UPDATE: Many thanks to the great volunteers and contributors, https://close1d2.org is fully funded & staffed for six full years until December 31, 2024. This is a marathon NOT a sprint!
a successful democracy requires
an informed & educated populace
whose voices are all heard!
A true measure of any group is how they respect the Health, Safety, and Welfare of the most vulnerable populations . . .
April 2020 (Week #14) – Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 Airstrip Still Open for “Business as Usual” – Dumping Lead & EDB on PCCS Schools, Surrounding Communities, and Businesses
Since contacting Local, County, and State officials Monday April 10, 2017 it has been:
- 2 years, 11 months, 23 days
- 35 months, 23 days
- 155 weeks and 3 days
- 1088 days
The new novel coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2 – the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 disease, the coronavirus crisis that’s devastated global markets, overwhelmed hospitals and left millions without jobs, while the entire World is aware, it appears that MDOT didn’t get the memo (html) and continues to fund, operate and support the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous (html) at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip as if nothing has changed. Another nice sunny day, another day off to enjoy themselves at taxpayers Health, Safety, Welfare and Financial & Economic expense.
Michigan Gretchen Governor Whitmer (html) has issued several important Executive orders (html) Declaration of State of Emergency (EO 2020-04) and an Expanded Emergency and Disaster declaration (EO-2020-33) stating that “The economic damage—already severe—will compound with time. On March 19, 2020, economists at the University of Michigan forecasted that as many as 1 in 10 Michiganders could be unemployed by the fall and that economic sectors that feature substantial social interaction could contract by as much as 50%. As a result, many families in Michigan will struggle to pay their bills or even put food on the table.”
- President Donald J. Trump Approved Michigan’s Disaster Declaration (html) | The White House | (html) FEMA Federal Emergency Management Agency
- US weekly jobless claims double to 6.6 million (html)
- A record 6.6 million Americans filed for unemployment last week (html)
- Michigan among top 5 states for confirmed coronavirus cases – mlive.com (html)
- Michigan adds 300 more COVID-19 cases, ranks 9th in world in total cases (html)
In this time of National Health, Economic, and Social Disaster and as recession grips economies around the globe, the State of Michigan appears more vulnerable than other States. Brookings Institute (html) places a COVID-19 recession will likely hit hardest (html) include the State of Michigan which has nine of the top 200 most vulnerable areas, including Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, with one of the top five especially vulnerable sectors of the United States: transportation employment (3,381k, 2.3%).
The bottom line is: under NO circumstances whatsoever, particularly in this extended time of crisis, should Michigan taxpayers be footing the bill for a Non-Essential Hobby, Sport, Recreational airstrip that has already created a Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning Health, Safety and Welfare nightmare.
- Canton Township, MI – Official COVID-19 Resource Center (html)
- State of Michigan – Coronavirus – Coronavirus (html)
- Coronavirus Rumor Control (html) | FEMA Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (html) | (CDC) Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (html) World Health Organization (WHO)
- COVID-19 Map – Johns Hopkins (JHU) Coronavirus Resource Center (html)
check back, more outrageous, unbelievable MDOT non-sense updates to come . . .
Still Open for “Business as Usual.” — Wealthy Cirrus & Helicopter owners, Civil Air Patrol (CAP) and other Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist clubs and groups continue their Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning barrage on the Canton & Plymouth Communities, neighborhoods and PCCS schools thru a very busy Sunday March 1, 2020. Truly arrogant, entitled, vengeful, vindictive evil clowns, and creeps believing they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, to whomever they want.
The 1d2 people that live locally are embarrassed, humiliated and ashamed that friends, neighbors and the surrounding communities know they’re responsible for poisoning everyone with Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead with their hobby, sport, recreational activity. Others that live outside the local communities really do NOT care at all since it’s not in their backyard, on top of their schools, families and children, and their neighborhoods and friends.
It seems this is how these 1d2 people roll [define], embarrassing themselves and other respected & responsible aviation communities across the entire United States.
The State of Michigan continues in providing absolutely NO protection for vulnerable populations from MDOT owned uncontrolled airstrip that cannot be controlled whatsoever.
There is absolutely no sense of urgency, no public comments, and certainly no protection for vulnerable populations whatsoever from any official Michigan source! The MDOT “Tetraethyl Lead is Harmless” campaign & reign of “Tetraethyl Lead is innocent” continues.
Another busy year goes by as the “MDOT Pure Michigan Lead” campaign at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 aisrtrip continues, brought to you by Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) and some of the same cast of evil grinning clowns that helped cover up MDOT Lead Poisoning during the Flint Lead Poisoning Debacle time period!
It’s pretty clear in light of the massive volume of indisputable medical, scientific, and technological evidence that in Michigan “Lead Poisoning is INNOCENT until proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt!” Perhaps we should ask the parents of the PCCS School children with Autism Spectrum Disorder how they feel?
Sadly, the battle over the State of Michigan budget & spending bills do not address Governor Whitmer’s largest single veto and the one directly related to the roads — a proposed $375 million shift in discretionary general funds to the laughable $5 BILLION Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) transportation budget. The proposed MDOT budget contains the single largest waste of taxpayer dollars in the history of Michigan devoted to the hobby, sport, recreational pastime for MDOT employees, friends, family, third party contractors, Special Interests, Industry Lobbyists, Michigan Aeronautics Commission (MAC) and MDOT Administration members (html), many local in Plymouth and Canton!
There is absolutely ZERO visibility to the massive ongoing waste of taxpayer money carefully and skillfully hidden amongst $5 BILLION DOLLARS containing many bureaucratic driven pet projects, including many un-needed State of Michigan MDOT owned hobby, sport, recreational airstrips! A tragic waste of money that could be better invested in education, infrastructure, sustainability and the environment to fix Michigan’s almost irreparably damaged image and reputation on environment and sustainability.
This is a perfect example of the “Tail wagging the dog” [define]. Since the Flint Lead Poisoning Debacle in the not too distant past, NOBODY wants to talk or have ANY open conversation or even acknowledge Lead Poisoning from 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel and continue to Acquiesce to the abundantly obvious and indisputable medical, scientific, and technological evidence while still contributing and blatantly increasing the level of continued Community Health Malpractice and Negligence.
The effects of the phony bloated MDOT budget can be felt stretching from the City of Detroit (Mike Duggan) in Wayne County (Warren Evans), to Dearborn, home of Ford Motor Company (Ford) and lifelong futurist on urban mobility and the environment Executive Chairman Bill Ford (Fontinalis) (Ford), Canton Township (Pat Williams), Plymouth Township (Kurt Heise) (Ford) (Rivian) (Rivian CEO & Founder RJ Scaringe), Ypsilanti (City| Township), and on to Ann Arbor.
Henry Ford Health System Duped by Plymouth Township, Canton Township, & Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT)!
The Henry Ford Health System is a comprehensive, integrated, non-profit health care organization in Metro Detroit. The corporate office is at One Ford Place, Detroit, Michigan 48202, and operates many other locations such as 2799 West Grand Boulevard Detroit, Michigan 48202, Wayne County, Michigan, U.S. and has over 32,000 employees (2019), and includes 6,200 + nurses (2019).
An affiliation with Wayne State University Medical School (html) provides more than 400 medical students that train at the Henry Ford Hospital each academic year. One of the largest Health Systems in Michigan and one of the most highly rated in the county.
Wright L. Lassiter III (html) is the President and CEO of Henry Ford Health System, oversees the $7.5 billion health system comprised of six hospitals, a health plan and a wide range of ambulatory, retail, and related health services consisting of more than 250 locations and 32,000 employees.
Inconceivably Henry Ford Health has plans for a new Health center at former Plymouth Township Kmart at 40855 Ann Arbor Rd, Plymouth, MI 48170, and it’s not clear if senior management including Richard Chip Davis, PhD, EdM, Senior Vice President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Henry Ford Health System South Market and Henry Ford Hospital, and Robert G. Riney, President, Healthcare Operations and Chief Operating Officer (COO) have been presented the real facts and really appreciate the magnitude of what’s going on? Whom would build a Medical facility practically right on top of a significant source of Lead Poisoning to children? What doctors and nurses would want to work there? And would anyone in the surrounding communities actually want to go there to get healthy? It would be great to hear the President and CEO Wright L. Lassiter III’s opinion!
BTW: This is common knowledge and is well known in the aviation industry for almost a decade, and is well known by elected Michigan officials and MDOT bureaucrats, past and present, from the time of the Flint Lead Poisoning Debacle!
The MDOT Health, Safety, and Welfare threats also affect and influence other critical & important local businesses such as Art Van, Bosch, IKEA, Rivian, Webasto, Yazaki, and the list goes on . . .
University of Michigan Health System, Beaumont Health System, Trinity Health and All Other Michigan Health Systems Should be Notified of Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Lead Coverup!
The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) continues to ignore, obscure, hide, and lie about the Effects of Leaded Aviation Fuel on Blood Lead Levels (BLLs) of Over 1 Million Children in Michigan (html), all while Plymouth-Canton Community Schools (PCCS) show a 47% increase in the number of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) students (html). MDOT actively implies, states, and maintains that there are safe levels of Lead!
The State of Michigan Constitution provides obligations to protect & warn taxpayers about the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Lead Coverup and related Health, Safety and Welfare effects including property damage. Shamefully Michigan Lawmakers and Departments, MDOT bureaucrats, County, and especially Local Plymouth Township and Canton Township Officials have done absolutely nothing to warn anyone at all.
Who can citizens and specifically our vulnerable populations count on for protection from Lead? The medical, scientific, and technological evidence is overwhelming and crystal clear. Lead is NOT acceptable for anyone at any level!
Health Systems across the State of Michigan should be alerted regarding any potential Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) related Lead exposure and poisoning to be on the lookout for Lead poisoning symptoms in children that they might not otherwise look for, suspect, recognize, or test for.
Four Prominent Michigan Health Systems:
- University of Michigan Health System – Michigan Medicine – Excellence in Patient Care, Medical Education and Research. Michigan Medicine continues to deliver the Michigan Difference through cutting-edge research and premier patient care. According to U.S. News and World Report, we’re among the best in the nation in a broad range of adult and pediatric specialties. We’ve earned national recognition from other hospital-quality organizations, too.
- University of Michigan | Michigan Medicine 1500 E Medical Center Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 (html)
- Michigan Medicine | University of Michigan 7300 Medical Science Building I — A Wing, 1301 Catherine St. Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5624 (html)
- University of Michigan | CS Mott Children’s Hospital | Michigan Medicine 1540 E Hospital Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 (html)
- Canton Health Center | Michigan Medicine 1051 N. Canton Center Rd. Canton, MI 48187 (html)
- Adult Medicine and Pediatrics Clinic at Canton Health Center | Michigan Medicine 1051 N. Canton Center Rd. Canton, MI 48187 (html)
- General Medicine at Canton Health Center 1051 N. Canton Center Rd. Canton, MI 48187 | Michigan Medicine (html)
- MLabs (Blood Draw Station) at Canton Health Center 1051 N. Canton Center Rd. Canton, MI 48187 | Michigan Medicine (html)
- Beaumont Health System – Beaumont Health is Michigan’s largest health care system (based on inpatient admissions and net patient revenue) and provides patients with compassionate, extraordinary care, no matter where they live. With eight hospitals, 145 outpatient locations, nearly 5,000 physicians and more than 38,000 employees, Beaumont’s commitment to patient and family-centered care contributes to the health and well-being of residents throughout the community and beyond.
- Beaumont Health | Determination Lives Here 44201 Dequindre Rd, Troy, MI 48085 (html)
- Beaumont Professional & Medical Education, Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine 586 Pioneer Dr, Rochester, MI 48309 (html)
- Beaumont Medical Center – Canton | Beaumont Health 7300 N. Canton Center Rd. Canton, MI 48187 (html)
- Beaumont Imaging Center – Canton | Beaumont Health 2050 N. Haggerty Rd., Suite 180, Canton, MI 48187 (html)
- Henry Ford Health System – Henry Ford Health System is committed to improving the health and well-being of our diverse Michigan community and is comprised of hospitals, medical centers and one of the nation’s largest group practices, the Henry Ford Medical Group, which includes more than 1,200 physicians practicing in over 40 specialties. The System’s flagship, Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, is a Level 1 Trauma Center recognized for clinical excellence in cardiology, cardiovascular surgery, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics, sports medicine, multi-organ transplants and cancer treatment. With more than 30,000 employees, Henry Ford Health System is the fifth-largest employer in metro Detroit, and among the most diverse.
- Henry Ford Health System | Henry Ford Health System – Detroit, MI One Ford Place, Detroit, Michigan (html)
- Henry Ford Medical Center – Canton | Henry Ford Health System – Detroit, MI 6100 N Haggerty Rd, Canton,MI 48187 (html)
- Henry Ford Medical Center – Plymouth | Henry Ford Health System – Detroit, MI 14300 N Beck Rd, Plymouth,MI 48170 (html)
- HAP | Affordable Michigan Health Insurance | Michigan Health Insurance | HAP 2850 W. Grand Blvd. Detroit, MI 48202 (html)
- Trinity Health – Livonia, Michigan (MI) – Trinity Health (html) • 20555 Victor Parkway, Livonia, Michigan 48152 – Trinity Health is one of the largest multi-institutional Catholic health care delivery systems in the nation, serving diverse communities that include more than 30 million people across 22 states. Trinity Health includes 92 hospitals, as well as 106 continuing care locations that include PACE programs, senior living facilities, and home care and hospice services. Its continuing care programs provide nearly 2 million visits annually, with annual operating revenues of $19.3 billion and assets of $27 billion, the organization returns $1.2 billion to its communities annually in the form of charity care and other community benefit programs. Trinity Health employs about 129,000 colleagues, including 7,500 employed physicians and clinicians.
- Saint Joseph Mercy Health System (html), A member of Trinity Health – Saint Joseph Mercy Health System is a health care organization serving seven counties in southeast Michigan including Livingston, Washtenaw, Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Jackson, and Lenawee. It includes 537-bed St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor, 443-bed St. Joseph Mercy Oakland in Pontiac, 304-bed St. Mary Mercy Livonia, 136-bed St. Joseph Mercy Livingston in Howell, and 133-bed St. Joseph Mercy Chelsea. Combined, the five hospitals are licensed for 1,553 beds, have five outpatient health centers, six urgent care facilities, more than 25 specialty centers; employ more than 15,300 individuals and have a medical staff of nearly 2,700 physicians. St. Joe’s has annual operating revenues of about $2 billion and returns about $115 million to its communities annually through charity care and community benefit programs.
- St Joseph Mercy Health Center Canton (html), 1600 S Canton Center Rd, Canton, MI 48188
Aggressive MDOT Airstrip Expansion Equals Plymouth Canton Community School System (PCCS) Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Double-Digit Increase
The dramatic double-digit increase of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) enrolled in PCCS Schools (html) Directly Corresponds with aggressive expansion at Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) owned Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip since 2010.
Out of control and costly to taxpayer expansion secretly, stealthily and almost unnoticed by the community doubled hangar foot print, which more than doubled aircraft including several twin engine aircraft that don’t belong there, several owners with multiple aircraft, many additional helicopters, which more than doubled yearly operations (take offs/landings), coupled with MDOT promoted and advertised Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist events including fly-in Boondoggles, Picnics & Pancake Breakfast Carnivals with expanded parking, free aircraft & helicopter rides, Swivel Chair (Swivel Chair Patrol) oops I mean Civil Air Patrol (CAP) meetings, events, outings, airplane and helicopter training classes still conducted in January 2020, etc.
The many busy MDOT sponsored activities include supporting a full-blown Industrial Helicopter Maintenance, Repair, Overhaul (MRO) Service, Private Executive Heliport, Helicopter Sales/Demo Office MI79. Airstrips, and especially Industrial Helicopter MROs have never been allowed embedded in any densely populated neighborhood anywhere else in the United States, except with MDOT sponsorship, approval and protection! It’s all MDOT friends, family, third party contractors, Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists, one big happy incestuous family!
Lest we forget, we’re all surrounded by tragic reminders of the constant dangers of Helicopter (html) (html) and Airplane (html) (html) Crashes in densely populated neighborhoods extremely close to schools:
- Vanessa Bryant sues helicopter operator in Kobe Bryant crash – Los Angeles Times (html)
- Bryant’s widow ‘devastated’ by report deputies shared photos – ABC News (html)
- Kobe Bryant helicopter lacked recommended safety device – The San Diego Union-Tribune (html)
- FAA overruled safety system that ‘could have helped’ in Kobe Bryant helicopter crash | NBC News (html)
- Bodies of all 9 victims recovered from helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant, coroner says – ABC News (html)
- Kobe Bryant, Wife ‘Would Never Fly on Helicopter Together‘: Source | PEOPLE.com (html)
- Air Show Crashes (html) (html)
- World War II aircraft & bomber crashes (html) (html) (html) (html)
All of this MDOT sponsored activity embedded in densely populated neighborhoods extremely close to 3 local schools with thousands of children, with many more schools in the local vicinity with the singular goal to increase State & FAA funding on behalf of local cronies. Truly sad behavior from a once proud Michigan department and the so-called Michigan Aeronautics Commission (MAC), another complete joke! Is this the price taxpayers pay for phony MDOT progress, expansion & growth with astonishing and seemingly fraudulent budgets & fictional ROI?
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) – Reproducible Biomarker: Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead in Canton Township and Plymouth Township Neighborhoods, Schools and PCCS Students
Who poisoned Flint? No one held accountable after 4 years – mlive.com (html). Many understand what happened is shocking & criminal, but you have to make sure it’s the right people that are punished for this mess. However, equally important is testimony that revealed key facts regarding Lead Poisoning that should be very concerning to every Canton Township, Plymouth Township and Michigan parent.
A spokeswoman for Michigan Solicitor General Hammoud who declined to comment on the status of the solicitor general’s current investigation, mentioned that Hammoud herself said during the Shekter-Smith plea review that what happened in Flint was a crime.
“This court heard the testimony regarding lead and the impacts of lead poisoning, which can devastate health throughout a lifetime and may even alter DNA to affect future generations,” she said. “That’s what this crime is about.”
It seems that “Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead” is a reproducible, repeatable, demonstrable biomarker [define], e.g. a measurable substance in an organism whose presence is indicative of some phenomenon such as disease, infection, or environmental exposure that is present in Canton Township and Plymouth Township Neighborhoods, Schools and PCCS Students. Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead has manifested itself and is repeating as shown in student enrollments in PCCS since 2010 in parallel with Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip expansion doubling since 2010.
Plymouth Canton Community Schools (PCCS) students and families right to “bodily integrity” has been and is still being violated under the U.S. Constitution.
A serious concern echoed by Dr. Doug Ruden, Wayne State University (html) (html) (html) (GoogleScholar) (LinkedIn), who leads a team of scientists who test blood samples to study the way lead impacts people. His team found that babies are impacted by moms who were exposed to lead. “The way you think about it is: if a mother is pregnant with a baby, she’s also carrying the baby’s children too” Ruden says.“It’s like Russian nesting dolls.”
When Dr. Ruden was asked if he could send one message to Detroiters based on what you know about Lead, what would you say? “All kids under the age of 6 should be tested for Lead.” High Lead levels may not show symptoms for awhile, but once you know lead is a problem, you can take steps to address it.
- See Lead Safe Home: Fact Sheet (pdf)
- In partnership with:
- Sponsored by:
- While Many Communities Openly Fight MDOT and Other Michigan Polluters
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Guidelines Have Changed
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has new guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of autism for the first time in 12 years. The changes are based on the latest research for early identification. AAP: Autism Treatment Should Be Early, Intense, and Family-Driven.
AAP also recommends ongoing surveillance, performed by pediatricians and primary care providers, through school age.
Dr. Susan Hyman, MD, of the University of Rochester in New York stated “One of the reasons we’re so strongly recommending screening is, it’s a structured way to listen to parents and their concerns.” She went on to say “In the absence of a Reproducible Biomarker that will let us know who is at risk for autism in infancy, the clinical diagnosis requires that human interaction that pediatricians have 13 times in the first three years of life in the context of well-child care.”
However, continuous local Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) increases show that a Reproducible, Repeatable, Demonstrable Biomarker is present: Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead in Canton Township and Plymouth Township Neighborhoods, Schools and PCCS Students. The State of Michigan should focus on eliminating Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning caused by Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip!
Here is American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) 2020 updated recommendations report:
- Full Report: Identification, Evaluation, and Management of Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder (html) (pdf)| American Academy of Pediatrics. Susan L. Hyman, Susan E. Levy, Scott M. Myers and Council on Children With Disabilities, Section on Developmental And Behavioral Pediatrics, Pediatrics January 2020, 145 (1) e20193447; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2019-3447
- Executive Summary: Identification, Evaluation, and Management of Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder (html) (pdf) | American Academy of Pediatrics
Here is the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) previous 2015 recommendations report:
- Early Identification and Interventions for Autism Spectrum Disorder: Executive Summary (html) (pdf), PEDIATRICS Volume 136, Supplement 1, October 2015| American Academy of Pediatrics, PediatricsOctober 2015, 136 (Supplement 1) S1-S9; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2014-3667B
- Early Identification and Interventions for Autism Spectrum Disorder: Executive Summary (html) – PubMed – NCBI
- 2017 IACC Strategic Plan for Autism Spectrum Disorder Research (html) (pdf) | IACC. Answers Essential Eight Questions for Parents.
- International Portfolio Analysis 2016 (html) (pdf) (News Release) | IACC
- Report to Congress – on Activities Related to Autism Spectrum Disorder and Other Developmental Disabilities (html) (pdf) Thursday, April 11, 2019 | IACC
- DRAFT Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee (IACC). IACC Strategic Plan for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) — 2018 Update (pdf). [MONTH] 2019. Retrieved from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee website
Essential Autism Resources
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) – Autism Initiatives (html)
- University of Michigan U-M (UMich) & Michigan Health System (html)
- Finding approved autism evaluation centers and licensed behavior analysts (pdf), Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) and Blue Care Network of Michigan (html), For Blue Cross PPO (commercial) and BCN HMOSM (commercial) members Revised January 2020
- Autism spectrum (html) – Wikipedia
- US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) (html) | Autism | National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities (NCBDDD) | CDC
- Recommendations & Guidelines (html) | Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Community Report on Autism 2018 (html) (pdf)| Autism | National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities (NCBDDD) | CDC
- Autism Spectrum Disorder: What Every Parent Needs to Know (html): 9781610022699: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.com
- National Autism Association (NAA) | Providing real help and hope for the autism community since 2003.
- What is Autism? (html) | American Autism Association (MyAutism)
- State of Michigan (SoM)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (html) – Michigan Alliance for Families (html)
- Autism Alliance of Michigan (html). Navigating Autism Today!
- Autism Society of Michigan (html)
- Michigan Autism Conference (html), 8th Annual Michigan Autism Conference, October 8-9, 2020
Other Important Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Studies
- More Guidelines than states: variations in U.S. lead screening and management guidance and impacts on shareable CDS development (html) (pdf)| BMC Public Health | Full Text | 29 January 2020 – Pediatric lead exposure in the United States (U.S.) remains a preventable public health crisis. Shareable electronic clinical decision support (CDS) could improve lead screening and management. However, discrepancies between federal, state and local recommendations could present significant challenges for implementation. Current variability across guidance poses challenges for clinicians.
- Early Autism Screening: A Comprehensive Review (html) (pdf), 2019 Sep; 16(18): 3502. Published online 2019 Sep 19. doi: 3390/ijerph16183502 (html) (pdf)
- Promoting early autism detection and intervention in underserved communities: study protocol for a pragmatic trial using a stepped-wedge design (html) (pdf), BMC Psychiatry. 2019; 19: 169. Published online 2019 Jun 7. doi: 1186/s12888-019-2150-3
- Life After Lead: Effects of Early Interventions for Children Exposed to Lead
- Life After Lead: Effects of Early Interventions for Children Exposed to Lead (html) (pdf) | IZA – Institute of Labor Economics. July 2017, Stephen B. Billings Kevin T. Schnepel, IZA DP No. 10872
- Life After Lead: Effects of Early Interventions for Children Exposed to Lead (html) | Leeds School of Business (html) | University of Colorado Boulder (html)
- Life after Lead: Effects of Early Interventions for Children Exposed to Lead (html) (pdf) – American Economic Association (AEA)
- Life After Lead: Effects of Early Interventions for Children Exposed to Lead (html) (pdf) | Semantic Scholar
- Optimizing Outcome in Autism Spectrum Disorders – Deborah Fein, Marianne Barton, Thyde Dumont-Mathieu, 2017, (html) (pdf), Policy Insights from the Behavioral and Brain Sciences 2017, Vol. 4(1) 71–78, © The Author(s) 2017, DOI: 10.1177/2372732216685098 https://journals.sagepub.com/home/bbs
- Identification and Evaluation of Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders (html) (pdf) | American Academy of Pediatrics, Chris Plauché Johnson, Scott M. Myers and ; and the Council on Children With Disabilities, Pediatrics, November 2007, 120 (5) 1183-1215; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2007-2361
Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) – Officials Covering Up Lead Poisoning NOT Immune, and Are Accountable!
The Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) – Officials covering up Lead Poisoning are NOT immune and can and should be held accountable!
The SCOTUS Justices turned away two appeals by City, State and Local officials of a lower court ruling that allowed lawsuits to move forward. The lower court rejected a demand for immunity by the officials, finding that they violated the residents’ right to “bodily integrity” [define] under the U.S. Constitution.
The cases center on the Constitution’s 14th Amendment guarantee of due process under the law, which can protect people from government-induced harm to their personal security or health, a legal principle known as “bodily integrity.” However, calling the water crisis a “government-created environmental disaster” in a 2019 ruling, the 6th Circuit green-lighted the constitutional claims and rejected immunity for the officials. SCOTUS confirmed.
The lawsuit claims the officials failed to protect residents from a foreseeable risk of harm from exposure to Lead. Everyone except MDOT seems to know that Lead really is poison, really it is. The lawsuit and others like it claim that the public has a constitutional right to “bodily integrity” that was duly violated.
- Supreme Court won’t take case prompted by Flint water crisis – Detroit News (html), January 21, 2020
- Supreme Court won’t take case stemming from Flint water crisis – Detroit Free Press (html), January 21, 2020
- Supreme Court won’t hear case related to Flint water crisis – mlive.com (html), Jan 21, 2020
- Supreme Court lets Flint, Michigan residents sue over water contamination – Reuters (html), January 21, 2020
- Supreme Court allows lawsuit against Flint city officials to advance | The Hill (html), 01/21/20
- Attorney says Supreme Court decision on Flint water brings federal trial closer to reality – mlive.com (html), Jan 21, 2020
- Supreme Court Allows Flint Water Lawsuits To Move Forward, Officials Not ‘Immune’ : NPR (html), January 21, 2020
Relevant SCOTUS and Sixth Circuit Court Lead Poisoning Legal Documents
- SCOTUS Petition (pdf) Questions Presented:
- Whether the 14th Amendment’s constitutional right to “bodily integrity” extends to encapsulate a right to be protected by state regulators from a foreseeable risk of harm from exposure to contaminants in public drinking water, or to be free from allegedly false statements by an agency spokesperson.
- If so, whether such a bodily-integrity right was clearly established at the time the defendant officials were fulfilling their official duties.
- Whether mere alleged mistakes and regulatory inaction by state regulators, or allegedly false statements by an agency spokesperson, are sufficiently “conscience shocking” to strip a government official of qualified immunity.
- SCOTUS Motion for Stay docket to review Sixth Circuit Court Decision, Dated: June 7, 2019 (pdf)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit (html) Appeal from the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan at Ann Arbor. No. 5:16-cv-12412—Judith E. Levy, District Judge. Argued: June 6, 2018, Decided and Filed: January 4, 2019 (pdf)
- Bodily Integrity 14th Amendment Claim Allowed by 6th Circuit Court (html) Friday, March 8, 2019 | The National Law Review (html)
- Environmental Injustice/Racism in Flint, Michigan: An Analysis of the Bodily Integrity Claim in Mays v. Snyder as Compared to Other Environmental Justice Cases (pdf) Pace Environmental Law Review (html), Volume 35, Issue 1 Fall 2017, September 2017, Article 3
Approximately 25,000 people have sued over the Flint Lead Poisoning Crisis, in which a change in the source of the city’s water resulted in lead contamination. The lawsuit and others ‘like it’ are expected to go forward in lower courts. In principle Lead Poisoning from 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel is basically the same, the contaminants are not in water but in soil & air, and it’s some of the same evil clowns doing the same thing all over again. One major difference is that Officials have known of Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Lead Poisoning for almost a full decade!
MDOT Negligence, Malpractice & Sad Pathetic Recycled Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist Excuses
MDOT Nefarious Actions, Dastardly & Repugnant Deeds:
- MDOT Secretly Doubled 1d2 Airstrip activity
- MDOT hid study of 1,000,000 (1M) Michigan Child BLLs linking Lead to Airports
- Double-Digit ASD/ADHD Increase at PCCS Schools
- MDOT response: “based on soil-lead concentrations observed, there does not appear to be a health risk to site workers or the public under the current site use conditions.”
A patently false bold-faced lie! MDOT is just a mouthpiece for Special Interests and Industry Lobbyists that much is clear. MDOT regurgitates the same old tired worn out, ‘nobody really believes this crap anyway’ Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist boilerplate mumbo-jumbo garbage. These MDOT clowns really think the public is stupid, and that vulnerable populations have no intrinsic value.
BTW: there are so many things wrong here, for starters MDOT Lead testing (if you can even call it that) was done in the completely wrong part of the year with very limited ops. Michigan just had the wettest water year in 119 years of records (html). Anyone could see samples taken in standing water, anyone within .5 km could see that MDOT hired teams armed with highly advanced precision fence post augers mounted on the back of old model rusty pickup trucks that were literally dripping mud & water! Just ask the third-party service that performed the MDOT’s highly technical sounding field work. This was not high-end certified laboratory work with people in white lab coats like in the movies, quite an amateur operation at best.
Additionally, Lead testing is NEVER a single isolated event by any stretch of the imagination as MDOT would have you believe! Besides MDOT has zero Lead testing history at this site, or in the local vicinity ever! In fact, MDOT does not track Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning at ANY airport in Michigan whatsoever! There is no public history or logs to show any MDOT sustainable activity regarding Lead Poisoning inventories performed or Lead evaluations anywhere in the entire State of Michigan period.
However, there is a very long and rich future schedule and documented history of MDOT sponsored & advertised Fly-in activities including picnics, parties, barbecues and other useless boondoggles. This includes more never-ending meaningless and totally bogus MAC meetings to wax philosophic about Non-existent Pilot Shortages and how it affects the overall aviation hobby, sport, recreation outlook with Special Interests, Industry Lobbyists and MDOT’s own MAC ‘Living Legends’ all while arguing about the next gourmet menu for future Fly-in Picnics & MAC coffee klatsch’s to celebrate their own highly touted but imagined and totally fictional contributions to the corpus of Aviation, Aerospace & Defense knowledge & industry market outlook in such places as Traverse City, truly pathetic!
This (typical Lead Poisoning coverup verbiage) is common knowledge and is well known in the aviation industry for almost a decade, literally nobody in the industry believes any of it for a second! What else is perfectly clear:
- MDOT does not have medical, scientific, or technological qualifications to render such a public opinion, misleading, fraudulent, would be met with a cease & desist order in the real world, people would be fired immediately for implying and defending Lead is safe in any form/quantity/concentration.
- MDOT does not provide data, evidence, or proof that Lead is NOT a health risk under ANY conditions or even stated conditions using descriptions specifically by Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists. Of course, these descriptions are worded by very skillful wordsmiths.
- MDOT opinion is diametrically opposed to a voluminous amount of contradictory medical, scientific, and technological data, testing, measurements, substantial evidence and proof from many expert SME sources worldwide that Lead IS a known health risk at any concentration level or amount. Clearly PCCS kids have been sickened and damaged
- MDOT clearly has multiple conflicts of interest
It appears that the Flint Lead Poisoning Debacle is just warming up! These same MDOT clowns and anyone that is complicit, colluded or conspired with MDOT will be held accountable for double digit increase of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) at PCCS Schools! There is absolutely no excuse for a totally preventable disaster like this.
MDOT is Clearly Responsible, but Whom Else is Accountable as ‘Officials’?
The SCOTUS response to an appeal filed on behalf of City, State and Local officials and basically stated that anyone acting in an official capacity, an agency spokesperson [define], an agent [define] or representative cannot claim immunity to violating the PCCS students “bodily integrity”.
The term ‘official capacity’ could be construed to include those that provide MDOT Subject Matter Expert (SME) consulting, testing services, providing data, measurements, public statements or endorsements (implied or otherwise), verification or validation of safety, authenticity, operate or conduct business on behalf of MDOT, e.g. third-party contractor with titles such as Airport Manager (Mgrs), Assistant (Asst) Managers listed on official MDOT document ‘Airport Manager and Fixed Base Operators (FBO)’ list showing contact names and numbers in the Michigan Airport Directory (pdf) or Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 documents current (pdf) previous (pdf).
NOTE: phony non-State of Michigan Mettetal email address used to fool, confound and mislead the public for the last 20 years! The mettetalairport.com domain was originally owned by a Special Interest / Industry Lobbyist, MDOT never clarified when it was official and when it was transferred, the link to MDOT was added later when they were caught in the act, go figure! Additionally http://mettetal.com/ resolves to Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist (html), how convenient, sneaky and deceptive! MDOT has been aware and taken advantage of both of these overlooked little details meant to fool the public all along. MDOT has never clarified these details to this day.
Given that, the list of people and groups responsible for violating PCCS students “bodily integrity” gets really interesting, and could include past & present officials, elected or otherwise:
- State of Michigan Elected Officials: Governor, Lt. Governor, MIAG, Senator (Canton pilot & aerospace engineer), Representative (Canton)
- Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT)
- Michigan Aeronautics Commission (MAC) (Plymouth)
- Michigan Department of Transportation Administration (html) (Canton)
- Agents or spokespersons, e.g. third-party contractors hired by MDOT to operate a State of Michigan owned airstrip on behalf of MDOT, and could include specific members of local flying clubs (html) (html) (html) and/or Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists (html) (html) (html) (html) working as Assistant Managers listed on official MDOT contact information. Cell phone bills & other expenses submitted to MDOT via third-party contractor blanket contract, favors, labor & materials for special events, common keys and access to any equipment & tools including high-end front-end loader, tractors, trucks, etc. not available to the public will show direct MDOT connections and influence
- Michigan Department of Health & Human Services (MDHHS)
- Wayne County Airport Authority (WCAA) including Detroit Metro Airport (DTW) and Willow Run Airport (YIP) officials
- Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes & Energy (EGLE) previously called the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ)
- Michigan State Police (MSP) (html) – after hours and weekend drop offs and pickups at private heliport, appeared to be MDOT or other State of Michigan employees, Michigan Aeronautics Commission (MAC), confidential logs will show details
- Industrial Helicopter Maintenance, Repair, Overhaul (MRO) Service, Private Executive Heliport, Helicopter Sales/Demo Office performing MDOT (FAA) licensed, regulated or controlled work or activities, for favors, preferential treatment, off hours and special access provided to MDOT, Michigan Aeronautics Commission (MAC), or other State of Michigan employees, e.g. Michigan State Police (MSP), not available to the general public.
- Civil Air Patrol (CAP) (Swivel Chair Patrol) – local bullies, community morons & smart alecks [define], and military wannabes [define] special treatment, favors, etc.
- Wayne County employees and Commissioner (Plymouth)
- Canton Township Officials
- Plymouth Township Officials
- Basically, any person, organization, commercial entity, business concern, or operation that traded favors, received preferential treatment, incentives of any kind, etc. to increase growth, utilization, or colluded with MDOT at any airstrip to coverup Lead Poisoning, or violated PCCS students “bodily integrity”. Looks, feels, and sounds like a First Class Class Action suit [define] to many people
Again, must keep in mind, Lead Poisoning from Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel is well known by many people and organizations listed above, and is considered common knowledge and is well known in the aerospace & aviation industry for over a decade!
Almost all of the above have multiple conflicts of interest with literally zero incentive to eliminated Lead Poisoning from Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel whatsoever.
The four key questions going forward will be:
- Who is considered an Official?
- What did Officials know?
- When did Officials know it?
- What did Officials do?
None of them can claim ignorance, kids are damaged and sick and continue to be damaged and sickened due to their actions or inaction of some of the people listed above, and NONE of these people are IMMUNE to criminal prosecution or civil litigation!
How Do We Stop MDOT’s Leaded 100LL Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning Epidemic Against our Neighborhoods, Families, and Children!
When will people stop playing with the Health, Safety, and Welfare of our communities, neighborhoods, families and especially our children?
MDOT: let’s just keep doing what we’re doing, there is no proof that it’s us, so we’re ok!
MDOT: just stands back and keeps repeating “Where’s the proof?”, simply parroting Special Interests and Industry Lobbyists.
A true textbook example of negligence, malpractice, and abuse of power all the way from the ‘Living Legends’ at the top of the Michigan Aeronautics Commission (MAC) food chain, to the many bottom feeders, and petty bureaucratic MDOT administrators (html) protecting their turf and defending existing phony budgets & ROI squawking as quickly as they can spending money on anything before budgets expire and evaporate.
Perhaps the next logical step is to find someone that can stand up to MDOT, Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists to protect children. Vulnerable populations could use the help of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), the ACLU of Michigan (html) (html) is needed now more than ever! Or perhaps a Global Law firm that specializes in fighting Poisoning and Chemical Contamination Bullies like MDOT with backing from employees with Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists connections & multiple conflicts of interest.
That help could come in the form of a Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Class Action Suit on behalf of PCCS Students? Vulnerable populations could really benefit from help with Environmental Counseling & Litigation (html) from a global law firm with the reach, influence and clout needed to take on MDOT and their Special Interests & Industry Lobbyist bully pals.
PFAS Update 2019: Emerging Contaminants – What’s New, and What’s Next? (pdf), April 24, 2019, by Stephanie R. Feingold (html) and Drew Cleary Jordan (html), © 2018 Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP – global law firm (html). This report shows Modern Theories of Liability Being Pursued to include:
- Violation of “bodily integrity”
- Public Nuisance and Private Nuisance
- Negligence & Malpractice
- Abnormally Dangerous/Ultra Hazardous Activities
- Failure to Warn
- Design Defect
- Declaratory Judgment Actions (for, e.g., indemnity, remediation, studies)
- On the horizon? – Fraud
- State Statutory Consumer Protection Statutes & Other State Codified Analogs of Common Law Claims – Conspiracy
- Infliction of Emotional Distress
- Claims for both Property Damage and Personal Injury/Medical Monitoring
- Aiding and abetting [define] – generally allows a court to pronounce someone guilty for aiding and abetting in a crime even if they are not the principal offender, perpetrator, or defendant.
The most likely high-level defendants in a class action lawsuit on behalf of PCCS Students whose “bodily integrity” was violated resulting in Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) would be:
- Elected officials: State, Wayne County, Canton Township, Plymouth Township (the usual suspects so far)
- Michigan Aeronautics Commission (MAC) (Plymouth)
- Top MDOT Administrators (Lansing, Canton Township)
- Third Party Contractor hired by MDOT as 1d2 Manager and their sub-contracted Assistant Managers
- Industrial Helicopter MRO/Sales/Exec Heliport and many of their ‘way too cozy’ connections in ‘way too many’ State of Michigan Agencies
- Any other commercial or business concern related to 1d2 that benefited or profited at the expense of the Health, Safety and Welfare of PCCS students
Of course, we can’t make any legal determination here. But maybe it’s time for these MDOT clowns and whomever enabled, acquiesced, colluded, conspired, helped or is complicit in any way with MDOT to ‘lawyer-up’ as they say, if they haven’t done so already!
Ok, Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is Reckless & Negligent, Now What?
Most believe that Michigan has the money to fix roads, it’s just being used for personal MDOT purposes, preferences and direction for the benefit of the few, while the many must pay their own way.
Poll show: Michigan voters say the State has enough money to fix roads (html). Compare 2019 millage rates in Michigan (html) and it’s obvious that taxpayers are paying way too much for way too little in return with no visibility or accountability from MDOT whatsoever. This is MDOT’s huge ‘shell game’. Taxpayers are paying their share for the roads in their local communities all across Michigan while MDOT continues to waste massive amounts of money on ridiculous airstrips like Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 that benefit the few while destroying the Health, Safety and Welfare of the communities, neighborhoods, schools and vulnerable populations, e.g. the many.
MDOT is this huge lumbering behemoth who’s used to getting their own way, now with what appears to be openly fraudulent behavior that goes unpunished! The MDOT ‘stink’ seems to stick to everything they touch.
MDOT is so used to getting their own way, even with what appears to openly fraudulent behavior, all without any repercussions whatsoever! Negative headlines regarding Michigan Agency Officials & Spokesperson malpractice & negligence is getting more and more common:
- Senator blasts MDOT’s handling study as ‘outright fraud’! Group wants audit of MDOT’s role in study, Lobbyist steered MDOT report (html) (html) (html)
- A former Supervisor of the Wayne County Airport Authority (WCAA)
- Federal Authorities Lock up Detroit Metro Airport (DTW) boss James Warner for 25 years, feds say (html), January 22, 2020 – Detroit News
- Detroit airport employee gets 10 years in prison for $6M kickback scheme (html) | Detroit Free Press
- Ex-Detroit Metro official sentenced to 10 years for bribery (html) | Detroit News
- ‘Despicable’: Internal Emails Reveal Contractor Knew About Lead Risks in Months Before City’s Public Confirmation (html) | Common Dreams News
MDOT & Lead Coverup Conspirators Conclusion: Prosecute, Litigate, Punish
The glaring fact is NONE, not a single one of these people involved with MDOT have publicly said one SINGLE word to investigate or protect vulnerable populations from Lead Poisoning, and in fact several went way out of their way to NOT mention it at all, completely ignoring any mention of Lead Poisoning hoping the problem would just go away.
Victims: hundreds of PCCS students for sure, perhaps thousands, and many more victims across Michigan that could have been prevented or minimized to some extent! Lead poisoning from Leaded 100LL Aviation fuel at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 is ridiculous, totally unnecessary and preventable.
We all know airstrip users should pay for their own airport & aircraft activities and pay again to clean up the Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead mess already there, and the mess they are knowingly & actively continuing to create. They cannot be allowed to continue shrugging their shoulders and laughing all the way, oh well we get a ‘pass’ this time as it’s not technically illegal!
What’s now called the ‘Flint Effect’, or hiding behind outdated laws, rules, and regulations, is really sick & selfish, MDOT just stands back and keeps repeating “Where’s the proof?” over and over again enabling the Child Lead Poisoning Epidemic to continue. MDOT has perfected what many are now calling the ‘MDOT Mettetal Effect’ or ‘MDOT Clown Effect’ both named in honor of MDOT. E.g. continuing to hide behind outdated laws, rules, and regulations for their own benefit knowing it’s evil.
Every person involved in this senseless violation of PCCS students “bodily integrity” should feel the wrath of communities, neighborhoods, families, and especially the parents of affected PCCS students and be met with:
- Rigorous Robust Criminal Investigation & Prosecution
- Vigorous Civil Litigation
- Generous Punishment, to the maximum extent of the law!
The State of Michigan should be Embarrassed, humiliated, and ashamed of MDOT performance at this point – this is truly ethically devoid and morally bankrupt?
Next Steps: Who Cleans Up Lead After MDOT Negligence and Malpractice?
After taking care of yet another major MDOT Clown Patrol Brain Fart (and there are more to come) now is time to think about cleaning up the Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 Airstrip. It’s pretty clear that NONE of these people will take responsibility for their legacy Lead Poisoning mess left behind for future generations to deal with. The problem is who is going to pay for a new green space for already financially strapped surrounding communities stuck paying for their own roads?
Maybe this is where the shiny brand new & fully empowered Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes & Energy (EGLE), previously called the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) comes in. Help could come from the EGLE Redevelopment Team (html).
The EGLE Brownfield Redevelopment Program – Brownfield properties are those in which the redevelopment or reuse of the property may be complicated by the presence or perception of contamination. Revitalizing and redeveloping these properties protects the environment, reuses existing infrastructure, minimizes urban sprawl and creates economic opportunities.
The Remediation and Redevelopment Division provides financial and technical assistance including grants, loans, tax increment financing and free site assessments to facilitate the redevelopment of brownfield properties.
There are many Michigan Resources & Respected Groups fighting toxic pollution and chemical contaminants such as Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Lead Poisoning:
- Michigan Environmental Council (MEC)
- Sierra Club (National) (Michigan) (SE Michigan) (HuronValley)
- US EPA Environmental Info for Michigan (html) | EPA in Michigan (html) | US EPA (html)
- US EPA Contact EPA Region 5 Illinois, Indiana, Michigan (html), Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin | About EPA (html) | US EPA (html), US EPA Region 5, 77 W. Jackson Blvd., Chicago, IL 60604, 800-621-8431 or 312-353-2000
- Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE), (EGLE – Air), EGLE – Environmental Assistance Center (html)
- Watered Down Justice – Socio-demographics and Violations of the Safe Drinking Water Act
- Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units (PEHSU)
- Detroit Sustainability Action Agenda 2019 (pdf)
New EPA Rules Directly Threaten Child Lead Poisoning Prevention Efforts
In the article by Professor Gabriel Filippelli, Ph.D. (html), Department of Earth Sciences (html), Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), Purdue School of Science (html), Director of the Center for Urban Health (html), [National Academy of Sciences] [TheConversation] [Wikipedia]:
- EPA’s proposed ‘secret science’ rule directly threatens children’s health | The Conversation (html)
- Column: EPA’s proposed ‘secret science’ rule directly threatens children’s health ⋆Michigan Advance (html)
- EPA’s proposed “secret science” rule directly threatens children’s health | Salon.com (html)
the author agrees with the rest of the world that childhood Lead exposure is a public health hazard of epidemic proportions. The impacts from any Lead exposure are permanent and lifelong. It is absolutely critical to identify and eliminate sources of Lead exposure before Lead exposure symptoms are recognized, usually by that time children are already poisoned.
Lead poisoning symptoms don’t appear until blood lead levels are high, so reducing exposure is the only effective way to prevent permanent damage.
One challenge is that public health officials & researchers don’t have adequate environmental measurements for Lead sources. Only fine-scaled results revealed by human health data seems the best way to identify sources, and thus inform policies to protect children. Blood samples from pediatric health screenings can provide valuable data for public health research.
If the new Secret Science rule is adopted, EPA officials will have to pretend that this kind of research doesn’t exist, since the patient records that it draws on can’t be made public.
Many believe this will leave hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of children across the U.S. at risk of a lifetime of avoidable harm from lead poisoning and other types of pollution that researchers analyze using private medical data.
This appears to be how the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) operates now as they continue to acquiesce, ignoring public health concerns, issuing no warnings and conducting their business as usual.
Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) encourages, endorses, and supports Special Interests and Industry Lobbyists to bring unwanted unnecessary pollution and disruption into communities, avoiding any disclosure of potentially harmful public Health, Environmental, Safety, and Welfare impacts of Hobby, Sport, Recreational activities using Leaded Aviation fuel 100LL with EDB, PFAS and other pollutants.
Due to new EPA rules and many other complications Legal experts say Flint water crisis trials could be delayed for years ⋆Michigan Advance (html), more to come on this.
Further reading see:
- Seasonality and Children’s Blood Lead Levels: Developing a Predictive Model Using Climatic Variables and Blood Lead Data from Indianapolis, Indiana, Syracuse, New York, and New Orleans, Louisiana (USA) | Environmental Health Perspectives | Vol. 113, No. 6 (html) (pdf)
- 1 million Michigan Child BLLs Show MDOT Lead Poisoning Coverup.
2019 – 2020 Lead Poisoning Updates
It’s time to stop MDOT using Michigan Children’s Blood Lead Levels (BLLs) as sensors to detect their Tetraethyl Lead (TEL), Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS), Ethylene Dibromide (EDB), and other Endocrine Disruptor Chemicals (EDC), toxins, poisons, and pollutants!
The Social Cost of Leaded Gasoline (Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel): Evidence from Regulatory Exemptions
SocArXiv Papers | The social cost of leaded gasoline (Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel): Evidence from regulatory exemptions (html) (pdf) 92 pages, submitted September 22, 2019, last edited: October 23, 2019. DOI 10.31235/osf.io/rdy6g
- Assistant Professor Alex Hollingsworth (Faculty) (Twitter) (github) (github) (GoogleScholar) (TheConversation)
- Assistant Professor Ivan Rudik (Faculty) (Faculty) (html) (github) (Twitter) (RePEc) (TheConversation) (NBER) (GoogleScholar)
Leaded gasoline is still widely used in the United States for aviation (Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel) and automotive racing. Exploiting regulatory exemptions and a novel quasi-experiment, we find that leaded gasoline increases ambient lead concentrations, elevated blood lead rates, and elderly mortality. The estimated effects indicate the social cost of a gram of lead added to gasoline is over $1,100.
Our results are the first causal estimates linking adult mortality to leaded gasoline (Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel), highlight the historic value of banning on-road leaded gasoline, demonstrate the costs of continued regulatory exemptions, and provide policy-relevant cost estimates of lead emissions at the lowest ambient levels to date.
A Toxic Truth: Lead Exposure Problems Linger In Soil, Air
A study, by researchers at Carnegie Mellon University, published in Economics & Human Biology (html) – Journal (html) – Elsevier (html), found adverse effects on the boys from exposure to lead even in counties with levels of lead concentration in topsoil that are considered low according to guidelines from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and state agencies that address these issues.
“These findings strengthen our understanding of the adverse effects of lead exposure on children’s cognitive development,” says Edson Severnini, assistant professor of economics and public policy at Carnegie Mellon University’s Heinz College, who was part of the study. “They are concerning because they suggest that lead may continue to impair cognition.”
“Our study provides new evidence of the damaging effect of lead on cognitive development, even in areas with low lead concentration,” notes Karen Clay, professor of economics and public policy at Carnegie Mellon University’s Heinz College, who coauthored the study. “This indicates the need for further monitoring of soil in urban areas and suggests that the EPA should revise its standards for acceptable levels of lead in soil.”
- A Toxic Truth: Lead Exposure Problems Linger In Soil, Air (html), Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) News, August 23, 2019
- A toxic truth: lead exposure problems linger in soil, air (html) (pdf), phys.org, August 26, 2019
- Higher lead in topsoil boosts probability of cognitive difficulties in five-year-old boys, (html), MedicalExpress, April 10, 2019
- Lead exposure found to affect fertility rates (html) Medical Express, May 22, 2018
- In Cities, Lead Exposure Is Lowering Fertility – CityLab (html), July 5, 2018
- Pollution That Discriminates by Gender – WSJ, May 2, 2019 (html)
- Toxic Truth: Lead and Fertility, National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) Working Paper No. 24607, Issued in May 2018, Revised in June 2019, (acknowledgments) (html) (pdf) (cloud)
The Legacy Lead Deposition in Soils and Its Impact on Cognitive Function in Preschool-Aged Children in the United States
The legacy lead deposition in soils and its impact on cognitive function in preschool-aged children in the United States. | Semantic Scholar (html)
The Legacy Lead Deposition in Soils and Its Impact on Cognitive Function in Preschool-Aged Children in the United States by Karen Clay, Margarita Portnykh, Edson Severnini :: SSRN (html) (pdf), Posted: 9 Mar 2019
The Concurrent Decline of Soil Lead and Children’s Blood Lead in New Orleans
The concurrent decline of soil lead and children’s blood lead in New Orleans | Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS) (html) (pdf), October 29, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1906092116. Other researchers, however, have indicated that Pb contamination of soil from TEL (Tetraethyl Lead) is at least as important, if not more so, than lead-based paint as a source of children’s Pb exposure.
Study finds topsoil is key harbinger of lead exposure risks for children (html) – ScienceDaily, October 14, 2019
Howard W Mielke, PhD, Research Professor (html) | Medicine
Lead’s Urban Legacy (html) -“Lead’s Urban Legacy” deals with lead, a pervasive environmental pollutant that alters the biological signals in the human nervous system. The adverse effects of lead on brain health and function have been known since the Roman Empire.
e.hormone (html) at Tulane University is part of the Environmental Signaling Network, a multifaceted program that aims to integrate the vast interdisciplinary signaling field by fostering communication and promoting scientific advancements. Environmental signaling encompasses the many ways plants and animals use chemical signals to communicate life-driving information, to respond to physical or biological stimuli, and to talk to each other.
Lead poisoning in the 21st century, Dr. Jerome Paulson, MD, Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics (FAAP)
Lead poisoning in the 21st century, Dr. Jerome Paulson, MD, Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics (FAAP) (html) (html) (html). Physicians who maintain their FAAP designation make an ongoing commitment to lifelong learning and advocacy for children.
Protecting Children from Environmental Dangers is not easy – when something in your environment makes your child sick, it can be hard to know where to turn.
Physicians, toxicologists, social workers and nurses are part of a national network that focuses on environmental health for children. They help families learn the causes of your child’s illness and achieve the best health outcome.
Lead exposure remains an urgent health problem that requires action, not just calls for more evidence!
Lead poisoning in the 21st century video (html) | Children’s National Health System (html) Dr. Jerome Paulson, MD, FAAP, Medical Director, Child Health Advocacy Institute (CHAI), shares his insights on the dangers of lead poisoning.
- Professor of Pediatrics & Public Health, George Washington University
- Medical Director for National & Global Affairs, Director, Mid-Atlantic Center for Children’s Health & the Environment, Child Health Advocacy Institute, Children’s National Medical Center
- Chairperson, Executive Committee of the Council on Environmental Health (html) (html) (pdf), American Academy of Pediatrics
- Council on Environmental Health. Prevention of Childhood Lead Toxicity (html) (download pdf) (open pdf). Pediatrics. 2016;38(1):e20161493 | American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
Dr. Jerome Paulson (html) | Milken Institute School of Public Health | GW
George Washington University (GW)
2121 Eye Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052
- Jerome A Paulson, MD, FAAP, Medical Director, PEHSU East, American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- Laura Anderko, PhD, RN
- Maryann Mazer-Amirshahi, MD, PharmD, MPH, Toxicologist Consultant
- Katie Huffling, RN, CNM, Reproductive Health Consultant
- Lois Wessel, RN, Family Nurse Practioner (FNP), FNP Consultant
- Stephanie M. Chalupka EdD, RN, PHCNS-BC, FAAOHN, Professor and Coordinator of the Master of Science in Nursing Program at Worcester State University, Visiting Scientist
- Kelly Jones, Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- Emma Pennea, Center Manager
Home – Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units – PEHSU– Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units (PEHSU), are a network of experts in reproductive and children’s environmental health. An interconnected system of specialists located throughout North America who respond to questions from public health professionals, clinicians, policy makers, and the public about the impacts of environmental factors on the health of children and reproductive-age adults. There is a total of 10 Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units across the country with each region dedicated to children’s environmental health issues.
The Children’s Environmental Health (html) | Great Lakes Center (html) Region 5 | University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) – Is one of 10 Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units (PEHSUs) across the country dedicated to children’s environmental health issues. Our primary area of focus is Region 5, which includes the states of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin. A PEHSU has experts in pediatrics, toxicology, occupational and environmental medicine, reproductive health, and other specialties. PEHSUs are a source of medical information and advice on environmental exposures influence reproductive and children’s health and work with an array of people, such as parents, schools, and state agencies, to address children’s environmental health issues.
The Region 5 PEHSU published a spectacular guide book, Investigating Environmental Contamination: A Guide for Communities (pdf), June 2019, Great Lakes Center for Children’s Environmental Health University of Illinois at Chicago, School of Public Health. The guide is for community members who are concerned about their environmental exposures in their neighborhood. It covers outdoor pollution in the air, soil, and water and offers resources specific for Region 5 states. It also includes a power mapping example to help community members advocate for change and take their environmental concerns to legislators. A printer-friendly version is also available.
- Susan Kaplan, JD Research Assistant Professor (html)
- Susan Buchanan, MD, MPH, Director, Great Lakes Center for Children’s Environmental Health Region 5 Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Unit (html) (html)
- Emily Szwiec, MPH, Coordinator, Great Lakes Center for Children’s Environmental Health Region 5 Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Unit (html)
Dr. Jerome “Jerry” Paulson – Professor Emeritus of Environmental & Occupational Health – The George Washington University- Milken Institute School of Public Health | LinkedIn (html)
Time to Step Up Efforts to Protect Children from Climate Change (html)
HealthyChildren.org (html) – From the American Academy of Pediatrics – The AAP Parenting Website
The State of Public Health Lead Policies: Implications for Urban Health Inequities and Recommendations for Health Equity
International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2019; 16(6):1064 – IJERPH | Free Full-Text | The State of Public Health Lead Policies: Implications for Urban Health Inequities and Recommendations for Health Equity (html) (pdf), Received: 21 February 2019 / Revised: 18 March 2019 / Accepted: 20 March 2019 / Published: 24 March 2019
The State of Public Health Lead Policies: Implications for Urban Health Inequities and Recommendations for Health Equity. – PubMed – NCBI (html)
Screening for Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Children and Pregnant Women, Updated Evidence Report and Systematic Review & Recommendation Statement
Lead exposure remains an urgent health problem that requires action, not just calls for more evidence!
There are many proven best practices that involve taking action to prevent exposures, screening of high-risk children, and then referring families who have children with elevated blood lead levels to risk assessors and others who are trained and licensed to identify, quantify, and remediate exposure.
Screening for Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Childhood and Pregnancy: Updated Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force (html), April 16, 2019 | Guidelines | JAMA | JAMA Network, PubMed – NCBI (html) (html)
Screening for Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Children and Pregnant Women: US Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement (html) (pdf), April 16, 2019 | Guidelines | JAMA | JAMA Network, PubMed – NCBI (html)
Final Recommendation Statement: Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Children and Pregnant Women: Screening (html) – US Preventive Services Task Force
Screening for Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Childhood and Pregnancy: Updated Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force (html) — Oregon Health & Science University
Screening for Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Childhood and Pregnancy: Updated Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force (html) | Semantic Scholar, Published in JAMA 2019, DOI:10.1001/jama.2019.1004
National Toxicology Program – Health Effects of Low-level Lead, June 13, 2012!
The National Toxicology Program (NTP), part of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, part of the National Institutes of Health – Health Effects of Low-level Lead (html), June 13, 2012!, Although reductions in lead exposure for the U.S. population have resulted in lower blood lead levels over time, epidemiological studies continue to provide evidence of health effects at lower and lower blood lead levels. The NTP Monograph on Health Effects of Low-level Lead (pdf) was developed to summarize the evidence for lead-associated health effects in children and adults at these low exposure levels. The evidence provides support for adverse health effects in both children and adults at blood lead levels below 10 μg/dL, and, for some effects, below 5 μg/dL.
The panel agreed with the draft NTP overall conclusions on cardiovascular, renal, and immune health effects associated with blood Pb levels <10 μg/dL. The panel recommended changing the draft summary conclusion for neurological effects in children and for reproductive effects in adult women from sufficient evidence of an association at blood Pb levels <10 ug/ dL to sufficient evidence of an association at blood Pb levels <5 ug/dL.
January/February 2019 – Volume 25 – Issue : Journal of Public Health Management and Practice – Supplement 1, Lead Poisoning Prevention
January/February 2019 – Volume 25 – Issue : Journal of Public Health Management and Practice (html) – Social issues dedicated to Lead Poisoning. Here are several articles:
Lead Elimination for the 21st Century : Journal of Public Health Management and Practice (html), Journal of Public Health Management and Practice: January/February 2019 – Volume 25 – Issue – p S3-S4, PubMed – NCBI (html) – Now is the time to eliminate lead from children’s environments.
Over time, scientific evidence has accumulated and no safe level of lead for children has been identified. Why then has the elimination of lead hazards in the environment not been more of a priority for society as a whole? Lead poisoning is the longest-lasting childhood epidemic in the United States and has never been treated as one.
Using Medicaid Data to Improve Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program Outcomes and Blood Lead Surveillance (html), Journal of Public Health Management and Practice: January/February 2019 – Volume 25 – Issue – p S51-S57, PubMed – NCBI (html)
Integrating Childhood and Adult Blood Lead Surveillance to Improve Identification and Intervention Efforts (html), Journal of Public Health Management and Practice: January/February 2019 – Volume 25 – Issue – p S98-S104, PubMed – NCBI (html) (pdf)
CDC’s Lead Poisoning Prevention Program: A Long-standing Responsibility and Commitment to Protect Children From Lead Exposure (html), Journal of Public Health Management and Practice: January/February 2019 – Volume 25 – Issue – p S5-S12, PubMed – NCBI (html) (html) (pdf)
Lead Poisoning Prevention: The Unfinished Agenda (html), Journal of Public Health Management and Practice: January/February 2019 – Volume 25 – Issue – p S1-S2, PubMed – NCBI (html) (pdf)
The Flint Water Crisis: A Coordinated Public Health Emergency Response and Recovery Initiative (html), Journal of Public Health Management and Practice: January/February 2019 – Volume 25 – Issue – p S84-S90, Perri Zeitz Ruckart, MPH, Adrienne S. Ettinger, ScD, MPH, MS, Mona Hanna-Attisha, MD, MPH, Nicole Jones, PhD, Stephanie I. Davis, MSPH, and Patrick N. Breysse, PhD, PubMed – NCBI (html) (pdf)
Causes for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Are Complex & Many
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a brain disorder that affects social skills, communication and behavior control. In the United States, it affects one in 59 children, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Studies show that about one in four children with autism goes undiagnosed.
Noteworthy Lead Poisoning Related Books
Miscellaneous Lead Poisoning Updates
- Poisoned by their homes: how the US is failing children exposed to lead | US news | The Guardian (html) Wed 26 Jun 2019 – “We are currently doing things backwards [by] using children’s blood as detectors of environmental contamination,” said Dr Mona Hanna-Attisha, the pediatrician who famously uncovered elevated levels of lead in her pediatric patients and linked it to a new water source in Flint, Michigan. “The screening that needs to happen is in the environment before children are ever exposed.”
- This Lead Is Killing Us: A History of Citizens Fighting Lead Poisoning in Their Communities (html) | U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM)
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, (USDHHS), US Center for Disease Control (CDC) – Lead – CDC’s Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (html), part of National Center for Environmental Health, (NCEH), Division of Environmental Health Science and Practice (EHSP)
- Exploring the long fight against lead poisoning in the United States (html) – The Washington Post, November 9, 2019
- ‘Troubling’ audit reveals state failure to test millions of babies for toxic lead | CalMatters (html), January 7, 2020 – “Because we know that lead has such harmful effects on kids and the impacts last a lifetime, the state [California] has a responsibility to want to eliminate all exposures so kids are not exposed in the first place,” said Dr. Jill Johnston (html), assistant professor of preventive medicine in the Division of Environmental Health at the USC Keck School of Medicine (html)
- Environmental Chemicals Are Stealing IQ Points from American Children and Costing Trillions to the Economy – Citizen Truth (html), January 18, 2020
- The Pediatrician Who Woke America Up to the Lead Crisis | Discover Magazine (html) November 13, 2019. Crisis – Thanks to one man’s perseverance, we know even small doses of lead can permanently harm growing kids
- Recent Increases in Air Pollution: Evidence and Implications for Mortality (html), National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) Working Paper No. 26381, Issued in October 2019
- Get the Lead Out – Center for American Progress (html) January 17, 2019 – Lead poisoning is completely preventable. But, because lead has no smell, taste, or color, communities and public health officials have significant challenges finding and measuring the presence of the toxic metal. Lead Exposure Activity Detection (LEAD) Innovation Fund – to be managed by the National Science Foundation, would accelerate the development of next-generation approaches to lead detection and monitoring. Specifically, it would focus on approaches that are smarter and cheaper and that better meet benchmarks set by federal agencies such as the EPA and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Lead Poisoning Prevention: The Unfinished Agenda (html) (pdf), 2019 January 25, J Public Health Manag Pract.
- United States Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Service, Urban Technical Note No. 4, January 2018 – Urban Soils in Agriculture – (pdf) Studies have found that 57 to 100 percent of the trace metals, e.g. Lead, found in storm-water are from atmospheric deposition
- Lead (Pb) Bioaccessibility and Mobility Assessment of Urban Soils and Composts: Fingerprinting Sources and Refining Risks to Support Urban Agriculture – Sharp – 2017 – GeoHealth – Wiley Online Library (html) (pdf)
- Case studies and evidence-based approaches to addressing urban soil lead contamination – ScienceDirect (html) (pdf), Applied Geochemistry, Volume 83, August 2017, Pages 14-30
- Report Highlights Effective State Strategies to Improve Lead Screening and Treatment in Children – The National Academy for State Health Policy (html), A Publication of the National Academy for State Health Policy, State Strategies to Improve Childhood Lead Screening and Treatment Services under Medicaid and CHIP (pdf), April 2018, National Academy For State Health Policy (NASHP)
- Early lead exposure and outcomes in adulthood, IFAU – Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education(2017) (html) (pdf)
- The Deadly Biology of Lead Exposure – Science in the News, Harvard University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (html), June 27, 2016
- Linking Source and Effect: Resuspended Soil Lead, Air Lead, and Children’s Blood Lead Levels in Detroit, Michigan | Environmental Science & Technology (html) (sample statistics pdf), February 21, 2013, PubMed (html)
- Lead Exposure and Lead Poisoning (html), American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- Learn about Lead | Lead | US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (html)
- American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) – Home4601 North Fairfax Drive, Suite 630 | Arlington, VA 22203. To Contact your local Poison Control Center: 1-800-222-1222, Help – PoisonHelp.org, Call 1-800-222-1222 or Get Help Online – Poison.org
Michigan Map Looks Like a Waterproof, Stain Resistant, Fireproof, Non-stick PFAS Mitten with a Secret Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) Lining That MDOT Just Happened to ‘forget’ to Tell ‘anyone’ About! How Convenient!
Elevated levels of PFAS found in water in Miami, New York, Philadelphia, other major cities (html) – UPI.com– The latest EWG study tested for 30 different PFAS compounds, but there are currently 600 PFAS compounds currently being used by various industries. Most of these aren’t well studied, so their potential toxicities aren’t understood.
Per and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) (html) | US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) – The FDA states there are nearly 5,000 types of PFAS, some of which have been more widely used and studied than others.
Part of the problem is that researchers working to study the safety of these compounds and their prevalence in the environment can’t keep up with their production by industrial sources, who are not required to report the development of new PFAS compounds and are reluctant to share trade secrets.
In Europe, PFAS compounds are banned — not so in the U.S.
Previous testing has found extremely high levels of PFAS in water samples collected near U.S. Navy and Air Force bases.
Hmmmm, sounds familiar, surely MDOT knows something, like Grand Rapids Michigan airport (GRR) (KGRR) (html), MDOT will deny, hide, obfuscate, and won’t tell anyone for sure. Seems like a common repeating pattern of behavior?
“People tend not to care about cleaning up after there is an aviation accident,” Rediske said. “They’re just trying to put out the fire and save people’s lives.”
What About Exposure to Multiple Toxins Together: Tetraethyl Lead, PFAS, EDB?
PFAS Contamination of Drinking Water Far More Prevalent Than Previously Reported (html), EWG.org, Wednesday, January 22, 2020 – “The most significant factor, from a toxicology standpoint, is that certain ones stick to proteins in our blood,” Rediske said. “DDT and pesticides go in to our fat. Lead goes into our bones. Mercury goes into muscle. Because PFAS are carried around in our blood and aren’t discarded, they naturally concentrate over time. And they attach to the proteins that carry antibodies, cholesterol and hormones, that’s why you get so many different health effects caused by these compounds.”
The technical (real) answer is – even the SMEs do not know and can’t predict or isolate any particular health outcome(s). The marketing answer – MDOT is looking into it!
MDOT Continued Lead & PFAS Silence Threatens Recovery & Growth of Southeast Michigan
This MDOT silence not only threatens the recovery and growth of Southeast Michigan, it threatens the reputation of the entire State of Michigan on the national and international stage! What a needless pity caused by a handful of Lead loving clowns wagging the dog with no regard for the community or environmental sustainability!
Even while Ann Arbor was rated a top #3 tech hub in the nation, retaining and growing a tech hub in Southeast Michigan with so much competition worldwide should be a significant worry for Michigan business leaders at Michigan Business Aviation Association (MBAA), Ann Arbor SPARK, Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG), Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC| MiPlace| PlanetM), Michigan Venture Capital Association (MVCA), American Center for Mobility (ACM), and Pure Michigan the Official Travel & Tourism Website for Michigan which is a ‘nice marketing’ view but sadly currently does NOT reflect the true environmental and sustainability status and record of the State of Michigan!
The Brookings institute released a report Monday December 9, 2019, The case for growth centers: How to spread tech innovation across America (html) (full report pdf) (Exec Summary pdf) (Press release pdf) (Appendices pdf) that basically states:
What’s happening: “Most notably, just five top innovation metros — Boston, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle and San Diego — accounted for more than 90% of the nation’s innovation-sector growth during the years 2005 and 2017,” per the report. NOTE: these cities have a proven record of sustainability and environmental responsibility.
The report goes to say that “That’s not to say other metro areas didn’t see some growth in this sector. Cities like Denver, Atlanta and Salt Lake City increased their share, but their gains were smaller than those in the top five. Most metros have stayed relatively flat or lost innovation-sector share.”
Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, MI or basically SE Michigan, lost a notable percentage of jobs, but potential for growth is there (USNews) (Reuters) (Wired) if MDOT ignorance and belligerence doesn’t destroy our chances.
Every person in Michigan should remember that Detroit is only 5 years out of bankruptcy. Tuesday December 10th marks the Detroit’s bankruptcy 5 year anniversary. While great strides have been made, can Detroit avoid another one? (FreePress) Can Michigan ever shed the Lead Poisoning and Bankruptcy mantle? Can Michigan survive an economic recession or even a downturn? (MMTC) (SaveMICity) (MetroTimes)
The chance that Michigan will have continued weak economic fundamentals is one of the highest in the nation. In fact, Michigan’s state coincident index’s growth rate was negative in July all but confirming that its economy is on shaky grounds (Lendingtree). As MDOT squanders taxpayer money for pet projects and politicians fight over the bureaucratic ‘pork barrel’ budgets it should come as no surprise Michigan still has a long recovery road ahead:
- After 10 years of steady growth, Michigan’s economy faces headwinds (html) | Bridge Magazine
- Outlooks continue to show slower growth ahead for Michigan, U.S. economies (html) | MiBiz
- The Era of Fed Power Is Over. Prepare for a More Perilous Road Ahead (html) | WSJ
With the looming shortage and challenge of finding and retaining talent required for the next decade of Michigan growth (html), it’s clear that nobody wants to live, work, play, shop, or raise a family anywhere in Southeast Michigan with MDOT obscuring, hiding, accepting, encouraging, endorsing, sponsoring, and even directly misrepresenting and openly lying about known unsafe levels of Lead as safe which amounts to Lead Poisoning! This is common knowledge and is well known in the aviation industry for almost a decade.
MDOT has historically expended zero time, money or effort to truly address or even acknowledge Chemical contamination and Lead Poisoning. This is just the tip of the MDOT iceberg of chemical poisoning and contamination coverups that will affect Michigan’s future for years to come.
Michigan Residents Tired of the MDOT Tail Wagging the Dog and Demand Action
Taxpayers demand Michigan Lawmakers & Elected Officials remove all helicopters and airplanes from our Canton Township and Plymouth Township Michigan Neighborhoods, near our Schools, School Children & our Homes.
MDOT – the Michigan Department of Transportation has betrayed the public trust by promoting and protecting Special Interests & Industry Lobbyist agendas, wasting tax payer dollars, and withholding vital information regarding Health, Safety, and Welfare of vulnerable populations include pregnant women, babies, and school children.
MDOT, Special Interests, & Industry Lobbyists have misled, misrepresented, obscured, hidden, and outright lied to taxpayers about Public Health, Safety, & Welfare dangers from these helicopters and airplanes.
- 9 of 12 extended family members dead in plane crash, 3 seriously injured. (NPR) (USAToday) (ChicagoTribune).
- 7 dead , including whole Family of 5 including three young children and two newly wed friends when small plane slammed into the ground and was ‘completely destroyed’ (People) (TorontoSun) (AVWeb) (DailyMail).
- 3 dead after failed emergency landing, aircraft found completely demolished on sidewalk and street (CNN) (USAToday).
- Flight risk worries preceded deadly medical helicopter crash, NTSB reports – News – The Columbus Dispatch – Columbus, OH (Cinncinati.com) (ColumbusDispatch). Pilot and two flight nurses on the Survival Flight dead. A 53-page report NTSB report indicates that multiple people expressed concern about pressuring pilots to take flights. Several testified they were recipients of or witnessed a pilot being reprimanded or challenged for declining a flight. One medical crew member recounted the chief pilot calling pilots who declined flights, yelling at them with expletives and belittling insults.
- Two people dead, Air filter found displaced in fatal Michigan plane crash
- 3 People Dead, 3 Critically Injured, Deadliest on Record in Lansing Michigan. (People)(DetroitNews)(LansingStateJournal)(USAToday)
- Seven Killed, many critically injured in World War II-Era Plane Crash. Nobody should be be flying 70-year-old planes! (USAToday)(WSJ)(YouTube)(WBUR)(LATimes)(ChicagoTrib)(Courant)(People)(Time)
- Helicopter wheel falls through ceiling of Home, Owner says she’s ‘been dreading this’ (ChicagoSun)
- Air show 2019: Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) Snowbird plane crashes during Atlanta air show (AAS). Pilot forced to eject from aircraft shortly before air show performance, aircraft crashed in an area with huge plumes of smoke behind shocked onlooker’s homes. The rest of the annual air show cancelled following the crash. Video show fiery crash site miles away from air strip. – (CBSNews) (11Alive) (WSBTV) (Wikipedia)
- Plane propeller cuts off woman’s arm and foot in grisly accident | (MiamiHerald) (OrlandoSentinel) (ABCNews) (NYPost) (FOXNews)
- New details of B–17 crash emerge (AOPA)
- NTSB releases preliminary report on fatal B-17 plane crash (Task&Purpose).
The plane hit approach lights about 1,000 feet prior to the runway, then landed 500 feet before reaching it, according to airport surveillance video and witness statements collected by federal investigators. The plane then veered off the runway before colliding into a deicing fluid tank and vehicles bursting into flames.
The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) budget contains the largest single waste of taxpayer money in the history of Michigan all while Michigan students and schools are completely ignored and neglected.
- Study: Michigan ranks last in school funding growth over 20 years (Crains)
- Michigan ranked 44th nationally in higher education spending in 2019 (TheMichiganDaily)
- Fewer students, tepid state funding roil Michigan public universities (BridgeMagazine)
- States with the best (and worst) schools. Few state school systems report worse achievement metrics than Michigan. (USAToday)
- National Education Association (NEA) Rankings of the States 2018 and Estimates of School Statistics 2019, NEA Research April 2019 (PDF)
It is absolutely unconscionable, and embarrassing as residents that the State of Michigan has not made any public statement regarding Public Health, Safety, and Welfare regarding Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) Poisoning, Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) at Plymouth Canton School System (PCCS), nor has any other responsible authority for that matter!
Some Recent Lame MDOT Activity History
2019 Week 43 Monday October 21, 2019 thru Sunday October 27, 2019. Busy MDOT weekend with Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist event complete with helicopter & airplane rides in a carnival like event giving community pregnant women, babies, school children & neighborhoods the middle finger!
The PCCS School Season began long ago and planes and helicopters are still buzzing in and out indiscriminately. The third-party contractor hired by the State of Michigan allows the right people to enjoy their Labor Day vacations and summer & fall time off flying over PCCS Schools and Plymouth and Canton Township neighborhoods. Hangar A2 is one such privileged hangar renter that gets the nod-nod wink-wink and enjoys toxic time over our schools and community. That is after this very well to do person’s additional extra or spare green car stored in the hangar is moved out the way, what a scam and insult to parents and taxpayers!
It’s all about the money, connections, Special Interests and Industry Lobbyist friends, family, contractors and MDOT employees. What a complete joke! The State of Michigan can’t seem to control this toxic Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 mess either, and continues to cater to these vindictive & vengeful clowns while the Health, Safety, and Welfare of our most vulnerable populations continues to be ignored, go figure.
The State Owned Hobby, Sport, Recreational Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 sneaky airplane and helicopter airstrip traffic continued for their summer and now fall vacations. Since there is NO “Closed” sign anywhere to be seen, for all intents and purposes 1d2 appears to be still “Open for Business” as usual, smugly and defiantly offering flying classes & training, helicopter & airplane rides, aviation rental storage units, and even boasting tours and class trip type visits for school age children. Wow, go figure!
Yes, the airstrip is still “Open for business as usual”, flying classes still advertised, take-off & landing from 6:30am to 10:00pm, many less than 200 feet over dangerously close neighborhoods, homes, schools, and retirement, nursing & rehabilitation centers. Now a commercial entity that owns ~7 helicopters from Oakland/Troy Airport (VLL) is offering Helicopter rides & classes like a side show carnival, nobody seems to take this seriously at all.
This is easily shown in 3D radar data sets used in typical NTSB & FAA aircraft & helicopter accident & crash investigation & reconstruction, e.g. using data from FAA & USAF Joint Surveillance System (JSS) RADAR station at Geddes & Michigan avenue (4.76 mi, 7.65 km, 4.13 nmi from 1d2) used for DTW, YIP, and others. See J-62, Z-397, Canton, MI, ARSR-4, 42°16′36″N 083°28′27″W, EADS, AGL Great Lakes. Or FAA Terminal Radar Approach Control Facilities (TRACON) Detroit LocID D21. The only people these morons at 1d2 are fooling is themselves!
The whole month of July – September was “open for business as usual” with the regular cast or morons including N1522V, N17177, N94891, N99MQ, and N6902T. However, more troubling is N992CP Civil Air Patrol [CAP] and N513RS Yankee Air Museum [YAM] [YAM], both performing prohibited dangerous touch-n-go’s on a tiny airstrip directly over schools, homes, and the many local assisted care living & rehabilitation facilities! What a sad state of affairs, it’s people at companies and organizations like these that are the perfect example why “we can’t have nice things!”
The Civil Air Patrol Inc, 105 S Hansell ST, Maxwell AFB Alabama 36112 (CAP) [Facebook] [Michigan Wing] (Satellite) [DOD Maxwell-Gunter AFB] [Facebook] seems to endorse, condone, support, sponsor, and or otherwise approve of Lead Poisoning of vulnerable populations like nearby school kids and the entire community with clowns like N992CP (Monday July 8, 2019 10:65am) at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip. CAP is a non-governmental non-profit organization that many believe has lost their respect along the way, e.g. many make comments like “Looking back, it didn’t really benefit in any way, and the grown up side is just a [pathetic] flight club for [arrogant] people that want to pretend they are/were military.” It’s no surprise Why CAP Members Are Leaving either, while there are some good people left, the local groups seem to be stuck with some of the “bottom of the barrel” seen in their frequent lapses in management decisions and judgment. Quite disturbing, sad and very disappointing . . .
The Yankee Air Museum (YAM) obviously has some problems of their own, don’t think they need increased bad press with jerks like Red WACO Biplane N513RS on July 6, 2019 between 12:00 Noon and 12:30pm treating Canton Township neighborhoods to an Oshkosh like thrill show, demonstrating reckless, careless, erratic, aerobatic flight maneuvers [AOPA] [FAA] [US GPO] [eCFR], swooping unnecessarily low over neighborhoods, extreme changes of altitude, speed, with obviously observable unsafe and dangerous flight characteristics, that easily appear on local FAA Air Traffic Control radar [ATC], over many homes, close PCCS schools, and assisted care living & rehabilitation facilities. The FAA [FAA] cannot seem to manage or control ANY of these out of control clowns, and neither can MDOT or even the State of Michigan!
These clowns really believe they are “above the law” and can do whatever they want whenever they want and continue to give the surrounding communities the big middle finger!
MDOT does not seem to care or can’t control anything at this airstrip. What a complete waste of taxpayer dollars. There is zero sense of urgency, Michigan residents deserve better!
NOTE: The single mission of close1d2.org is to eliminate Lead Poisoning of children in PCCS Schools and Plymouth & Canton neighborhoods from 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel used at State of Michigan MDOT owned Hobby, Sport, Recreational – Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airport!
As part of our mission one goal is to Inform, Expose and Eliminate Michigan Department of Transportation’s (MDOT) Best Kept Secret: Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Lead Poisoning of Michigan children!
Kids are sick and damaged, and continue to be sickened and damaged! MDOT and their Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist cronies continue to profit & benefit from unfettered, unfair, and unjust access to State of Michigan resources, funding, visibility, advertising & endorsement express or implied on State of Michigan web sites, undue political leverage, preferences & favoritism, protection & pandering [define] to Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist agendas and goals, and other benefits & perks as well.
Lead poisoning of Children from Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel remains an urgent health problem that requires action, not just calls for more evidence from MDOT, Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists!
This site is NOT against Aerospace & Defense, love of country, or patriotism by any means. Lead Poisoning of children has nothing to do with any of these topics! On the contrary, we salute the many fine Airmen & Airwomen protecting our country every single day! Some of the close1d2.org volunteers & contributors thrive in the excitement of the Aerospace & Defense Industry! Please see About page for further information.
National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week
- US Center for Disease Control (CDC) – National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week (html)
- EPA Kicks Off National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week | U.S. EPA News Releases | US EPA (html)
- National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week | Lead | US EPA (html)
- National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week | National Center for Healthy Housing (NCHH) (html)
- National Safety Council (NSC) Lead Poisoning Prevention – Lead Poisoning Is a Real and Present Danger (html)
- World Health Organization (WHO) | International lead poisoning prevention week of action (html)
- HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) – National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week (html)
- U.S. National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week (NLPPW) (pdf) was October 21, 2018 thru October 27, 2018.
Please, don’t forget to Tell MDOT to Stop Poisoning Children 100LL leaded aviation fuel!
- Tell MDOT to STOP poisoning our children with 100LL leaded aviation fuel NOW!
- Tell the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) Childhood Lead Exposure Elimination Commission (CLEEC) to STOP the MDOT Lead Poisoning of children NOW!
- Tell Governor Whitmer to STOP MDOT from lead poisoning our children NOW!
MDOT Says Tetraethyl Lead is Harmless, No Threat to Public, Yeah Right!
April / May 2019 Update: Survey & Soil Boring Activities at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip and May 9, 2019 MDOT Response says Tetraethyl Lead is Harmless, No Threat to Public.
Throughout April / May 2019 what appears to be a full topographical survey and many precisely located soil borings were conducted at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip. Many in the community were hoping this was the start of environmental brownfield planning and development for a sustainable green space for the entire surrounding community. But tragically, that is NOT the case. Here is the reply from MDOT standing firmly and sadly behind antiquated FAA leaded aviation fuel rules: MDOT May 9, 2019 Response regarding decades old common knowledge and well known facts in the aviation and aerospace industry, and was totally expected from a subjective biased source. MDOT might be legally protected (CYA), but ethically and morally MDOT sure is lacking and in complete denial.
MDOT seems more concerned and focused on:
- Making fraudulent and misleading statements defending Lead as Harmless, No Threat to Public
- Defending phony budgets and astronomical economic impact & community ROI at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 as $16 Million Dollars yearly, divided by 12 months or $1.3 Million dollars per month! That’s $1,333,333.00 of THE most outrageous bunch of fictional garbage MDOT economic impacts ever inflicted on taxpayers thus far.
- Defending cronies at specific local Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists. This site has never mentioned any Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists by name anywhere. As everyone knows many groups do some important work like the rest of community, but anybody’s ‘good work’ has nothing to do with Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning of children whatsoever.
The comments in MDOT response are all personal opinion & personal agenda and has nothing to do with Taxpayers whatsoever.
MDOT should act on the Community Health, Safety and Welfare issues instead of defending ridiculous opinions that have nothing to do with protecting most importantly children from MDOT inflicted Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning and MDOT ‘collateral damage’ to surrounding schools, communities, neighborhoods, families.
Elimination of Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning is important for local Canton & Plymouth, Southeast Michigan, and State of Michigan families, neighborhoods, and schools, but also has positive Health, Safety, & Welfare impacts for vulnerable populations across the entire United States.
Many in the aviation, airspace & defense industries strongly disagree with decades old FAA & EPA rules (and MDOT hiding behind them) and related Federal gridlock to change specifications that everyone in aviation and aerospace industries knows are inaccurate and woefully out of date with respect to Health, Safety, and Welfare of nearby vulnerable populations. Many medical, governmental, professional, and technical facts and opinions to the contrary are presented here regarding 100LL leaded aviation fuel which is a serious problem for anyone near it, period. MDOT please do your best to join the 21stcentury with respect to 100LL lead exposure, especially with regards to the three very close schools!
“All of the EPA [FAA] lead standards are grossly inadequate and need to be updated to respect the science of ‘no safe level’ of lead exposure [CDC]. Only then will we as a nation [State] be able to fully protect the potential of our children from this preventable neurotoxin.”
Every effort will made to get the MDOT Lead Testing results and the defined tolerances for human exposure, including those used for vulnerable populations such as children, that were used for measurement and comparison. See MDOT Toxic Emissions Inventory at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 for details.
However, the independent testing was done by what appears to be the closest approved / contracted, and a respected engineering company just doing their job for MDOT:
The C&S Companies [LinkedIn][Facebook] [Twitter] – Quality Engineering, Architectural, and Construction Services with offices located at: 38777 Six Mile Rd. Suite 202, Livonia, MI 48152, +1-734-953-2571.
The C&S Companies recently handled the Detroit Metro Runway 4L-22R Rehabilitation. C&S also handles many Environmental projects that help transform blighted properties into integral, vibrant parts of a community, catalyzing revitalization of entire neighborhoods. With specialization in brownfield planning and development, helping individuals, municipalities, and corporations tackle even the most vexing brownfield and contaminant issues. The C&S team’s brownfield expertise includes:
- Area-wide and site-specific brownfield planning
- Phase I/II Environmental Site Assessments
- Site and remedial investigation
- Remedial evaluations and cost estimating
- Remediation oversight
- Public outreach
C&S has conducted a number of successful brownfield projects, ranging from small gas stations to large abandoned industrial sites. Their team of engineers, geologists, biologists, and planners have significant technical expertise that allows them to understand the issues inherent in brownfield redevelopment projects and give insight into the regulatory and administrative framework of the various state and federal brownfields programs. They also provide site layout, planning, and conceptual future development for brownfield redevelopment projects. The C&S Companies avidly support Sustainability (pdf), and are members of The American Council of Engineers, New York Section (ACEC NY).
Governor Whitmer will be attending the 2018 Michigan Infrastructure Conference (MIC)(details), jointly hosted by the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) [Wikipedia] of Michigan (ACEC MI) and the Michigan (ASCE MI) Section of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) [Wikipedia].
Michigan Infrastructure Report Card
The ASCE Michigan Section released the Infrastructure Report Card for Michigan in March. The report covers 13 categories of infrastructure including: aviation, bridges, dams, drinking water, energy, navigation, rail, roads, schools, solid waste, stormwater, transit and wastewater. The report card for the State of Michigan was rated a totally embarrassing summary D+!
Michigan Infrastructure | ASCE’s 2018 Infrastructure Report Card
Full 2018 Michigan Infrastructure Report Card (html) summary D+
2018 Report Card for Michigan’s Infrastructure Executive Summary (pdf)
2018 Report Card for Michigan’s Infrastructure Full Report (pdf)
As Beverly Watts [Detroit Riverfront Conservancy] who is Director of Public Services that includes the Environmental Services Group for Wayne County, and served on former Gov. Rick Snyder’s 21st Century Infrastructure Commission states in Crain’s Detroit Wayne County running out of Band-Aids for local roads (html) that “what’s scariest is that most people still don’t understand how dramatically the rate of deterioration is outpacing investment. People tell me every day how poor the roads are in Southeast Michigan, and they are right. But they don’t realize just how quickly they will get worse, requiring major reconstruction, or how much more expensive it becomes each year we fail to invest adequately.”
MDOT seems to need help from the State of Michigan, Wayne County, and Local elected officials and agencies to invest taxpayer dollars in long term sustainable, community friendly, transportation infrastructure NOT Hobby, Sport, Recreational Canton Mettetal 1d2 airstrip for a handful of well to do people. Aside from the many Health, Safety, and Welfare related issues (MDOT is really in denial) at 1d2 airstrip, spending any tax dollars to keep the 1d2 airstrip in operation is not only outrageous, but should be embarrassing for the entire Southeast Michigan Region!
Internet Blocking: Is It Embarrassment, Shame, Censorship, Politics, Or?
Due to increased traffic volumes some sites referenced below are now blocking (geo-block) access to their web site content. It is unclear if this is due to small infrastructure overload (sorry), embarrassment or shame, or political sensitivity [Political] [Facebook] [Chamber] [Political] regarding negative press that might scare away businesses, or just plain censorship to otherwise obscure, conceal, or even hide the truth about Lead Poisoning.
Blocking access for any of these reasons is pretty dumb in this day and age. Limiting access almost never works in the long run. Except by despots and dictators in third world autocracies. Listed below are the sites, their phone numbers, and email addresses so the public can call/send email to ask them “why can’t the Internet access important, relevant, and related content to PCCS School information as it relates to Child Lead Poisoning?” If you click the links below and the site does NOT respond within seconds, you are being blocked! NOTE: there are many links on this site related to the sites below that were previously blocked.
This should be embarrassing for all residents of the City of Plymouth and Plymouth Township. Why is there a need to block access to information about the place you live and the schools our children attend from public view. It’s time to ask your elected officials just that question! Very sad and disappointing behavior for such a great area.
City of Plymouth Michigan
201 S. Main
Plymouth, MI 48170
Paul Sincock, City Manager, email@example.com
Oliver Wolcott, Mayor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Additionally, blocking information is NOT fair to Businesses interested in coming to the area as they are more sensitive than ever to lead and chemical contamination of schools and neighborhoods and are very concerned with sustainability or the lack thereof for the benefit of their employees, business surroundings, and general public exposure.
And it is NOT fair to businesses that are already here and want the world to know with certainty that their children, schools, businesses and their Health, Safety, and Welfare are secured by Local, County, and State governments.
This includes many businesses already located in the area, which are some of the largest in Canton Plymouth area, and Wayne County such as:
- Rivian – [Ford Motor Company] [Patch] [Detroit News] [Detroit Free Press] [CarMagazine] [DailyDetroit] [Wired] [Fox2] [Plymouth Voice] [InsideEVs] [USAToday]
- Webasto / Webasto Group – [MEDC] [MEDC] [DetroitNews] [WWJ] [PlymouthCoC]. Webasto Roof Systems Expands Manufacturing Complex in Plymouth Charter Township, Michigan – Area Development. The project is expected to generate a capital investment of almost $48 million and create 441 new jobs, resulting in a $2.7 million Michigan Business Development Program grant (pdf) [Mackinac Center] (pdf) [Michigan Auditor General] (pdf). In addition Plymouth Charter Township is supporting the project with a 50-percent Industrial Facilities Tax Exemption for up to 12 years. “Webasto has been a great long-time employer in Michigan. We look forward to them expanding their presence in Michigan with the addition of a major new facility in Wayne County,” said Wayne County Executive Warren C. Evans.
- Robert Bosch Plymouth Township Technical Center
- Yazaki NA HQ (one of the largest employers in Canton)
- Absopure Water Co (Corporate| Canton) 7900 Haggerty Rd, Canton, MI 48187, +1-800-499-9938, is Less than 830 meters from Lead Poisoning from Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip as shown on google Satellite map. Their second location, Absopure Fresh Brew Coffee Services (home), 8845 General Dr, Plymouth, MI 48170, +1-616-455-5700, is less than 230 meters Lead Poisoning from Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip as shown on google Satellite map.
- The Henry Ford Health System (home) announced it would redevelop the site formerly occupied by Kmart at 40855 Ann Arbor Road near Haggerty Road into a 120,000-square-foot Outpatient Medical Center in Plymouth Township Michigan. The location is dangerously less than 1.5km from Tetraethyl Lead Poisoning from State Owned Hobby, Sport, Recreational, Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip (GoogleMaps)!
- New Plymouth Township Michigan Medical Center | Henry Ford Health System – Detroit, MI – 40855 Ann Arbor Road, Plymouth MI 48170 (html)
- Henry Ford Health System | Henry Ford Health System – Detroit, MI (html)
- Henry Ford Medical Center – Plymouth | Henry Ford Health System – Detroit, MI – 14300 N Beck Rd, Plymouth, MI 48170 (html)
- Henry Ford Medical Center – Canton | Henry Ford Health System – Detroit, MI – 6100 N Haggerty Rd, Canton, MI 48187 (html)
- Blog | Henry Ford LiveWell (html)
- and many others including UM Health, Beaumont, Hella Electronics Corporation, and PCCS Schools (one of the largest employers in Wayne County serving over 18,000 families) [Youtube], etc.
It should be noted that once informed with the true medical, scientific, and technological facts regarding lead poisoning at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 are exposed, NOBODY, including those in the technical community, such as librarians, teachers, engineers, police, firefighters, doctors, nurses, technicians, software developers, professors, and scientists, want to live & raise a family, work, shop, or attend Special Events near any lead and chemical contamination and poisoning.
Special Events Close to Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 Lead Poisoning in the Canton Plymouth Area
Plymouth Fall Festival
Friday, September 6, 2019 – 12:00 PM to 10:00 PM
Saturday, September 7, 2019 – 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM
Sunday, September 8, 2019 – 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Please see the awesome Plymouth Fall Festival Guidebook for more details.
Please Visit WWW.DOWNTOWNPLYMOUTH.ORG For More Information About Area Hotels, Delicious Restaurants, Wonderful Shopping and Fun Things To Do While Visiting The Plymouth Fall Festival at Kellogg Park in downtown Plymouth, MI!
Defiant (childish) Special Interests and Industry Lobbyist groups conduct many ongoing local airstrip spectacles & tantrums, e.g. Father’s Day Pancake Breakfast on Sunday June 16, 2019 (see matching 2018 spectacle), giving local schools, neighborhoods, & communities the middle finger by continued Tetraethyl Lead poisoning of vulnerable populations. MDOT or the State of Michigan won’t or can’t seem to do anything and don’t even seem interested in protecting residents Health, Safety, and Welfare!
Special Interests & Industry Lobbyist groups believe that by showing pictures of young children in airplanes & helicopters, usually their own or their friends, or merely mentioning the words scholarship or cadet provides some special dispensation or somehow magically justifies poisoning other people with Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Tetraethyl Lead. Is this how we set examples & teach young people to respect human health and other’s schools & communities? Fine examples of truly poor management judgment and decisions.
The Most Absurd, Outrageous, Unbelievable & Insulting MDOT Headlines of 2019
Ford Motor Company and Amazon Invest $1.3B in Nearby Plymouth Township Based Rivian, MDOT Ignores Over 1M Michigan Child Blood Lead Level (BLL) Results That Show Child Lead Poisoning, So Vindictive Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists Morons at MDOT Owned Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 Airstrip Throw Another “Fathers Day Pancake Breakfast” Celebration Using MDOT Resources Paid For With Local, State & Federal Tax Dollars!
The “Fathers Day Pancake Breakfast Lead Poisoning” event is located on State of Michigan (MDOT) owned Hobby, Sport, Recreational Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip property implying that MDOT and therefore the State of Michigan endorse, condone, support, sponsor, and or otherwise approve of Lead Poisoning. This is the same weekend as Canton Township Liberty Fest, Liberty Fest Run, and precedes the Concours d’Elegance of America.
It should be noted that fund raising for Plymouth Canton Schools PCCS High School Clubs & Sports activities, e.g. Computer Clubs, Pom-Pom Squads, Cheerleaders, or Debate Teams, etc. or any other fund raising for that matter, have never been allowed at State owned Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 facilities using the full resources, equipment, and manpower made available to Special Interests & Industry Lobbyists for many years at no charge and with zero cost sharing for State of Michigan owned assets, e.g. taxpayers pick up the tab.
These MDOT actions are highly irregular, misleading, fraudulent, discriminatory, and completely inappropriate and should be halted immediately in the interest of promoting and protecting the Health, Safety, and Welfare of our most vulnerable populations including nearby school children, babies, adolescents, families, nursing & pregnant mothers, retired & elderly at the many local assisted care living & rehabilitation facilities. The 2018 MDOT event affectionately called the “MDOT Lead Poisoning Carnival”, and it’s massive environmental impact are documented in detail, and the 2019 event will be the same!
BTW: the Special Interest / Industry Lobbyist funds raised are NOT available to the general public, e.g. kids who really need the money, these awards have only been made available to select handpicked friends and family of MDOT appointed 3rd party contractor, Special Interests / Industry Lobbyists, or MDOT that meet criteria put forth to purposely limit the [phony] scholarships to meet their own biased criteria. Special Interest / Industry Lobbyist should do it the way the rest of us do AND pay for it themselves.
Other 2019 Special events for the Canton Plymouth area include:
The Canton Liberty Fest | Canton Township, MI – Official Website. The 2019 Canton Liberty Fest, sponsors include Beaumont, Community Financial, The Goddard School, IKEA, Sysco, and is hosted by Canton Township, Michigan, located at 1150 S Canton Center Road, Canton, MI 48188-1699, +1-734-394-5100. This is Canton’s 28th Annual Liberty Fest: and takes place from Thursday, June 13 thru Saturday, June 15, 2019.
The Concours d’Elegance 2019 coming to Plymouth reports the Plymouth Voice. Concours USA is located at 1728 Maplelawn Drive, Troy, Michigan 48084, +1-248-643-8645, [about], and sponsors the 2019 Concours d’Elegance of America event that will be held at the Inn at St. John’s in Plymouth Township, Michigan, which is located at 44045 Five Mile Road, Plymouth, MI 48170 [Visit Detroit] [Plymouth Chamber] [Catholic Archdiocese]. The event is held on the 2019 Concours weekend, which is July 26 thru July 28, 2019.
There are #6 key takeaways regarding Lead Poisoning of the Canton Plymouth Community and PCCS Schools in this Executive Summary below. See Lead Poisoning page for more detailed supporting information.
# – 1 – PEW– The Health Impact Project, a collaboration of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and The Pew Charitable Trusts, produced a set of recommendations entitled 10 Policies to Prevent and Respond to Childhood Lead Exposure: An assessment of the risks communities face and key federal, state, and local solutions, August 30, 2017. The 144 page (pdf) report goes on to say that by “Eliminating lead from airplane fuel would protect more than 226,000 children born in 2018 who live near airports, generate $262 million in future benefits, and remove roughly 450 tons of lead from the environment every year.”
The report also goes on to say: “In 2012, the FAA estimated that phasing out leaded fuel would take 11 years. According to a recent federal task force report, the FAA is working to identify unleaded alternative fuels for most piston engine aircraft by 2018 [FAA delayed until mid-2020 described below], and under section 231 of the Clean Air Act, the EPA is evaluating whether lead emissions from aviation fuel “cause or contribute to air pollution that may reasonably be anticipated to endanger public health or welfare.” Based on the results of its investigation, the EPA could help to expedite the elimination of lead in aviation fuel by using its authority under the act to issue an “endangerment finding,” indicating that leaded aircraft fuel emissions are polluting and harmful to public health. Such a ruling would trigger the FAA to issue standards.
However, given the extremely protracted timelines for ANY federal action, the report suggests that states should take steps to address the problem directly, by, for example, requiring all general aviation airports to provide unleaded gas or establishing fees or taxes on airports serving piston engine aircraft to support the cleanup of the soil in parks, near homes, schools, and child care facilities.” The https://close1d2.org/lead-poisoning team suggests a far more expedient solution which is to promptly close an unneeded, unwanted, non-commercially viable State owned hobby/sport/recreational airstrip located in densely populated neighborhoods very close to many schools thereby eliminating the continuous stream of lead poisoning immediately and completely, saving money for the taxpayer at the same time.
# – 2 – Myths & Realities of Leaded Aviation Fuel, prepared by Center for Environmental Health for Friends of the Earth, funding provided by The New York Community Trust, reinforces the relationship between children’s blood lead levels and the proximity of their schools and homes to airports such as 1d2 that exclusively use 100LL leaded aviation fuel for all of the piston engine aircraft and helicopters based there. Lead is highly toxic and causes a variety of adverse health effects; at low exposure levels, it can cause learning disabilities, lower IQ levels, increased blood pressure and nerve damage; at high levels of exposure, it can lead to brain damage and death. Lead puts children at especially high risk because they absorb larger amounts and are more sensitive to lead-induced toxicity. Lead exposure presents a particular danger to the development of children’s nervous systems.
Additionally, many national and international groups, including the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology (ISEE), International Network for Epidemiology (IJPC-SE), plus many others, join the Call for Action for Global Control of Lead Exposure to Eliminate Lead Poisoning (html) (pdf) (Epidemiology).
# – 3 – Lancet Medical Journal – While many might view the Flint Water Crisis as a tragic but isolated incident, a recent study in the medical journal The Lancet, Low-level lead exposure and mortality in US adults (pdf) March 12, 2018, found that exposure to low levels of lead contributes to as many as 412,000 premature deaths of residents across the United States each year.
This figure is approximately 10 times higher than what previous studies suggested, and places premature death from lead exposure almost on a par with deaths caused by smoking, which takes 483,000 American lives each year. Heart disease and Cancer are the leading cause of deaths in Michigan. Around the world everyone is realizing Lead is even deadlier than we feared as the full extent of its toxic effects are revealed. However, people must realize that Fixing America’s costly lead problem could yield billions more in benefits.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), notes children are most susceptible to the harms of lead exposure; their developing bodies absorb the toxic chemical in higher amounts and their brains and nervous systems are more sensitive to lead. Lead exposure in children may cause developmental, behavioral, and learning problems, as well as anemia, hearing problems, and irreversible damage to almost all parts of their growing bodies.
The Lancet is a weekly peer-reviewed general medical journal. It is one of the world’s oldest and also one of the best known general medical journals. In the 2014 Journal Citation Reports, The Lancet was ranked second among general medical journals, (with an impact factor of 45), after The New England Journal of Medicine (impact factor of 56).
# – 4 – The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Health hazard evaluation report #20042888 Exposures to LEAD and other metals at an aircraft repair and flight school facility (pdf) found that:
- Tetraethyl Lead [toxnet manual search] dust was found on toys and a baby walker in the work area.
- Lead was detected in blood samples collected from all facility personnel. The hangar area had the highest surface concentrations of lead; lead was also found on the steering wheel of an employee’s car.
- Employees should use disposable shoe covers and on-site laundering for work clothes to reduce the potential for take-home lead contamination. Investigators also advised that children not be allowed in work areas. Employees were encouraged to wash their hands thoroughly before eating and drinking, before and after putting on gloves, and before leaving the facility.
- Do not eat or drink in the hangar area.
- In homes with a family member exposed to lead, care must be taken to prevent “take home” of lead, that is, lead carried into the home on clothing, skin, hair, and in vehicles. Lead-contaminated surface dust represents a potential source of lead exposure, particularly for young children.
- NOTE: keep in mind the CDC has since eliminated the term “blood lead level of concern” used in this report and declared there is NO safe level of lead in children’s blood.
A related May 2003 (!) Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University [wikipedia] thesis Controlling Lead Exposure During the Process of Cleaning Aviation Spark Plugs (html) (pdf) explores controlling the lead bromide particulate matter after it is removed from the spark plug electrode. Various control methods and/or procedural changes are discussed that may be employed to control the spread of lead bromide dust throughout the shop environment and the prevention of employee exposure to lead.
# – 5 – OSHA Safety Data Sheets (SDS) & American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Specs show LEADED 100LL aviation fuel is NOT like automobile gas at all, it’s Tetraethyl Lead [toxnet manual search] mixed with many other toxic chemicals!
100LL leaded aviation fuel, or avgas, is also known as 100 octane aviation fuel, is a petroleum based fuel designed for reciprocating aircraft and helicopter engines. 100LL leaded aviation fuel adheres to ASTM Specification D 910, and contains 2.12 grams of Tetraethyl Lead [toxnet manual search] per gallon. Again, 100LL leaded aviation fuel contains many toxic chemical additives and is NOT like automobile gasoline at all. It’s a synthetic blend of chemicals, including xylene, toluene, benzene, & tetraethyl lead. The toxicity hazards of these additive chemicals are well documented.
- Safety Data Sheet (SDS) from BP for leaded aviation fuel 100LL
- SDS from Gelest for Tetraethyl Lead used in leaded aviation fuel (Gelest deleted url)
- SDS from Shell for leaded aviation fuel 100LL
- Ethylene dibromide (MDEQ EDB) (EDB) (EDB) used in 1:1 ratio with Tetraethyl Lead in 100LL.
# – 6 – FAA and EPA Delay Process of Identifying and Mandating Unleaded Fuel Alternative for Piston Engine Aircraft & Helicopters, June 21, 2018.
An update on the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) website indicates that the 2018 date for identifying an unleaded fuel alternative for piston engine aircraft has now been delayed. Per the FAA, “Based on current projected activities and timelines, the testing completion date for the PAFI program will be mid-2020.” See Aviation Gasoline: Unleaded Avgas Progress Update for details regarding toxic tetraethyl lead used in 100LL aviation fuel.
NOTE: FAA delays were originally: announced June 4, 2018 – push December 2018 to December 2019, now announced September 7, 2018 – push December 2019 to mid-2020!
Additionally, Regulations for Lead Emissions from Aircraft from the EPA based on Endangerment Findings on Lead Emissions from Aircraft fuel has been postponed by the current administration in Washington.
The EPA originally scheduled to issue a proposed finding on the question of endangerment in 2017. This proposed finding would then undergo public notice and comment. After evaluating comments on the proposal, the EPA had plans to issue a final determination in 2018. It remains uncertain as to if and when this action will be pursued.
The use of unleaded aviation fuel cannot be mandated until an endangerment finding by the EPA is issued. NOTE: this means that for the foreseeable future, certainly years, the Plymouth-Canton Mettetal 1d2 airstrip, aircraft, and helicopters have free reign to continue subjecting vulnerable populations to the toxic effects of lead pollution from 100LL aviation fuel.
See Lead Poisoning page for more detailed supporting information.
See UPDATE: May 2019 – PCCS Schools Still Being Covered with 1d2 Lead Dust for additional supporting information.
It’s interesting to note, that there does not seem to be ANY objective taxpayer voice at 1d2 Canton Plymouth Mettetal at all, everyone is a third party contractor, friends or family of a third party contractor or MDOT employee, and/or a member of one or more Special Interest or Industry Lobbyist groups that do not seem to prioritize the Health, Safety, and Welfare of the schools and community at all, go figure.
Protect the PCCS Schools & Canton Plymouth Community from Lead Poisoning
The State of Michigan has a responsibility to the taxpayers to shut down 1d2 & MI79 to Protect the Health, Safety, & Welfare of the community, densely populated neighborhoods, and schools from lead poisoning, especially the schools that are close and have many students, including Hulsing Elementary, Plymouth Christian Academy, East Middle School, Smith Elementary, and Plymouth Canton Educational Park (PCEP) described below.
- Hulsing Elementary School 8055 Fleet St., Canton, MI 48187 (Directly across the street, ~200 meters, ~270 steps from 1d2 Mettetal lead poisoning!)
- Plymouth Christian Academy, 43065 Joy Rd, Canton, MI 48187 (Directly across the street, ~190 meters, ~248 steps from 1d2 Mettetal lead poisoning!)
- East Middle School 1042 South Mill St., Plymouth, MI 48170 (Just down the street, ~950 meters, ~1230 steps from 1d2 Mettetal lead poisoning!). Google satellite shows East Middle School [Facebook] with over 75 – 100 PCCS school busses parked next to playground area, which is only 450m from Fairground Park [Facebook], and 850m from Kellogg Park Music in the Park [Arts] [City] [Concerts] [DDA] [Facebook], Downtown Plymouth [Facebook] [Twitter] [PureMI], and other Plymouth Michigan Parks & Events [Events] [Parks] [PureMI] [Weddings].
- Smith Elementary School 1298 McKinley St., Plymouth, MI 48170 (Just down the street, ~1500m, ~2040 steps from 1d2 Mettetal lead poisoning!)
- Plymouth Canton Educational Park (PCEP), and the three High schools located there which is just down the street, ~2300m, ~3100 steps from 1d2 Mettetal lead poisoning.
Hulsing Elementary School Google Maps (street|satellite) views show the hobby, sport, recreational Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip in the lower right and also shows Plymouth Christian Academy, East Middle Schools, Smith Elementary, and PCEP, all in very close proximity, obviously these schools are too dangerously close to toxic lead poisoning from 1d2 Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip.
It’s 2020, Didn’t the State of Michgan Learn Anything from Flint Lead Poisoning Debacle?
According to the EPA Lapses at all levels of government made the Flint Lead Poisoning crisis worse. The EPA needed to act more quickly. Even though the medical, scientific, and technological problems of lead poisoning are clear, government, at all levels, are still slow, don’t act at all, and get caught in the ‘analysis-paralysis’ of ‘whom is responsible’ loop hoping the problem will go away. Recognizing Lead Poisoning for what it is, constitutes a failure at all levels of government, including Local, County, and State showing severe management gaps and weaknesses. Canton Plymouth Mettetal 2018 1d2 Lead Poisoning appears to be just like the Flint Lead Poisoning Debacle all over again.
After the Flint Lead Poisoning debacle the EPA must strengthen lead poisoning oversight.“EPA needs to learn from Flint and this report,” said Mona Hanna-Attisha, the Flint pediatrician whose research in late 2015 first documented dangerously high lead levels in children’s blood. “All of the EPA lead standards are grossly inadequate and need to be updated to respect the science of ‘no safe level’ of lead exposure. Only then will we as a nation be able to fully protect the potential of our children from this preventable neurotoxin.”
Mona Hanna-Attisha (Hurley) (MSU) (MSU) (html) (html) (html) (html), who is director of pediatric residency at Hurley Children’s Hospital, is leading a group of experts including pediatricians, epidemiologists, developmental specialists, toxicologists, educators, geographers and county and state health officials. She went further to state “We cannot sit back and wait 20 years to see the consequences of lead poisoning in our schools and in our criminal justice system.”
Virginia Tech engineering professor Marc Edwards, a national authority whose Lead tests exposed the extent of Flint’s lead poisoning, told The Washington Post (2016, 2018): “People have realized they’ve been lied to, and EPA knew about this, and the state knew about this. What you really have as it spun out of control is a total loss of trust in government, which failed [residents] miserably. They don’t believe a word that anyone tells them.” Wow, this is starting to sound really familiar . . .
Marc Edwards surely knows and understands the importance of truth-seeking for scientists and engineers first hand. Professor Marc Edwards has received the Scientific Freedom and Responsibility Award, and been honored as Virginia Tech’s University Distinguished Professor, additionally the EPA has provided a $1.9 million grant to research lead poisoning where residents are struggling to get help from their governments.
Sadly, new accounting figures from July 2018 show the State of Michigan has spent nearly $25 million on attorneys handling cases involving the Flint lead crisis. Some of this money could have been better spent to protect the Health, Safety, and Welfare of babies, young children, students, families, nursing & pregnant mothers, retired & elderly at the many local assisted care living & rehabilitation facilities from Lead Poisoning by aircraft & helicopters using 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip & Helicopter MRO MI79.
Official EPA Reports Regarding Flint Lead Poisoning Debacle
The official EPA reports are available here:
EPA OIG finds management weaknesses delayed response to Flint water crisis
Recommends strengthening Safe Drinking Water Act oversight, revising Lead and Copper rule, July 19, 2018
Report: Management Weaknesses Delayed Response to Flint Water Crisis | EPA’s Office of Inspector General | US EPA
Management Weaknesses Delayed Response to Flint Water Crisis, Report at a Glance (pdf) (1 pg, 50 K)
Management Weaknesses Delayed Response to Flint Water Crisis, Report at a Glance, Full Report (pdf) (74 pp, 1 MB)
Environmental Health Perspectives A Decade Old
Environmental Health Perspectives (ISSN 1552-9924 and ISSN-L 0091-6765) is a monthly open access journal published with support from the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
As previously mentioned, Lead Poisoning from leaded 100LL aviation fuel is common knowledge and is well known in the aviation industry for over a decade! Here are two from many examples worth noting, one from 2011 and another 2008, a full decade ago!
-1- Research | Environmental Health Perspectives | Vol. 119, No. 10, A Geospatial Analysis of the Effects of Aviation Gasoline on Childhood Blood Lead Levels (pdf), First Published:13 July 2011, that notes:
- Blood lead screening data were available for 125,197 children in the study counties, including 13,478 children living within 2,000 m of an airport.
- The analysis indicates that living within 1,000 m of an airport where leaded aviation fuel 100LL is used has a significant effect on blood lead levels in children.
- The results further suggest that the impacts of avgas are highest among those children living closest to the airport.
- NOTE: keep in mind the CDC has since eliminated the term “blood lead level of concern” used in this report and declared there is NO safe level of lead in children’s blood, as would be found within 2,000 m of an airport like Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip.
-2- Review | Environmental Health Perspectives | Vol. 116, No. 10, Lead Exposures in U.S. Children, 2008: Implications for Prevention (pdf), First Published:19 May 2008, that notes:
- Not all sources of lead are listed in the U.S. EPA TRI. Some sources of lead poisoning such as Propeller aircraft using aviation gasoline (avgas) are [conveniently] exempt from reporting, fell below reporting quantities, or choose not to report; nonetheless, they can contaminate surrounding communities. For example, at one airport where many airplanes used avgas, average and maximum air lead levels were 0.030 and 0.302 μg/m3, respectively, versus background levels of 0.007 and 0.018 μg/m3 (Environment Canada 2000). Another study showed that even at an airport with few planes using avgas, air lead levels were higher downwind than upwind (Illinois Environmental Protection Agency 2002).
- Lead binds tightly to soils, and eight decades of leaded gasoline combustion and past industrial emissions have left a legacy entrained in soil.
- NOTE: keep in mind the CDC has since eliminated the term “blood lead level of concern” used in this report and declared there is NO safe level of lead in children’s blood.
Current Updates On Childhood Lead Poisoning
The Effect of Leaded Aviation Gasonline [sp] on Blood Lead in Children (html) (pdf) by Associate Professor Shawn P. McElmurry (html), Wayne State University (WSU), Detroit, Michigan et al. First published in August 2014 right in the middle of the Flint Lead Poisoning crisis / debacle as it was unfolding. It certainly makes anyone wonder WHAT did then Governor Snyder, and now MDOT and MDHHS know and WHEN did they know it. Many in the community believe that this looks like part of the same or perhaps yet another attempted Lead Poisoning related coverup. As they say, when something walks like a duck, quacks like duck, and looks like a duck, it probably IS a duck. It is so surprising that highly respected Michigan based research results and reporting using official BLL data from over 1 million Michigan children (!) supplied by the State of Michigan would go unnoticed by so many for so long. Unfortunately, only the Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel (MIAG) or maybe the Michigan Auditor General Doug Ringler (MAG) have the power and access required to really uncover the truth! This is way beyond our pay grade!
To address an EPA request for more evidence, the authors constructed a novel dataset that links time and spatially referenced Blood Lead Level (BLL) data from 1,043,391 children to hundreds of nearby airports in Michigan, as well as a subset of airports with detailed data on the volume of piston-engine aircraft traffic. The Michigan Department of Community Health, Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Project [State of Michigan] provided the blood Tetraethyl Lead data used in this study, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Health & Society Scholars Program (home) provided financial support. Additional Michigan Lead Poisoning Prevention resources [WayneCounty] [WayneCounty] [Oakland County] [Washtenaw County] [Detroit] [Detroit] [Detroit] [Ingham County].
The evidence shows that Piston Engine Aircraft (PEA) (including helicopter) traffic imposes a substantially higher burden on children within 2 km of an airport, as compared to children living beyond 2 km of an airport. More precisely, the likelihood of a child’s BLL exceeding 5 μg/dL for a standard deviation in PEA traffic is higher for children residing <2km relative to children residing >2km from an airport. Additionally, damages from [exposure to Tetraethyl Lead and other chemicals] were calculated to be at least $10 per gallon, which can be compared to a pump price [at the time] of about $6 per gallon. BTW: 2 kilometers is over 6500 feet, this amounts to a moderate walk for ~20 minutes in any direction. Additionally, NOTE: that the CDC now states that there is NO safe BLL for Tetraethyl Lead in children, period!
- Children’s exposure to sources of lead contamination, including leaded 100LL aviation fuel (avgas) continues to be an important public health concern.
- Lead has no biological role in the body, and any detectable lead level is abnormal.
- There is indisputable scientific evidence that blood lead levels (BLL) below 10 µg/dL are associated with adverse effects in infants and children.
- Each lead-exposed child costs an estimated $5600 in medical and special educational services.
- Lead exposure-related cognitive impairments cost an estimated $50.9 billion annually in lost US economic productivity.
- Studies of children with higher BLLs have consistently demonstrated lower IQ scores, more language difficulties, learning disorders, attention problems, and behavioral issues.
- Primary prevention should be the focus of policy on childhood lead toxicity.
- Low-level lead exposure, even at blood lead concentrations below 5 μg/dL (50 ppb), is a causal risk factor for diminished intellectual and academic abilities, higher rates of neurobehavioral disorders such as hyperactivity and attention deficits, and lower birth weight in children.
- No effective treatments ameliorate the permanent developmental effects of lead toxicity.
- Still, in some communities, such as those surrounding airports, airborne lead is an important source of lead exposure. Airborne lead is ingested primarily after it settles in house dust and soil where children play. Current sources of airborne lead include piston engine aircraft . . .
- The contributions of airborne lead to children’s blood lead concentrations are proportionately greater at the lower levels of exposure than at higher levels.
The Journal of the American Medical Association, March 28, 2017, Vol 317, No. 12, Pages 1191-1286, article by Reuben A, Caspi A, Belsky DW, et al., Association of Childhood Blood Lead Levels With Cognitive Function and Socioeconomic Status at Age 38 Years and With IQ Change and Socioeconomic Mobility Between Childhood and Adulthood, (pdf) JAMA. 2017;317(12): 1244–1251. (doi: 10.1001/jama.2017.1712) [PubMed][JAMA][NCBI] found that the devastating effects of childhood lead exposure could last a lifetime.
What makes this study stand out, however, is that children were found to experience long term harm after even modest levels of exposure. The conclusion was that childhood lead exposure was associated with lower cognitive function and socioeconomic status at age 38 years and with declines in IQ and downward social mobility. As the entire world seems to realize, the medical, scientific, and technological problems of lead poisoning are clear, childhood lead exposure, no matter how small, may certainly have long-term ramifications that are not obvious and observed immediately.
The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) [LinkedIn][twitter][Wikipedia] is a peer-reviewed medical journal published 48 times a year by the American Medical Association (AMA) [twitter][Wikipedia]. It publishes original research, reviews, and editorials covering all aspects of the biomedical sciences.
Plymouth Canton Community Schools (PCCS), Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) Poisoning Cause & Effect
Even the most simplistic “Cause and Effect” relationship of Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) Poisoning of vulnerable populations and its connection to Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is often overlooked and sometimes it even appears to be ignored [purposely] by Local, County, and State officials. This is even in light of the massive volume of accumulated medical and scientific evidence.
For instance it should be noted how the Alarming Increase in Autistic Students Creates Challenges for School Districts as reported in [HomeTownLife]. Locally, this means the Plymouth-Canton Community Schools (PCCS) District faces a staggering 47% increase in the number of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) students enrolled in the PCCS School District since 2010.
NOTE: Representative Matt Koleszar is hosting an Education Town Hall to provide an opportunity for parents and students to learn about legislative issues impacting our neighborhood schools.
When: Monday, Sept. 23, from 6:30 to 8 p.m.
Where: Eriksson Elementary, 1275 N. Haggerty Road in Canton (google map).
Of course, the following abbreviated list represents just a tiny sampling and NOT an official or thorough survey of the tidal wave of accumulated medical and scientific evidence linking Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) Poisoning to Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD):
- Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and Lead Poisoning: Diagnostic Challenges and Management Complexities (html). Hauptman, M., Stierman, B., & Woolf, A. D. (2019). Clinical Pediatrics, 58(6), 605–612. [PubMed html]. https://doi.org/10.1177/0009922819839237.
- Baby Teeth Link Autism and Heavy Metals (html) 2017, NIH study suggests | National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Long-Lasting Effects of Childhood Lead Poisoning (html) 2017 – Consumer Reports.
- Environmental Chemical Exposures and Neurodevelopmental Impairments In Children – Bellinger – Pediatric Medicine (html) (pdf) doi: 10.21037/pm.2018.11.03, Bellinger DC. Pediatr Med 2018;1:9.
- Blood Lead Concentrations and Children’s Behavioral and Emotional Problems: A Cohort Study | Anxiety Disorders | JAMA Pediatrics | JAMA Network (html) (pdf) JAMA Pediatr. 2014;168(8):737-745. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2014.332, Journal American Medical Association (JAMA) (PubMed html) (PubMed pdf).
- Childhood Lead Exposure and Attention-Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder Symptoms: A Meta- Analysis, 2018, Walden University ScholarWorks, Walden Dissertations and Doctoral Studies Collection (html) (pdf)
- The Association between Lead and Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: A Systematic Review, 2019, (html) (pdf) (PubMed html) (PubMed html) (PubMed pdf).
- Screening for Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Children: A Systematic Review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force – PubMed – NCBI (PubMed html). Evidence Synthesis Number 174. Prepared for: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality https://www.ahrq.gov. (PubMed html) (PubMed pdf) AHRQ Publication No. 18-05245-EF-1 April 2019.
- Screening for Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Pregnant Women: A Systematic Review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force – PubMed – NCBI (PubMed html). Evidence Synthesis Number 175, Prepared for: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality https://www.ahrq.gov. (PubMed html) (PubMed pdf) AHRQ Publication No. 18-05245-EF-2 April 2019.
- Children and ADHD: What you need to know| MIBluesPerspectives (html). Michigan Blue Cross & Blue Shield, April 1, 2019. Despite extensive research, any exact cause(s) of ADHD is still inconclusive. However, evidence strongly suggests links to genetics and environmental factors such as lead poisoning. The latest Health of America Report (pdf) from Blue Cross Blue Shield has more data (xlsx) on ADHD and its growing impact on children and adolescents. Read the full report here, that presents statistics that everyone in Michigan should be concerned about.
- Early Childhood Lead Exposure and Academic Achievement: Evidence from Detroit Public Schools, 2008–2010 (PubMed html) (PubMed pdf).
- Lead (Pb) Toxicity: What Are the Physiologic Effects of Lead Exposure? (html) (pdf) | Center for Disease Control (CDC), Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) – Environmental Medicine & Environmental Health Education – Case Studies in Environmental Medicine (CSEM).
- Lead poisoning – Symptoms and causes – Mayo Clinic (html). Lead poisoning occurs when lead builds up in the body, often over months or years. Even small amounts of lead can cause serious health problems. Children younger than 6 years are especially vulnerable to lead poisoning, which can severely affect mental and physical development.
It seems that when you put Tetraethyl Lead on pregnant women, babies, and school children, or any vulnerable populations for that matter, this is what happens. What are these people thinking? Tetraethyl Lead doesn’t disappear or go away by itself, right “Captain Obvious”?
See more references on page “1 million Michigan Child BLLs Show MDOT Lead Poisoning Coverup” for further evidence directly linking Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) Poisoning.
When anyone sees the overwhelming mountain of medical and scientific evidence, it appears the only conclusion is that MDOT’s main purpose & sole mission is to promote & protect the MDOT Flying Club Special Interest & Industry Lobbyist Clique and NOT Michigan’s vulnerable populations, go figure.
Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) and Ethylene Dibromide (EDB) Used in 100LL Aviation Fuel, PFASs and Dioxane Are All Endocrine Disruptor Compounds (EDC) Extensively Used in Aviation Related Activities.
Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) and Ethylene Dibromide (EDB) used in 100LL Aviation Fuel and Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) and Dioxane are all Endocrine Disruptor Compounds (EDC) used extensively in Aviation related activities.
- Tetraethyllead | Pb(C2H5)4 – PubChem – (CAS 78-00-2)
- EDB | 1,2-Dibromoethane | Br(CH2)2Br – PubChem – (CAS 106-93-4) (EPA pdf) (WI DHS)(NJ DOH) (ATSDR) (ToxFAQs)
- Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) (EPA) (NIEHS) (CDC) (LiveScience)
- Dioxane | C4H8O2 – PubChem – (CAS 123-91-1)
A research report by the Swiss Federal Department of the Environment, Transport, Energy and communications DETEC, Federal Office of Civil Aviation FOCA, Aviation Policy and Strategy Environmental Affairs, titled “Aircraft Piston Engine Emissions Summary” (pdf) brings up another dirty little aviation secret that is all but ignored, obscured, and most likely hidden on purpose.
Leaded 100LL aviation fuel contains a similar amount of ethylene dibromide (EDB), usually a 1:1 ratio, e.g. 2.12 grams of Ethyl Bromide are combined with 2.12 grams of Tetraethyl Lead AKA Pb(C2H5)4 (CAS # 78-00-2) per gallon of aviation fuel. Ethyl Bromide AKA Bromoethane AKA CH3CH2Br (CAS # 74-96-4) is used to remove (scavenge) lead deposits from the combustion parts of the engine. Otherwise spark plugs can be destroyed and deposits on valves can obstruct their proper operation. Ethyl Bromide, or the scavenger, is an environmentally harmful substance, believed to be carcinogenic, is an EDC and contributes to stratospheric ozone depletion (EPA EDB Hazard Summary 106-93-4) (EDB was banned under International Rotterdam Convention) (IRC home).
Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), Endocrine Disrupting Compounds (EDCs), and heavy metals in amniotic fluid: a case-control study (09 January 2019) | Molecular Autism | (html) (pdf) Existing studies of autism suggest that prenatal metal exposure may be related to autism. Exposure to Pb (Lead) during neurodevelopment has significant effects on neurobehavioral and intellectual performance, also resulting in attention, hyperactivity, and learning disorders. Lead poisoning has been suggested as a possible risk factor for autism, as Pb (Lead) blood levels of autistic children have been reported to be significantly higher than those of healthy children. Previous studies have shown that perinatal exposure to Mn, Pb (Lead), and Cd from air pollution increased ASD risk. In this study, the authors observed that As and Pb (Lead) levels in AF tend to be positively associated with ASD risk, suggesting the possible role of prenatal exposure to toxic metals in the ASD development.
The study summarized that environmental endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs), such as PFAS, some metals (including Lead), and their biological activities can be detected in amniotic fluid, indicating that EDCs can cross the placenta and increase the potential fetal exposure to these environment contaminants. EDCs might modify ASD risk by influencing the hormone receptor function.
Early Life Exposure to Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals and Childhood Obesity and Neurodevelopment, 2016 Nov 18, (html) (pdf). EDCs may increase the risk of childhood neurodevelopmental disorders by interfering with early life thyroid hormone signaling or metabolism. Thyroid hormones play a critical role in neuronal migration, synaptogenesis, and myelination during gestation and childhood. Even clinically non-significant variations in maternal thyroxine or thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) levels during pregnancy are associated with reduced cognitive abilities, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) symptoms, and increased autism risk.
A couple of key points of several noted:
- Endocrine disrupting chemicals may increase the risk of childhood neurodevelopmental disorders or obesity by disrupting hormonally-mediated processes during critical periods of development.
- The developing fetus, infant, and child may have enhanced sensitivity to environmental stressors like EDCs and greater exposure to some EDCs because of developmentally appropriate behavior, anatomy, and physiology.
Of course, the following abbreviated list represents just a tiny sampling and NOT an official or thorough survey of the tidal wave of accumulated medical and scientific evidence:
- Higher lead in topsoil boosts probability of cognitive difficulties in five-year-old boys, (MedicalExpress), April 10, 2019
- Pregnant Moms’ Air Pollution Exposure May Affect Babies’ Health | The Scientist Magazine® (html), Sep 23, 2019
- Call to Action on Neurotoxin Exposure in Pregnant Women and Children | Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorders | JAMA | JAMA Network | (html)
- The Emerging Clinical Neuroscience of Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Review | Autism Spectrum Disorders | JAMA Psychiatry | JAMA Network | (html)
- U.S. Air Quality Was Improving. Now It’s Getting Worse, and data shows more people are dying (PBS) (APNews) (Bloomberg) (WashingtonPost)
- PFAS Chemicals: EDCs Contaminating Our Water and Food Supply | Endocrine Society (html)
- Experts warn PFAS endocrine-disrupting chemicals may drive obesity, osteoporosis (html)
- A restatement of the natural science evidence based on the effects of endocrine disrupting chemicals on wildlife | Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences (html) (pdf)
- Clinical Epigenetics | Home page (html)
- Pollution and epigenetics (html)
- Air pollution-induced placental alterations: an interplay of oxidative stress, epigenetics, and the aging phenotype? | Clinical Epigenetics | (html) (pdf)
- Ethylene Dibromide (EDB) – EveryCRSReport.com, (html) (pdf) Ethylene Dibromide (EDB) IP0280E, Congressional Research Service, The Library of Congress, 01-31-1985!
- Dirty Dozen Endocrine Disruptors | EWG (html)
- What is Endocrine Disruption? | Endocrine Disruption | US EPA (html)
- Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals EDCs | Hormone Health Network (html)
- Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals | Hormone Health Network (html)
- WHO | Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals (EDCs) (html)
- The Gerald R. Ford International Airport in Grand Rapids Michigan claims ‘water is safe,’ but won’t say where – Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances. This seems to be typical Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT), behavior, e.g. avoiding, obscuring, and even hiding the truth from taxpayers when confronted (html)
- Endocrine Disruptors (pdf), National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Endocrine Disruptors: from Scientific Evidence to Human Health Protection, March 2019 (pdf) This research paper was requested by the European Parliament’s Committee on Petitions and commissioned, overseen and published by the Policy Department for Citizen’s Rights and Constitutional Affairs.
- Critical Windows of Development Timeline — The Endocrine Disruption Exchange (html)
- Home — The Endocrine Disruption Exchange (html)
- PFAS Update 2019: Emerging Contaminants – What’s New, And What’s Next?
By Stephanie R. Feingold Drew Cleary Jordan, April 24, 2019 (pdf), states that many different Theories of Liability Being Pursued: Public Nuisance and Private Nuisance, Trespass, negligence, Abnormally Dangerous/Ultra Hazardous Activities, Failure to Warn, Claims for both Property Damage and Personal Injury/Medical Monitoring, and possibly Fraud and or State Statutory Consumer Protection Statutes & Other State Codified Analogs of Common Law Claims.
Why Isn’t the State of Michigan Stopping the Lead Poisoning of PCCS Schools & Canton Plymouth Community from a Completely Unneeded State Owned Hobby, Sport, Recreational Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 Airstrip?
Wow MDOT non-sense has been going on almost 3 Years, since demanding our State of Michigan Elected Officials and Departments (#1 April 2017 & #2 September 2017 , #3 January 2019 to Governor Whitmer, #4 April 2019, more emails to be published soon) protect the Health, Safety, and Welfare of babies, young children, students, families, nursing & pregnant mothers, retired & elderly at the many local assisted care living & rehabilitation facilities from Lead Poisoning by aircraft & helicopters using 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip & Helicopter MRO MI79.
Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip is still “Open for Business As Usual” for over two years. When is the State of Michigan going to take action to protect our vulnerable populations from MDOT Lead Poisoning?
There is NO end in sight and NO protection of the Health, Safety, and Welfare of PCCS Schools, Canton, Plymouth, and surrounding neighborhoods, and the community at large, including babies, young children, students, families, nursing & pregnant mothers, retired & elderly at the many local assisted care living & rehabilitation facilities!
NOTE: Million $ Personal Helicopters, Staudacher S600F Professional Stunt Planes, Cirrus SR-22s starting at $539,000+, owners with multiple airplanes, it’s all about money and Special Interests & Industry Lobbyist influence enabled by MDOT – The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) at a State of Michigan (SoM) owned Hobby, Sport, Recreational Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip located in densely populated Canton & Plymouth neighborhoods & PCCS Schools at the expense of the Health, Safety, and Welfare (MDHSS) of the most vulnerable populations subjected to a continuous stream of Lead Poisoning. MDOT– the Michigan Department of Transportation, a State of Michigan Department that prioritizes their Hobby, Sport, Recreational activities while ignoring Community Health, Safety, and Welfare is not only unethical and shameful, it’s just plain disgusting, Michigan deserves better!
The unethical, greedy, self-centered, MDOT, Special Interest, and Industry Lobbyist actions are unfair to FAA budgets and cheat the other 25,000 airports all across the country that have legitimate budget requests and really require positive funding & support in their respective communities. Additionally, MDOT, Special Interests, Industry Lobbyists, and individual aircraft owners and pilots at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 have betrayed the public trust, and have damaged the reputation and integrity of the Aviation, Aerospace, & Defense community at large with past & continued hostile, immature, selfish behaviors with total disregard of schools, neighborhoods, & community. A very sad waste of taxpayer hard earned dollars!
MDOT officials should be held accountable for the obvious, well known, common knowledge of foreseeable lead poisoning personal injury, property damage, and cleanup costs just as a Federal Judge reinstates previous Michigan Governor Rick Snyder as defendant as new evidence was presented that show many believe ‘He covered it up‘ as the Flint Lead Poisoning Debacle lawsuit proceeds. This new move now puts his personal wealth at risk.
It does not matter where the toxic lead comes from, Ann Arbor Public Schools are monitoring high lead levels in an effort to protect students, the Ann Arbor School System realizes that lead is toxic even at low levels of 5 parts per billion, why isn’t PCCS Schools and Plymouth & Canton monitoring for toxic lead to protect our students too regardless of where the lead originates? Ann Arbor school officials have immediately laid out a response plan for lead in schools.
Shortly after announcing the initial plan the Ann Arbor School System is quickly and wisely increasing the response to any child lead exposure levels. Most recently, the city of Ann Arbor has agreed to release information under Michigan’s FOIA law about past and present lead component locations that may require additional replacements due to potential lead contamination concerns. Ann Arbor is trying to stay ahead of the curve re water testing and filtering.
The demands for Community Protection under law are reasonable, & simple really:
- Taxpayers demand protection of our schools & community from lead poisoning
- Non-flying Taxpayers shouldn’t be forced to pay for several dozen well to do pilots to use Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 Airstrip as excess capacity exists more appropriately elsewhere all while taxpayers are forced to pay for Roads with a 20 year millage increase! This is after Canton Township siphoned $10 million from the township’s general fund — money that could have been better spent — to complement cash-strapped Wayne County, which has jurisdiction over township roads, but lacks the money to fix the problem. Michigan DOT spends $154 per capita vs Pennsylvania spend of $530 per capita which costs Michigan residents $865 vs $377 per capita nationally!
Voters Wisely Flush Patrick Colbeck, Jeff Noble, and Joe Barone!
Thank goodness! Voters decided to wisely flush Patrick Colbeck, Jeff Noble, and Joe Barone to ensure the community receives protection of the Health, Safety, and Welfare of babies, young children, students, families, nursing and pregnant mothers, retired and elderly at the many local assisted care living and rehabilitation facilities, our most vulnerable populations, from toxic effects of lead pollution from 100LL aviation fuel used by aircraft, and helicopters at Plymouth-Canton Mettetal 1d2 airstrip. BTW: NONE of the three have children or grandchildren in the Plymouth Canton Community Schools (PCCS) System.
Representative Jeff Noble has done absolutely nothing to protect the PCCS Schools & Canton Plymouth Community when first notified in April 2017 while saying that he would pursue EPA Lead Tests in January 2018. Ok, Representative Jeff Noble what’s taking so long to protect the community and why haven’t YOU done something, anything thus far? The old web sites are gone, but the damage is done: www.votejeffnoble.com and OurJefNoble.com! Representative Jeff Noble is on the House Families, Children, and Seniors Committee, House Health Policy Committee, and the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.
It’s time to start asking the committees that Representative Jeff Noble is on just what actions Representative Jeff Noble has taken to protect the Health, Safety, and Welfare of babies, young children, students, families, nursing & pregnant mothers, retired & elderly at the many local assisted care living & rehabilitation facilities from Lead poisoning by aircraft & helicopters using 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip & Helicopter MRO MI79?
Is this really how Representative Jeff Noble “Makes protecting Michigan’s Children a top Priority?”
Senator Patrick Colbeck when told about the Lead Poisoning by aircraft & helicopters using 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip & Helicopter MRO MI79 simply replied “Hey wait a minute, I’m a pilot” and the conversation ended. After repeated calls over several months to Penny Crider, his District Manager, she stated that “Senator Colbeck is waiting for an EPA determination!”
Gee whiz, we can thank Senator Patrick Colbeck for his legacy contribution, that is knowingly remaining silent (acquiesce), to 8 years of lead poisoning of our schools and community. BTW: lead poisoning from 100LL leaded aviation fuel is common knowledge and is well known in the aviation industry for over a decade. It’s pretty clear that we can add “Community Health Malpractice” to the list of reasons why there’s really No place for Senator Patrick Colbeck in Michigan’s future!
The web sites “Patrick Colbeck for Governor” or “Colbeckforgovernor.com” are gone but you can’t still ask why he didn’t do anything about lead poisoning at Principled Solutions for Michigan. Why did a self proclaimed Aerospace Engineer, do absolutely nothing to protect the Health, Safety, and Welfare of babies, young children, students, families, nursing & pregnant mothers, retired & elderly at the many local assisted care living & rehabilitation facilities from Lead Poisoning by aircraft & helicopters using 100LL Leaded Aviation Fuel at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip & Helicopter MRO MI79?
After meeting with Wayne County Commissioner District 10 Joe Barone for the first time, when asked he stated that his children attended private schools and NOT Plymouth Canton Community Schools (PCCS), the conversation was technically over at that point and ended quickly. Many calls later Wayne County Commissioner District 10 Joe Barone failed to respond in any fashion re any interest in lead poisoning of schools and the community, period.
A brief recap:
- Patrick Colbeck [somehow] reached term limits for Michigan Senate District 7, and failed primary bid for Governor. Patrick Colbeck didn’t protect the community from lead poisoning, nobody is quite sure who would hire a self-proclaimed Aerospace Engineer (bozo) at this point? [ballotpedia][Facebook][Facebook][Twitter][wikipedia][Pseudoscience][Ridiculous][Conspiracy][Conspiracy].
- Joe Barone failed re-election bid for Wayne County Commissioner District 10 [ballotpedia][Facebook]. Joe Barone didn’t protect the community from lead poisoning, but maybe Joe can get his old job back?
- Jeff Noble failed bid for Michigan State Representative District 20. [ballotpedia][Facebook][Facebook][Facebook][Twitter]. Jeff Noble didn’t protect the community from lead poisoning, but maybe Jeff can get one of his two old jobs back?
Collectively, taxpayers, and the Plymouth Canton Community School System (PCCS) can thank all three of you for your combined and continued efforts to knowingly remaining silent (acquiesce) adding to the “Community Health Malpractice & Negligence” for failing to do anything to protect the Health, Safety, and Welfare of babies, young children, Plymouth Canton Community School System (PCCS) students, families, nursing and pregnant mothers, retired and elderly at the many local assisted care living and rehabilitation facilities, our most vulnerable populations, from toxic effects of lead pollution from 100LL aviation fuel used by aircraft, and helicopters at Plymouth-Canton Mettetal 1d2 airstrip.
Patrick, Joe, Jeff – there is still some time, no matter how brief, left in 2018 for some miracle to occur. So if there’s been a grievous mistake and any of you did or do decide to take some, or any action at all, even while finishing your terms as lame lame ducks, to protect the PCCS schools and community from lead poisoning, please send an email and the facts will be updated accordingly!
It’s 2020, and There Was Never Any Response From Any of These Clowns!
It appears that nobody, especially MDOT, seems to care about protecting the Health, Safety, & Welfare of vulnerable populations from leaded aviation fuel used at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip? I guess that the community has to wait and see exactly what the newly elected officials State of Michigan class of 2019 does?
No elected officials (politicians) or any public officials have made any statement about protecting the Health, Safety, & Welfare of vulnerable populations to date!
MDOT sent a lame excuse ridden MDOT May 9, 2019 Response, more on this later as it relates to yet another Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel Lead poisoning coverup, SEE: 1 million Michigan Child BLLs Show MDOT Lead Poisoning Coverup.
2020: Time for new Canton Township Leadership, & to Flush Three More Stooges!
2020 is the time for Knowledgeable, Responsible, and Accountable Canton Township Leadership from someone like Ann-Marie Graham-Hudak [Canton] [Canton] [Crains] [Crains] [PlymouthVoice] [Ford Facebook]. Canton Township needs a respected Leader that will stand up for our Community and actively promote and protect the Health, Safety, and Welfare of our most vulnerable populations including many nearby school children, babies, adolescents, families, nursing & pregnant mothers, retired & elderly at the many local assisted care living & rehabilitation facilities from Lead Poisoning from Leaded 100LL Aviation Fuel used at Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip!
2020 is also the time to flush three more stooges, clowns, and blowhards not to mention self-proclaimed Lead Poisoning experts: Williams [Canton] [Canton], Siegrist [Canton], and Anthony [Canton]! The Community cannot afford to let these three almost comedic bozos to continue to schlep around and drag our community and its community health and reputation down with their combined and continued efforts to knowingly remaining silent (acquiesce) adding to sum of the Community Health Malpractice & Negligence.
Take Action to Protect PCCS Schools & Canton Plymouth Community from Lead Poisoning from State Owned Hobby, Sport, Recreational 1d2 Canton Plymouth Mettetal Airstrip
The only way to protect the community from lead poisoning from 100LL leaded aviation fuel is to demand the shutdown of:
Hobby, Sport, Recreational only
Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip
8550 NORTH LILLEY RD
CANTON, MI 48187
Helicopter Sales/Demo Office, &
Industrial Helicopter MRO MI79
8351 RONDA DR
CANTON, MI 48187
The community must make as many calls, send as many emails as you can, to as many recipients on the Contacts page as possible to demand closure of the State of Michigan Owned Hobby, Sport, Recreational Canton Plymouth Mettetal 1d2 airstrip and Private Executive Heliport, Helicopter Sales/Demo Office, & Industrial Helicopter MRO MI79, only then will our Elected Officials and State of Michigan departments react!
While financial considerations are secondary to protecting Health, Safety, & Welfare of vulnerable populations, there is a also mandatory requirement to reorganize MDOT to remove the stranglehold of the MDOT bureaucracy on infrastructure essential to the Future of Michigan and place control back in the hands of Taxpayers and their elected officials!
The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Bureaucracy, as with all public servants, must abide by the highest standards of the State of Michigan (SoM) set forth by Governor Whitmer [PressRelease] [html] [pdf] [Ethics] and be held accountable for knowingly remaining silent (acquiesce) while contributing to the sum of Community Health, Safety, & Welfare negligence & malpractice, financial waste, misuse of taxpayer funds and the consequences of public funding abuse (html)!
See Lead Poisoning page for more detailed supporting information.
See UPDATE: April May – PCCS Schools Still Being Covered with 1d2 Lead Dust for additional supporting information.
Lead Poisoning of Canton Plymouth Community Continues Unabated!
It’s time to take back our community! All across the country people are realizing that old airstrips like 1d2 Canton-Plymouth Mettetal that start out in a rural area and are now embedded in densely populated neighborhoods are a thing of the past. The eventual closure of 1d2 is just a matter of time based on many factors affecting the community.
1d2 Canton-Plymouth Mettetal is a serious community health concern as a major source of highly toxic lead pollution, is unsafe and very dangerous, a hostile, unfriendly environment to anyone outside of the 1d2 clique, was never required or needed, is still not and never has been economically viable, is a huge tax burden, and is a real, concrete deterrent to education, business, and technology progress & development locally.
1d2 is a complete duplication of three very close, much better equipped, and more appropriate airport/runway facilities. 1d2 is a complete frivolous waste of taxpayers hard earned time and money! 1d2 has been a focal point of continual dissension since the ’70s. Now is the time to take action and #DT1D2A “Drain the 1d2 Airstrip” and as a community come to our senses and finally close 1D2 once and for all!
1d2 is strictly a personal hobby, recreational, sport venue airstrip, there are no other jobs other than third party management company jobs minimally cleaning the 1d2 facilities, lawn cutting, and snow plowing. There is no economically viable business that is dependent on this location. 1d2 has no local relevance, has no regional relevance, and has never been considered critical infrastructure to anyone except MDOT employees.
1d2 is a 25 year old State of Michigan owned dilapidated, worn out, failed experiment on “taxpayer life support” and taxpayers are sick and tired of paying for the convenience of several dozen hangar renters, and a couple minor business concerns headquartered in other communities taking advantage of taxpayers via State and Federal handouts. There is NO tangible or demonstrable reason to the majority (99.97%) of the taxpayers in local communities, surrounding counties, or of the entire State of Michigan, that they can see to pay for 1d2 to be there at all!
There are 22 airports within 50 miles of 1d2 that receive 51.4% of the total MDOT/FAA NPIAS 2017-2021 budget for the entire State of Michigan. This amounts to $365,600,480.00 out of $714,881,838.00. With rapidly decreasing personal pilot/aircraft numbers and shrinking demographics, the surrounding 22 airports can easily absorb any and all activities from 1d2.
Not surprisingly, 1D2 is operated by a third party management company that does NOT appear to be beholden, accountable, or controllable by the State of Michigan, MDOT, or the FAA.
But, firstly, the major challenge is to help the most vulnerable and defenseless, our children. We need to protect & defend them from the devastating effects and impact from continuous toxic lead poisoning right here in our own backyard at 1d2. This is described in detail in the section on lead poisoning via piston engine aircraft using 100LL leaded gasoline at 1d2. BTW this includes piston engine helicopters, which are without question some of the largest toxic lead emitters based on their highly inefficient operation and huge fuel consumption.
Secondly, the additional major goals of this web site to close 1d2 are to:
- Share – knowledge, information, and skills regarding contacts, laws, regulations, processes, procedures, gleaned from the collective experience of everyone of our volunteers, stakeholders, and the community so everyone can be accurately informed, completely up to date, and learn how, where, and who to report 1d2 complaints and problems to. Lets all get on the same page!
- Unite – all stakeholders, including families, neighborhood homeowner associations (HOAs), schools, the ACLU of Michigan, universities, colleges, churches, hospitals, government agencies, businesses, and all interested parties that want to save the larger community from continued 1d2 lead poisoning and prolonged damage.
- Protect & Defend – our children, families, and the community, whether it’s Canton, Plymouth, or the whole tri-county area, including Westland, Northville, Novi, Livonia, and surrounding areas. We are all ONE community in unity against 1d2 lead poisoning!
- Gather – all feedback and pay it forward. Especially from people that have complained repeatedly over the years and have not heard or seen any consistent visible or tangible results or that have been subjected to 1d2 arrogance, hostility, harassment, or discrimination, whether in person, in the skies above our homes, or online. 1d2 complaints have been completely ignored, discarded, never recorded anywhere, and reported to no one so no historical records exist. Everyone we talk to feels that there is a lot of relevant feedback just waiting out there. Up to now nobody could find a suitable responsible party, or more accurately anywhere to report complaints to. Please help or contribute anyway that you can as this effort requires as much community feedback and participation as possible to finish the job at hand!
- Promote – a healthier, safer, community and properly utilize the full 63 acres of property at 1d2 for the mutual benefit of everyone not just commercial and special interests and a privileged few. Let’s use everyone’s time and efforts to convert the 1d2 nightmare into something useful for all to generate high tech jobs, tax revenues, and a new vibrant community “green space” together as a community family and team.
- Donate – please volunteer any time and/or donate resources via Paypal to support a joint community effort to close 1d2 that will make a real impact for our children. While the costs are low, there are still costs nonetheless. All donations over and beyond the actual costs plus a small operating reserve will be provided to Canton Township to support student scholarships, provide assistance for battered and abused women via National Domestic Violence HOTLINE, help service members via the USO, or help fund the Yankee Air Museum (Yes! we are proud as some of our fathers helped build Willow Run!) as the Township Supervisor sees fit. Thank you so much to everyone for the generous donations that have helped thus far, it is greatly appreciated!
Also available at:
http://closemettetal.org describes mettetal airport at 8550 North Lilley Road, Canton Michigan, 48187
keywords and local features impacted by lead poisoning and safety issues at “1d2”: the recognized “airport code” for 1d2 Canton-Plymouth Mettetal airport in Canton Township, Michigan, and Plymouth, Michigan is “1d2” and will used throughout the web site for brevity. PCCS is abbreviation for Plymouth Canton Community Schools. June 18, 2017, annual father’s day pancake breakfast fly-in at 1d2 canton-plymouth mettetal airport, regarding lead poisoning, lead exposure, Tonquish Creek, flying Lessons, Mettetal Airport History, Mettetal Airport Open House, Willow Creek, Shuart Drain, Sheldon Road Wetlands, Huron-Clinton Metroparks, Lower River Rouge Recreational Trail, Morton Taylor Mountain Bike Trail, Lower River Rouge Trailhead, Environmental Toxicity, environmental disaster, Canton Township, Michigan Trail System Overview, airport near canton mi, flying club, airwave, aero, landing at canton-plymouth mettetal (1d2), aviation, 8550 North Lilley Road, Canton Michigan, 48187, Airport & FBO info, parking info, drone no-fly zone, aircraft charter, photos, weather, MDOT, Michigan Department of Transportation, helicopter charter. 26th Annual Canton Township Michigan Liberty Fest at Heritage Park, Thursday June 15 thru Saturday June 17, 2017, behind the Canton Administration Building and the Canton Public Library, just west of Canton Center Road between Cherry Hill and Summit Parkway, 46000 Summit Parkway Canton, MI 48188. Wetlands environmental impact, Father’s Day Pancake Breakfast at Mettetal Airport in Canton, Plymouth – Canton-Plymouth Mettetal Airport fun place to fly, Mettetal airport flying lessons, flight school, flight instruction, Plymouth Canton Mettetal airport. University of Michigan Mcity, American Center for Mobility at Willow Run, focus on autonomous vehicle technology and other high technology companies. Plymouth Michigan art in the park, Old Village Restaurant Crawl, a Taste of Plymouth, Friday Night Music in the Park, historic Plymouth’s main street, Kellogg Park, Kellogg Fountain, city of Plymouth Michigan 150th birthday, 150th anniversary, Plymouth Community Band, Plymouth Downtown Development Authority, Plymouth Historical Museum, Plymouth-based Michigan Philharmonic orchestra, Kiwanis Club, the Plymouth Historical Museum, the Penn Theatre, Penn Theater, Plymouth Recreation & Arts Complex, the Plymouth DDA, the city of Plymouth Michigan, the Plymouth Community Chamber of Commerce, the Plymouth District Library and the Old Village Association, http://www.plymouthmich.org or http://www.downtownplymouth.org, Mayflower condominium, historic Plymouth, Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha. Plymouth 150th Anniversary Celebration with a Fourth of July parade and an ice cream social, annual ice festival, Daisy Air Rifle factory. Michigan’s second largest art fair, Canton “grub crawl”. Plymouth Old Village Restaurant Crawl, Annual Plymouth Fall Festival, Mettetal Airport picnic. The Starkweather Lofts, situated between the city’s historic Old Village area and Hines Park. Plymouth International Ice Sculpture Festival. Plymouth Ice Festival – Plymouth Rocks! – Plymouth Michigan – Presented by the Plymouth Chamber of Commerce – Great things to do in Plymouth Michigan – http://www.plymouthmich.org/Plymouth-Ice-Festival_ET908S34.html. An experimental “flying car” aircraft crashed on Friday during a test run at Willow Run (YIP) Airport, injuring the male pilot and prompting an FAA investigation Friday December 16, 2018. The Experimental Amateur Built (E-AB) N112SD flying car was built at Canton Plymouth Mettetal (1d2) airport, the FAA is investigating further. The experimental flying car unexpectedly goes airborne, and crashes at Willow Run. Somehow, the plane took flight and then crashed. The owner/pilot was the only person on the aircraft. He was taken to the University of Michigan Hospital by paramedics. City of Plymouth Wins 4-Star Rating for Economic Development. Shopping Near Me | You’ll Find it on Ford Rd in Canton MI https://www.shopcanton.org/, Concours d’Elegance 2019 coming to Plymouth Township, Michigan.