of Leaded Aviation Gasonline [sp] on Blood Lead in Children (html) (pdf) by Associate Professor Shawn P. McElmurry (html), Wayne State University (WSU), Detroit, Michigan et al. First published in August 2014 right in the middle of the Flint Lead Poisoning crisis / debacle as it was unfolding. It certainly makes anyone wonder WHAT did then Governor Snyder, and now MDOT and MDHHS know and WHEN did they know it. Many in the community believe that this looks like part of the same or perhaps yet another attempted Lead Poisoning related coverup. As they say, when something walks like a duck, quacks like duck, and looks like a duck, it probably IS a duck. It is so surprising that highly respected Michigan based research results and reporting using official BLL data from over 1 million Michigan children (!) supplied by the State of Michigan would go unnoticed by so many for so long. Unfortunately, only the Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel (MIAG) or maybe the Michigan Auditor General Doug Ringler (MAG) have the power and access required to really uncover the truth! This is way beyond our pay grade!
An updated version was published in the Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists (home): Vol 4, No 2, April 11, 2017 (html) (https://doi.org/10.1086/691686).
To address an EPA request for more evidence, the authors constructed a novel dataset that links time and spatially referenced Blood Lead Level (BLL) data from 1,043,391 children to hundreds of nearby airports in Michigan, as well as a subset of airports with detailed data on the volume of piston-engine aircraft traffic. The Michigan Department of Community Health, Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Project [State of Michigan] provided the blood Tetraethyl Lead data used in this study, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Health & Society Scholars Program (home) provided financial support. Additional Michigan Lead Poisoning Prevention resources [WayneCounty] [WayneCounty] [Oakland County] [Washtenaw County] [Detroit] [Detroit] [Detroit] [Ingham County].
The evidence shows that Piston Engine Aircraft (PEA) (including helicopter) traffic imposes a substantially higher burden on children within 2 km of an airport, as compared to children living beyond 2 km of an airport. More precisely, the likelihood of a child’s BLL exceeding 5 μg/dL for a standard deviation in PEA traffic is higher for children residing <2km relative to children residing >2km from an airport. Additionally, damages from [exposure to Tetraethyl Lead and other chemicals] were calculated to be at least $10 per gallon, which can be compared to a pump price [at the time] of about $6 per gallon. BTW: 2 kilometers is over 6500 feet, this amounts to a moderate walk for ~20 minutes in any direction. Additionally, NOTE: that the CDC now states that there is NO safe BLL for Tetraethyl Lead in children, period!
An article in Clinical Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Volume 18, Issue 3, September 2017, Pages 181-192, An Update on Childhood Lead Poisoning (pdf), found that:
- Children’s exposure to sources of lead contamination, including leaded 100LL aviation fuel (avgas) continues to be an important public health concern.
- Lead has no biological role in the body, and any detectable lead level is abnormal.
- There is indisputable scientific evidence that blood lead levels (BLL) below 10 µg/dL are associated with adverse effects in infants and children.
- Each lead-exposed child costs an estimated $5600 in medical and special educational services.
- Lead exposure-related cognitive impairments cost an estimated $50.9 billion annually in lost US economic productivity.
- Studies of children with higher BLLs have consistently demonstrated lower IQ scores, more language difficulties, learning disorders, attention problems, and behavioral issues.
The American Academy of Pediatrics Council on Environmental Health, July 2016, VOLUME 138 / ISSUE 1, article Prevention of Childhood Lead Toxicity [PubMed] (pdf) found that:
- Primary prevention should be the focus of policy on childhood lead toxicity.
- Low-level lead exposure, even at blood lead concentrations below 5 μg/dL (50 ppb), is a causal risk factor for diminished intellectual and academic abilities, higher rates of neurobehavioral disorders such as hyperactivity and attention deficits, and lower birth weight in children.
- No effective treatments ameliorate the permanent developmental effects of lead toxicity.
- Still, in some communities, such as those surrounding airports, airborne lead is an important source of lead exposure. Airborne lead is ingested primarily after it settles in house dust and soil where children play. Current sources of airborne lead include piston engine aircraft . . .
- The contributions of airborne lead to children’s blood lead concentrations are proportionately greater at the lower levels of exposure than at higher levels.
The Journal of the American Medical Association, March 28, 2017, Vol 317, No. 12, Pages 1191-1286, article by Reuben A, Caspi A, Belsky DW, et al., Association of Childhood Blood Lead Levels With Cognitive Function and Socioeconomic Status at Age 38 Years and With IQ Change and Socioeconomic Mobility Between Childhood and Adulthood, (pdf) JAMA. 2017;317(12): 1244–1251. (doi: 10.1001/jama.2017.1712) [PubMed][JAMA][NCBI] found that the devastating effects of childhood lead exposure could last a lifetime.
What makes this study stand out, however, is that children were found to experience long term harm after even modest levels of exposure. The conclusion was that childhood lead exposure was associated with lower cognitive function and socioeconomic status at age 38 years and with declines in IQ and downward social mobility. As the entire world seems to realize, the medical, scientific, and technological problems of lead poisoning are clear, childhood lead exposure, no matter how small, may certainly have long-term ramifications that are not obvious and observed immediately.
The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) [LinkedIn][twitter][Wikipedia] is a peer-reviewed medical journal published 48 times a year by the American Medical Association (AMA) [twitter][Wikipedia]. It publishes original research, reviews, and editorials covering all aspects of the biomedical sciences.
Plymouth Canton Community Schools (PCCS), Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) Poisoning Cause & Effect
Even the most simplistic “Cause and Effect” relationship of Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) Poisoning of vulnerable populations and its connection to Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is often overlooked and sometimes it even appears to be ignored [purposely] by Local, County, and State officials. This is even in light of the massive volume of accumulated medical and scientific evidence.
For instance it should be noted how the Alarming Increase in Autistic Students Creates Challenges for School Districts as reported in [HomeTownLife]. Locally, this means the Plymouth-Canton Community Schools (PCCS) District faces a staggering 47% increase in the number of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) students enrolled in the PCCS School District since 2010.
Of course, the following abbreviated list represents just a tiny sampling and NOT an official or thorough survey of the tidal wave of accumulated medical and scientific evidence linking Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) Poisoning to Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD):
- Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and Lead Poisoning: Diagnostic Challenges and Management Complexities (html). Hauptman, M., Stierman, B., & Woolf, A. D. (2019). Clinical Pediatrics, 58(6), 605–612. [PubMed html]. https://doi.org/10.1177/0009922819839237.
- Baby Teeth Link Autism and Heavy Metals (html) 2017, NIH study suggests | National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Long-Lasting Effects of Childhood Lead Poisoning (html) 2017 – Consumer Reports.
- Environmental Chemical Exposures and Neurodevelopmental Impairments In Children – Bellinger – Pediatric Medicine (html) (pdf) doi: 10.21037/pm.2018.11.03, Bellinger DC. Pediatr Med 2018;1:9.
- Blood Lead Concentrations and Children’s Behavioral and Emotional Problems: A Cohort Study | Anxiety Disorders | JAMA Pediatrics | JAMA Network (html) (pdf) JAMA Pediatr. 2014;168(8):737-745. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2014.332, Journal American Medical Association (JAMA) (PubMed html) (PubMed pdf).
- Childhood Lead Exposure and Attention-Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder Symptoms: A Meta- Analysis, 2018, Walden University ScholarWorks, Walden Dissertations and Doctoral Studies Collection (html) (pdf)
- The Association between Lead and Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: A Systematic Review, 2019, (html) (pdf) (PubMed html) (PubMed html) (PubMed pdf).
- Screening for Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Children: A Systematic Review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force – PubMed – NCBI (PubMed html). Evidence Synthesis Number 174. Prepared for: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality https://www.ahrq.gov. (PubMed html) (PubMed pdf) AHRQ Publication No. 18-05245-EF-1 April 2019.
- Screening for Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Pregnant Women: A Systematic Review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force – PubMed – NCBI (PubMed html). Evidence Synthesis Number 175, Prepared for: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality https://www.ahrq.gov. (PubMed html) (PubMed pdf) AHRQ Publication No. 18-05245-EF-2 April 2019.
- Children and ADHD: What you need to know| MIBluesPerspectives (html). Michigan Blue Cross & Blue Shield, April 1, 2019. Despite extensive research, any exact cause(s) of ADHD is still inconclusive. However, evidence strongly suggests links to genetics and environmental factors such as lead poisoning. The latest Health of America Report (pdf) from Blue Cross Blue Shield has more data (xlsx) on ADHD and its growing impact on children and adolescents. Read the full report here, that presents statistics that everyone in Michigan should be concerned about.
- Early Childhood Lead Exposure and Academic Achievement: Evidence from Detroit Public Schools, 2008–2010 (PubMed html) (PubMed pdf).
- Lead (Pb) Toxicity: What Are the Physiologic Effects of Lead Exposure? (html) (pdf) | Center for Disease Control (CDC), Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) – Environmental Medicine & Environmental Health Education – Case Studies in Environmental Medicine (CSEM).
- Lead poisoning – Symptoms and causes – Mayo Clinic (html). Lead poisoning occurs when lead builds up in the body, often over months or years. Even small amounts of lead can cause serious health problems. Children younger than 6 years are especially vulnerable to lead poisoning, which can severely affect mental and physical development.
It seems that when you put Tetraethyl Lead on pregnant women, babies, and school children, or any vulnerable populations for that matter, this is what happens. What are these people thinking? Tetraethyl Lead doesn’t disappear or go away by itself, right “Captain Obvious”?
See more references on page “1 million Michigan Child BLLs Show MDOT Lead Poisoning Coverup” for further evidence directly linking Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) Poisoning.
When anyone sees the overwhelming mountain of medical and scientific evidence, it appears the only conclusion is that MDOT’s main purpose & sole mission is to promote & protect the MDOT Flying Club Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist Clique and NOT Michigan’s vulnerable populations, go figure.
Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) and Ethylene Dibromide (EDB) Used in 100LL Aviation Fuel, PFASs and Dioxane Are All Endocrine Disruptor Compounds (EDC) Extensively Used in Aviation Related Activities.
Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) and Ethylene Dibromide (EDB) used in 100LL Aviation Fuel and Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) and Dioxane are all Endocrine Disruptor Compounds (EDC) used extensively in Aviation related activities.
- Tetraethyllead | Pb(C2H5)4 – PubChem – (CAS 78-00-2)
- EDB | 1,2-Dibromoethane | Br(CH2)2Br – PubChem – (CAS 106-93-4) (EPA pdf) (WI DHS)(NJ DOH) (ATSDR) (ToxFAQs)
- Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) (EPA) (NIEHS) (CDC) (LiveScience)
- Dioxane | C4H8O2 – PubChem – (CAS 123-91-1)
A research report by the Swiss Federal Department of the Environment, Transport, Energy and communications DETEC, Federal Office of Civil Aviation FOCA, Aviation Policy and Strategy Environmental Affairs, titled “Aircraft Piston Engine Emissions Summary” (pdf) brings up another dirty little aviation secret that is all but ignored, obscured, and most likely hidden on purpose.
Leaded 100LL aviation fuel contains a similar amount of ethylene dibromide (EDB), usually a 1:1 ratio, e.g. 2.12 grams of Ethyl Bromide are combined with 2.12 grams of Tetraethyl Lead AKA Pb(C2H5)4 (CAS # 78-00-2) per gallon of aviation fuel. Ethyl Bromide AKA Bromoethane AKA CH3CH2Br (CAS # 74-96-4) is used to remove (scavenge) lead deposits from the combustion parts of the engine. Otherwise spark plugs can be destroyed and deposits on valves can obstruct their proper operation. Ethyl Bromide, or the scavenger, is an environmentally harmful substance, believed to be carcinogenic, is an EDC and contributes to stratospheric ozone depletion (EPA EDB Hazard Summary 106-93-4) (EDB was banned under International Rotterdam Convention) (IRC home).
Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), Endocrine Disrupting Compounds (EDCs), and heavy metals in amniotic fluid: a case-control study (09 January 2019) | Molecular Autism | (html) (pdf) Existing studies of autism suggest that prenatal metal exposure may be related to autism. Exposure to Pb (Lead) during neurodevelopment has significant effects on neurobehavioral and intellectual performance, also resulting in attention, hyperactivity, and learning disorders. Lead poisoning has been suggested as a possible risk factor for autism, as Pb (Lead) blood levels of autistic children have been reported to be significantly higher than those of healthy children. Previous studies have shown that perinatal exposure to Mn, Pb (Lead), and Cd from air pollution increased ASD risk. In this study, the authors observed that As and Pb (Lead) levels in AF tend to be positively associated with ASD risk, suggesting the possible role of prenatal exposure to toxic metals in the ASD development.
The study summarized that environmental endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs), such as PFAS, some metals (including Lead), and their biological activities can be detected in amniotic fluid, indicating that EDCs can cross the placenta and increase the potential fetal exposure to these environment contaminants. EDCs might modify ASD risk by influencing the hormone receptor function.
Early Life Exposure to Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals and Childhood Obesity and Neurodevelopment, 2016 Nov 18, (html) (pdf). EDCs may increase the risk of childhood neurodevelopmental disorders by interfering with early life thyroid hormone signaling or metabolism. Thyroid hormones play a critical role in neuronal migration, synaptogenesis, and myelination during gestation and childhood. Even clinically non-significant variations in maternal thyroxine or thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) levels during pregnancy are associated with reduced cognitive abilities, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) symptoms, and increased autism risk.
A couple of key points of several noted:
- Endocrine disrupting chemicals may increase the risk of childhood neurodevelopmental disorders or obesity by disrupting hormonally-mediated processes during critical periods of development.
- The developing fetus, infant, and child may have enhanced sensitivity to environmental stressors like EDCs and greater exposure to some EDCs because of developmentally appropriate behavior, anatomy, and physiology.
Of course, the following abbreviated list represents just a tiny sampling and NOT an official or thorough survey of the tidal wave of accumulated medical and scientific evidence:
- Higher lead in topsoil boosts probability of cognitive difficulties in five-year-old boys, (MedicalExpress), April 10, 2019
- Pregnant Moms’ Air Pollution Exposure May Affect Babies’ Health | The Scientist Magazine® (html), Sep 23, 2019
- Call to Action on Neurotoxin Exposure in Pregnant Women and Children | Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorders | JAMA | JAMA Network | (html)
- The Emerging Clinical Neuroscience of Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Review | Autism Spectrum Disorders | JAMA Psychiatry | JAMA Network | (html)
- U.S. Air Quality Was Improving. Now It’s Getting Worse, and data shows more people are dying (PBS) (APNews) (Bloomberg) (WashingtonPost)
- PFAS Chemicals: EDCs Contaminating Our Water and Food Supply | Endocrine Society (html)
- Experts warn PFAS endocrine-disrupting chemicals may drive obesity, osteoporosis (html)
- A restatement of the natural science evidence based on the effects of endocrine disrupting chemicals on wildlife | Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences (html) (pdf)
- Clinical Epigenetics | Home page (html)
- Pollution and epigenetics (html)
- Air pollution-induced placental alterations: an interplay of oxidative stress, epigenetics, and the aging phenotype? | Clinical Epigenetics | (html) (pdf)
- Ethylene Dibromide (EDB) – EveryCRSReport.com, (html) (pdf) Ethylene Dibromide (EDB) IP0280E, Congressional Research Service, The Library of Congress, 01-31-1985!
- Dirty Dozen Endocrine Disruptors | EWG (html)
- What is Endocrine Disruption? | Endocrine Disruption | US EPA (html)
- Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals EDCs | Hormone Health Network (html)
- Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals | Hormone Health Network (html)
- WHO | Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals (EDCs) (html)
- The Gerald R. Ford International Airport in Grand Rapids Michigan claims ‘water is safe,’ but won’t say where – Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances. This seems to be typical Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT), behavior, e.g. avoiding, obscuring, and even hiding the truth from taxpayers when confronted (html)
- Endocrine Disruptors (pdf), National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Endocrine Disruptors: from Scientific Evidence to Human Health Protection, March 2019 (pdf) This research paper was requested by the European Parliament’s Committee on Petitions and commissioned, overseen and published by the Policy Department for Citizen’s Rights and Constitutional Affairs.
- Critical Windows of Development Timeline — The Endocrine Disruption Exchange (html)
- Home — The Endocrine Disruption Exchange (html)
- PFAS Update 2019: Emerging Contaminants – What’s New, And What’s Next?
By Stephanie R. Feingold Drew Cleary Jordan, April 24, 2019 (pdf), states that many different Theories of Liability Being Pursued: Public Nuisance and Private Nuisance, Trespass, negligence, Abnormally Dangerous/Ultra Hazardous Activities, Failure to Warn, Claims for both Property Damage and Personal Injury/Medical Monitoring, and possibly Fraud and or State Statutory Consumer Protection Statutes & Other State Codified Analogs of Common Law Claims.
Important 2020 Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) updates:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) | Autism (html) | National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities (NCBDDD) |Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- 2020 Community Report on Autism (html) (pdf) | Autism | NCBDDD | CDC
- Key Findings: CDC Releases First Estimates of the Number of Adults Living with Autism Spectrum Disorder in the United States (html) | Autism | NCBDDD | CDC
- National and State Estimates of Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder (html) | SpringerLink
- Autism (html) | HHS.gov
- NIMH » Autism Spectrum Disorder (html)
- CDC Releases New Prevalence Rates of People with Autism Spectrum Disorder (html) – Autism Society
- U.S. Autism Rates Up 10 Percent in New CDC Report (html) – 2020 – News Releases – News – Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School Public Health
- CDC estimate on autism prevalence increases by nearly 10 percent, to 1 in 54 children in the U.S. (html) | Autism Speaks
- NIMH » Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
Please check back for updates.
Why Isn’t the State of Michigan Stopping the Lead Poisoning of PCCS Schools & Canton Plymouth Community from a Completely Unneeded State Owned Hobby, Sport, Recreational Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 Airstrip?
Wow MDOT non-sense has been going on almost 3 Years, since demanding our State of Michigan Elected Officials and Departments (#1 April 2017 & #2 September 2017 , #3 January 2019 to Governor Whitmer, #4 April 2019, more emails to be published soon) protect the Health, Safety, and Welfare of babies, young children, students, families, nursing & pregnant mothers, retired & elderly at the many local assisted care living & rehabilitation facilities from Lead Poisoning by aircraft & helicopters using 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip.
Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip is still “Open for Business As Usual” for over two years. When is the State of Michigan going to take action to protect our vulnerable populations from MDOT Lead Poisoning?
There is NO end in sight and NO protection of the Health, Safety, and Welfare of PCCS Schools, Canton, Plymouth, and surrounding neighborhoods, and the community at large, including babies, young children, students, families, nursing & pregnant mothers, retired & elderly at the many local assisted care living & rehabilitation facilities!
See UPDATE: May 2019 – PCCS Schools Still Being Covered with 1d2 Lead Dust for details
NOTE: Million $ Personal Helicopters, Staudacher S600F Professional Stunt Planes, Cirrus SR-22s starting at $539,000+, owners with multiple airplanes, it’s all about money and Special Interests & Industry Lobbyist influence enabled by MDOT – The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) at a State of Michigan (SoM) owned Hobby, Sport, Recreational Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip located in densely populated Canton & Plymouth neighborhoods & PCCS Schools at the expense of the Health, Safety, and Welfare (MDHSS) of the most vulnerable populations subjected to a continuous stream of Lead Poisoning. MDOT– the Michigan Department of Transportation, a State of Michigan Department that prioritizes their Hobby, Sport, Recreational activities while ignoring Community Health, Safety, and Welfare is not only unethical and shameful, it’s just plain disgusting, Michigan deserves better!
The unethical, greedy, self-centered, MDOT, Special Interest, and Industry Lobbyist actions are unfair to FAA budgets and cheat the other 25,000 airports all across the country that have legitimate budget requests and really require positive funding & support in their respective communities. Additionally, MDOT, Special Interests, Industry Lobbyists, and individual aircraft owners and pilots at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 have betrayed the public trust, and have damaged the reputation and integrity of the Aviation, Aerospace, & Defense community at large with past & continued hostile, immature, selfish behaviors with total disregard of schools, neighborhoods, & community. A very sad waste of taxpayer hard earned dollars!
MDOT officials should be held accountable for the obvious, well known, common knowledge of foreseeable lead poisoning personal injury, property damage, and cleanup costs just as a Federal Judge reinstates previous Michigan Governor Rick Snyder as defendant as new evidence was presented that show many believe ‘He covered it up‘ as the Flint Lead Poisoning Debacle lawsuit proceeds. This new move now puts his personal wealth at risk.
It does not matter where the toxic lead comes from, Ann Arbor Public Schools are monitoring high lead levels in an effort to protect students, the Ann Arbor School System realizes that lead is toxic even at low levels of 5 parts per billion, why isn’t PCCS Schools and Plymouth & Canton monitoring for toxic lead to protect our students too regardless of where the lead originates? Ann Arbor school officials have immediately laid out a response plan for lead in schools.
Shortly after announcing the initial plan the Ann Arbor School System is quickly and wisely increasing the response to any child lead exposure levels. Most recently, the city of Ann Arbor has agreed to release information under Michigan’s FOIA law about past and present lead component locations that may require additional replacements due to potential lead contamination concerns. Ann Arbor is trying to stay ahead of the curve re water testing and filtering.
The demands for Community Protection under law are reasonable, & simple really:
- Taxpayers demand protection of our schools & community from lead poisoning
- Non-flying Taxpayers shouldn’t be forced to pay for several dozen well to do pilots to use Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 Airstrip as excess capacity exists more appropriately elsewhere all while taxpayers are forced to pay for Roads with a 20 year millage increase! This is after Canton Township siphoned $10 million from the township’s general fund — money that could have been better spent — to complement cash-strapped Wayne County, which has jurisdiction over township roads, but lacks the money to fix the problem. Michigan DOT spends $154 per capita vs Pennsylvania spend of $530 per capita which costs Michigan residents $865 vs $377 per capita nationally!
2020: Time for NEW Canton Township Leadership, & Flush Three More Stooges!
2020 is the time for Knowledgeable, Responsible, and Accountable Canton Township Leadership from someone like Ann Marie Graham-Hudak [Canton] [Canton] [Crains] [Crains] [PlymouthVoice] [Ford Facebook]. Canton Township needs a respected Leader that will stand up for our Community and actively promote and protect the Health, Safety, and Welfare of our most vulnerable populations including many nearby school children, babies, adolescents, families, nursing & pregnant mothers, retired & elderly at the many local assisted care living & rehabilitation facilities from Lead Poisoning from Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel used at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip!
- Anne Marie for Canton Supervisor – Home (html) | Facebook.
- Anne Marie Graham-Hudak For Canton Township Supervisor (html). Moving Canton Township, Michigan Forward – We can choose to protect our natural beauty, manage infrastructure and growth, and attract the jobs of tomorrow; but, not if we keep doing what we’ve always done. It’s time for a change! Vote Anne Marie Graham-Hudak For Canton Township Supervisor!
- Home | MovingCantonForward (html).
2020 is also the time to flush three more stooges, clowns, and blowhards not to mention self-proclaimed Lead Poisoning experts: Pat Williams [Canton] [Canton], Michael Siegrist [Canton], and John Anthony [Canton]! The Community cannot afford to let these three almost comedic bozos to continue to schlep around and drag our community and its community health and reputation down with their combined and continued efforts to knowingly remaining silent (acquiesce) adding to sum of the Community Health Malpractice & Negligence.
Collectively, taxpayers, and the Plymouth Canton Community School System (PCCS) can thank all three of you for your combined and continued efforts to knowingly remaining silent (acquiesce) adding to the “Community Health Malpractice & Negligence” for failing to do anything to protect the Health, Safety, and Welfare of babies, young children, Plymouth Canton Community School System (PCCS) students, families, nursing and pregnant mothers, retired and elderly at the many local assisted care living and rehabilitation facilities, our most vulnerable populations, from toxic effects of lead pollution from 100LL aviation fuel used by aircraft, and helicopters at Plymouth-Canton Mettetal 1d2 airstrip.
Larry, Moe & Curly, er I mean Pat, Michael & John thank you, thank you very little for doing absolutely nothing to avoid a Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Lead poisoning coverup, SEE: 1 million Michigan Child BLLs Show MDOT Lead Poisoning Coverup.
There has not been a peep from Kurt “Beavis” Heise. Why doesn’t the leader of Plymouth Township take a stand especially in an election year to protect the local communities and schools from Tetraethyl Lead poisoning? BTW: so, if Heise is “Beavis”, guess what? That means that you know who is “Butt-Head right? Yup, it’s Pat “Butt-Head” Williams. Their most recent conversation was overheard discussing the upcoming 2020 election:
Beavis (Kurt): Heh, heh, heh…
Butt-Head (Pat): Uh-huh-huh, uh-huh-huh…
Around the Canton Township Michigan Offices, the so-called Canton Township Clerk Michael A. Siegrist is known as “Shoes”. Many people ask why would anybody be referred to simply as just “Shoes”. The answer is actually quite trivial, almost obvious, mundane in fact:
It seems as Pat “Butt-Head” Williams, the current Canton Township Supervisor, quickly scurries [define] or schleps [define] around the township hall offices, Siegrist is seen following so close behind that if Williams abruptly stops too quickly, all that you see are the “Shoes” sticking out! Thus the moniker [define] “Shoes” was realized and applies to this day, true visual artistry! A couple of Clowns looking for any needy Carnival Sideshow [define] that will have them! Good luck with that! More Canton & Plymouth Follies.
None of could in good conscience vote for “Shoes”, so we all voted for a “write in candidate” that we described on the ballot as “Any PCCS Fifth Grader”!
- Lawsuit against Canton police claims traffic stop, arrests unlawful, April 3, 2020 (html) | Home Town Life.
- Public safety director sues Canton Township Michigan over pension pay (html) | Home Town Life.
- Canton Township Michigan, public safety director part ways after lawsuit (html) | Home Town Life.
- Canton Township Michigan in no hurry to fill vacant public safety director position. Yeah right, there’s no money left! (html) | Home Town Life.
- Lawsuit: Canton complex evicted tenants in addiction recovery program (html) | Home Town Life.
- Judge rules Canton tree ordinance unconstitutional in court case, July 20, 2020 (html) | Home Town Life.
- Canton Township brothers’ businesses are focus of “Trees” lawsuit, June 18, 2019 (html) | Joshi, attorneys + counselors.
- Township’s Tree-Cutting Ban Violates Landowners’ Rights, May 1, 2020 (html) – Michigan Capitol Confidential. Judge calls it an ‘unconstitutional regulatory taking’. The requirement is so onerous that the cost of complying with it could exceed the value of the property itself and is not justified by its alleged contribution to the township’s quality of life.
- $25 million lawsuit filed against Canton Township (html) | Home Town Life. Legal fees for two lawsuits filed against Canton to be paid from police and fire funds. Thank you again Pat Williams!
- Charges Dropped Against 10-Year-Old Playing Dodgeball (html) | Canton, MI Patch. A Canton boy was in legal trouble after a game of dodgeball gone wrong, but his mother said the victim’s medical condition is to blame.
- Police called after campaign staffer videos man taking election signs (html) | Home Town Life. Pat Williams said that several of his campaign’s yard signs placed with permission on private property have been swiped, along with larger, more-expensive six-foot banners. “All I want is for my private property to be returned,” Pat Williams said. “I’m not going to press charges.” “Considering that radical leftists want to destroy America’s history, censor opposing views on social media, and shout down any form of debate, stealing yards signs seems par for the course,” said Whittney Williams. “With half-baked ideas such as defunding the police and the green new deal, it’s no wonder why the left would rather silence their opposition instead of allowing voters to make informed decisions.”
- Union Democrat (radical leftist) Caught Stealing Pat Williams Yard Signs On-Camera (html) – YouTube.
- About Pat “Butt-Head” Williams | Elect Pat Williams for Canton Township, MI Stupidvisor 2016 (html) | WOW! What a historical Mistake!
- Pat “Butt-Head” Williams, Canton Township, MI Stupidvisor – Home | Facebook.
- Elect Pat “Butt-Head” Williams for Canton Township, MI Stupidvisor 2020 NOT! (html).
- Meet several candidates running for Canton Township trustee. Primary Election 2020: Canton Township Board of Trustees democrats, July 27, 2020 (html) | Home Town Life. Primary election 2020: Plymouth Township Trustees republicans, July 28, 2020 (html) | Home Town Life.
- Parent sponsored graduation party at Plymouth Canton campus raises concerns (html) | Fox2 Detroit. “I don’t think we’re ready to go back to school or have a lot of events either” at Plymouth Canton Community Schools (PCCS).
- Slows food truck canceled in Canton due to possible COVID case, July 30, 2020 (html) | Home Town Life.
- Kurt “Hissy Fit” Heise For Plymouth Township, MI Stupidvisor (html). Kurt “Hissy Fit” Heise for Plymouth Township, MI Stupidvisor – Home (html) | Facebook.
- Fostering local Plymouth Michigan Area government collaboration & team work, it appears that Beavis & Butt-Head have friends:
- Kurt “Hissy Fit” Heise Meltdown: Plymouth Township, MI Stupidvisor tells Citizens to “STOP using Facebook” (html) – YouTube 525 views.
- Plymouth Michigan mayor, manager apologize after accused of lying to DDA board (html) | HomeTown Life.
- Incorrect statements prompt apology from Plymouth Michigan city manager, mayor (html) – Plymouth Voice.
- Time’s up Mr. City Manager (html) – Plymouth Voice.
- Conzelman And Starr Are A Bad Fit for Plymouth Township, July 18, 2020 (html) | Plymouth, MI Patch. A very interesting thing is happening in the Plymouth Township election for the Board of Trustees. It seems that a group of extremely left leaning people have suddenly decided that they want to take over Plymouth Township government. The Plymouth Township Clerk decided that the comments of township taxpayers shouldn’t be reflected in the minutes of the Board of Trustees meetings. Canton Township Clerk Michael Seigrist does the exact same thing. We are all believers in transparency, so let’s be transparent. See Canton Township Refuses (Williams & Seigrist) to Publish “Public Comment” Regarding Lead Poisoning Info (html).
Stay tuned for more on the Adventures of Beavis & Butthead as they Do Plymouth-Canton Community & Schools . . .
Take Action to Protect PCCS Schools & Canton Plymouth Community from Lead Poisoning from State Owned Hobby, Sport, Recreational 1d2 Canton Plymouth Mettetal Airstrip
The only way to protect the community from lead poisoning from 100LL leaded aviation fuel is to demand the shutdown of:
Hobby, Sport, Recreational only
Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip
8550 NORTH LILLEY RD
CANTON, MI 48187
The community must make as many calls, send as many emails as you can, to as many recipients on the Contacts page as possible to demand closure of the State of Michigan Owned Hobby, Sport, Recreational Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip only then will our Elected Officials and State of Michigan departments react!
While financial considerations are secondary to protecting Health, Safety, & Welfare of vulnerable populations, there is a also mandatory requirement to reorganize MDOT to remove the stranglehold of the MDOT bureaucracy on infrastructure essential to the Future of Michigan and place control back in the hands of Taxpayers and their elected officials!
The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Bureaucracy, as with all public servants, must abide by the highest standards of the State of Michigan (SoM) set forth by Governor Whitmer [PressRelease] [html] [pdf] [Ethics] and be held accountable for knowingly remaining silent (acquiesce) while contributing to the sum of Community Health, Safety, & Welfare negligence & malpractice, financial waste, misuse of taxpayer funds and the consequences of public funding abuse (html)!
See Lead Poisoning page for more detailed supporting information.
See UPDATE: April May – PCCS Schools Still Being Covered with 1d2 Lead Dust for additional supporting information.
Lead Poisoning of Canton Plymouth Community Continues Unabated!
It’s time to take back our community! All across the country people are realizing that old airstrips like 1d2 Canton-Plymouth Mettetal that start out in a rural area and are now embedded in densely populated neighborhoods are a thing of the past. The eventual closure of 1d2 is just a matter of time based on many factors affecting the community.
1d2 Canton-Plymouth Mettetal is a serious community health concern as a major source of highly toxic lead pollution, is unsafe and very dangerous, a hostile, unfriendly environment to anyone outside of the 1d2 clique, was never required or needed, is still not and never has been economically viable, is a huge tax burden, and is a real, concrete deterrent to education, business, and technology progress & development locally.
1d2 is a complete duplication of three very close, much better equipped, and more appropriate airport/runway facilities. 1d2 is a complete frivolous waste of taxpayers hard earned time and money! 1d2 has been a focal point of continual dissension since the ’70s. Now is the time to take action and #DT1D2A “Drain the 1d2 Airstrip” and as a community come to our senses and finally close 1D2 once and for all!
1d2 is strictly a personal hobby, recreational, sport venue airstrip, there are no other jobs other than third party management company jobs minimally cleaning the 1d2 facilities, lawn cutting, and snow plowing. There is no economically viable business that is dependent on this location. 1d2 has no local relevance, has no regional relevance, and has never been considered critical infrastructure to anyone except MDOT employees.
1d2 is a 25 year old State of Michigan owned dilapidated, worn out, failed experiment on “taxpayer life support” and taxpayers are sick and tired of paying for the convenience of several dozen hangar renters, and a couple minor business concerns headquartered in other communities taking advantage of taxpayers via State and Federal handouts. There is NO tangible or demonstrable reason to the majority (99.97%) of the taxpayers in local communities, surrounding counties, or of the entire State of Michigan, that they can see to pay for 1d2 to be there at all!
There are 22 airports within 50 miles of 1d2 that receive 51.4% of the total MDOT/FAA NPIAS 2017-2021 budget for the entire State of Michigan. This amounts to $365,600,480.00 out of $714,881,838.00. With rapidly decreasing personal pilot/aircraft numbers and shrinking demographics, the surrounding 22 airports can easily absorb any and all activities from 1d2.
Not surprisingly, 1D2 is operated by a third party management company that does NOT appear to be beholden, accountable, or controllable by the State of Michigan, MDOT, or the FAA.
But, firstly, the major challenge is to help the most vulnerable and defenseless, our children. We need to protect & defend them from the devastating effects and impact from continuous toxic lead poisoning right here in our own backyard at 1d2. This is described in detail in the section on lead poisoning via piston engine aircraft using 100LL leaded gasoline at 1d2. BTW this includes piston engine helicopters, which are without question some of the largest toxic lead emitters based on their highly inefficient operation and huge fuel consumption.
Secondly, the additional major goals of this web site to close 1d2 are to:
- Share – knowledge, information, and skills regarding contacts, laws, regulations, processes, procedures, gleaned from the collective experience of everyone of our volunteers, stakeholders, and the community so everyone can be accurately informed, completely up to date, and learn how, where, and who to report 1d2 complaints and problems to. Lets all get on the same page!
- Unite – all stakeholders, including families, neighborhood homeowner associations (HOAs), schools, the ACLU of Michigan, universities, colleges, churches, hospitals, government agencies, businesses, and all interested parties that want to save the larger community from continued 1d2 lead poisoning and prolonged damage.
- Protect & Defend – our children, families, and the community, whether it’s Canton, Plymouth, or the whole tri-county area, including Westland, Northville, Novi, Livonia, and surrounding areas. We are all ONE community in unity against 1d2 lead poisoning!
- Gather – all feedback and pay it forward. Especially from people that have complained repeatedly over the years and have not heard or seen any consistent visible or tangible results or that have been subjected to 1d2 arrogance, hostility, harassment, or discrimination, whether in person, in the skies above our homes, or online. 1d2 complaints have been completely ignored, discarded, never recorded anywhere, and reported to no one so no historical records exist. Everyone we talk to feels that there is a lot of relevant feedback just waiting out there. Up to now nobody could find a suitable responsible party, or more accurately anywhere to report complaints to. Please help or contribute anyway that you can as this effort requires as much community feedback and participation as possible to finish the job at hand!
- Promote – a healthier, safer, community and properly utilize the full 63 acres of property at 1d2 for the mutual benefit of everyone not just commercial and special interests and a privileged few. Let’s use everyone’s time and efforts to convert the 1d2 nightmare into something useful for all to generate high tech jobs, tax revenues, and a new vibrant community “green space” together as a community family and team.
- Donate – please volunteer any time and/or donate resources via Paypal to support a joint community effort to close 1d2 that will make a real impact for our children. While the costs are low, there are still costs nonetheless. All donations over and beyond the actual costs plus a small operating reserve will be provided to Canton Township to support student scholarships, provide assistance for battered and abused women via National Domestic Violence HOTLINE, help service members via the USO, or help fund the Yankee Air Museum (Yes! we are proud as some of our fathers helped build Willow Run!) as the Township Supervisor sees fit. Thank you so much to everyone for the generous donations that have helped thus far, it is greatly appreciated!
keywords and local features impacted by lead poisoning and safety issues at “1d2”: the recognized “airport code” for 1d2 Canton-Plymouth Mettetal airport in Canton Township, Michigan, and Plymouth, Michigan is “1d2” and will used throughout the web site for brevity. PCCS is abbreviation for Plymouth Canton Community Schools. June 18, 2017, annual father’s day pancake breakfast fly-in at 1d2 canton-plymouth mettetal airport, regarding lead poisoning, lead exposure, Tonquish Creek, flying Lessons, Mettetal Airport History, Mettetal Airport Open House, Willow Creek, Shuart Drain, Sheldon Road Wetlands, Huron-Clinton Metroparks, Lower River Rouge Recreational Trail, Morton Taylor Mountain Bike Trail, Lower River Rouge Trailhead, Environmental Toxicity, environmental disaster, Canton Township, Michigan Trail System Overview, airport near canton mi, flying club, airwave, aero, landing at canton-plymouth mettetal (1d2), aviation, 8550 North Lilley Road, Canton Michigan, 48187, Airport & FBO info, parking info, drone no-fly zone, aircraft charter, photos, weather, MDOT, Michigan Department of Transportation, helicopter charter. 26th Annual Canton Township Michigan Liberty Fest at Heritage Park, Thursday June 15 thru Saturday June 17, 2017, behind the Canton Administration Building and the Canton Public Library, just west of Canton Center Road between Cherry Hill and Summit Parkway, 46000 Summit Parkway Canton, MI 48188. Wetlands environmental impact, Father’s Day Pancake Breakfast at Mettetal Airport in Canton, Plymouth – Canton-Plymouth Mettetal Airport fun place to fly, Mettetal airport flying lessons, flight school, flight instruction, Plymouth Canton Mettetal airport. University of Michigan Mcity, American Center for Mobility at Willow Run, focus on autonomous vehicle technology and other high technology companies. Plymouth Michigan art in the park, Old Village Restaurant Crawl, a Taste of Plymouth, Friday Night Music in the Park, historic Plymouth’s main street, Kellogg Park, Kellogg Fountain, city of Plymouth Michigan 150th birthday, 150th anniversary, Plymouth Community Band, Plymouth Downtown Development Authority, Plymouth Historical Museum, Plymouth-based Michigan Philharmonic orchestra, Kiwanis Club, the Plymouth Historical Museum, the Penn Theatre, Penn Theater, Plymouth Recreation & Arts Complex, the Plymouth DDA, the city of Plymouth Michigan, the Plymouth Community Chamber of Commerce, the Plymouth District Library and the Old Village Association, http://www.plymouthmich.org or http://www.downtownplymouth.org, Mayflower condominium, historic Plymouth, Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha. Plymouth 150th Anniversary Celebration with a Fourth of July parade and an ice cream social, annual ice festival, Daisy Air Rifle factory. Michigan’s second largest art fair, Canton “grub crawl”. Plymouth Old Village Restaurant Crawl, Annual Plymouth Fall Festival, Mettetal Airport picnic. The Starkweather Lofts, situated between the city’s historic Old Village area and Hines Park. Plymouth International Ice Sculpture Festival. Plymouth Ice Festival – Plymouth Rocks! – Plymouth Michigan – Presented by the Plymouth Chamber of Commerce – Great things to do in Plymouth Michigan – http://www.plymouthmich.org/Plymouth-Ice-Festival_ET908S34.html. An experimental “flying car” aircraft crashed on Friday during a test run at Willow Run (YIP) Airport, injuring the male pilot and prompting an FAA investigation Friday December 16, 2018. The Experimental Amateur Built (E-AB) N112SD flying car was built at Canton Plymouth Mettetal (1d2) airport, the FAA is investigating further. The experimental flying car unexpectedly goes airborne, and crashes at Willow Run. Somehow, the plane took flight and then crashed. The owner/pilot was the only person on the aircraft. He was taken to the University of Michigan Hospital by paramedics. City of Plymouth Wins 4-Star Rating for Economic Development. Shopping Near Me | You’ll Find it on Ford Rd in Canton MI https://www.shopcanton.org/, Concours d’Elegance 2019 coming to Plymouth Township, Michigan.